Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
ignition lock cylinder removal

can anyone offer assistance to remove the lock cylinder in a 92 525i cant get the steering to unlock cant get the icnition cylinder out thats it to the point, ive been trying to do the paper clip deal but i cant get it to release, are there any tricks to getting this cylinder out thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
well, what i did was remove the tumbler and then i saw the mechanisn that releases the lock cylinder, had to cut the black ring which is metal used my dremel cut that released the tumler and pulled the entire key and tumbler out gave me access to the slot to release the cylinder,mines was ragged anyway lock cylinder on the net for about 55 dollars,but inside there is a piece of alluminun that mate the lock cylinder to the ignition switch it is broken that piece is made in a way that when you turn the key it releases the steering wheel well thats my dilema whew hope to get the parts todaygonna check with the dealer then wrecking yard next,well thats why the ignition switch had a no connect feeling and the key would turn but wouldnt unlock the steering wheel or ingage the ignition so it not actually the lock cylinder that is causing the problem its the mating alluminun piece that mate the cylider to ignition switch. whew!!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: pos
hey

I have this same problem. could you elaborate a little more on the fix. its a piece of metal that connects the cylinder to the ignition? got any pics
Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: pos
never mind I found what i needed lol
Old 09-01-2009, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 90 BMW 535i
Unhappy 1990 BMW 535i lock cylinder problem

Hello All I'm am new member. My problem is I went to Lil' Caesar's pizza (1st mistake) to get one for one of the guys in the shop. When I came out I put my key in the ignition but it would not turn. Had car towed back to the shop, dismantled the lock cylinder as per instructions in the 535i series shop manual, but got stuck on the step indicating to turn the key to position II, insert pin etc. My lock cylinder will not turn. I've also tried to remove the steering wheel to replace the whole machanism. At which time I ran into the brick wall again, it seems you have to turn the key to remove the steering wheel. Does anyone know how to get around this/these problem(s)? If so please help...

Regards,

Pat Hall
Old 09-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1990 535i, 1999 911
I had the same problem last April. I went to leave work and the steering would not unlock. After towing the car home I started the paperclip in the hole drill. It took forever but I got all the planets to line up and it came out. It was a combination of turning the key and pushing the paperclip. The switch just popped out. Then I took a screwdriver and removed the broken cam that was all of the problem. I was surprised when BMW sold me an entire housing unit with a new steering lock and cam, not just the part I needed. I also got the breakaway bolts required with this changeout. I went ahead and changed the entire unit out .Not as bad as you might think. Just be carefull with the plastic signal and wiper switches. I also took the steering lock mechinisim OUT so this NEVER happens again. I guess I will just have to chance it not having a steering lock... Oh Well........
Old 09-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 90 535iM
I am in the process of doing this too.
It is a pain in the butt!
Here is a website to help you, but I still haven't got mine out and I have spent about a half hour or more on it!!!!!!
http://evansweb.info/articles/2003/0...on-lock-barrel
Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
I tried a large paper clip, a small paper clip, a large safety pin, but the bobby pin of normal size worked. Bend the last 1/8 of an inch inward about 1/8 of an inch. Turn key until your at the place where the bobby pin will slide in it stops when it is in far enough. Turn the bobby pin counter clock wise about half way while pulling on the barrel (cylinder). THIS worked for my 1992 525i. After I got it out I tried to make the paper clips work and safety pin work but they never did. You can also buy piano wire .50 and make a tool I know it works well.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
The genuine lock housing part number for my 02/92 ended in a 3 there are a few to choose from. My trouble was the rod that connected the key cylinder to the electrical ignition switch was broken. The dash light were on and would not go out, but enough of the rod was left so the steering lock operated. If you have to replace the lock housing disconnect the battery totally and insulate the terminals. KEEP it disconnected until your all back together otherwise you will set off the SRS airbag failure and will have to pay BMW to reset it. The T30 female screws at mid line of the steering wheel NOT the 4 corner ones, the 2 Torx female screws are holding the SRS airbag to the front of the Steering Wheel. You can access them from the back side mid line to the center of the steering wheel. Those screws DO NOT come out they only loosen up to release the airbag. The center bolt holding my steering wheel were on very tight and I had to use a long ratchet (30 inches) to loosen it. Go slow as you take the column down and take a few pictures the orange wire is the srs power, it is under the bottom column cover. Remove top and bottom covers (easier if you extend the telescoping all the way out.) That orange plug on the the left side seen from the front removes with a twist from its mounting on the black plastic the plug itself is easy to pinch the release tabs and remove. You may have to lock the wheel using the wheel lock (key out) to hold it during your center bolt loosening, but then release it with your key (mine didn't need it but have read some models do) Good luck and may the parts house be with you!

PUT THE AIR BAG FACE UP locked in the TRUNK is recommended!!!!!!!!!

I feared the airbag and did its removal all from outside the car, you can also just to be safe. DON'T TRUST IT IS SAFE JUST BECAUSE IT IS NOT CONNECTED TO THE POWER, IT IS STILL A POWERFUL EXPLOSIVE.

Last edited by Whidbey54; 10-25-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Safety Issue