Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: '95 318is
Wink Starter problem? Help!

Replaced my battery yesterday. car cranked fine (squeels when starting - has since I got it in '05). Today - no start - no lights - no auto door locks - etc.

Is this my starter which needs replacing? I think so but need some reassurance before I go spend $200 since I am a poor college student!

Any help would be appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 03-05-2008, 05:25 PM
still pushin' big wheels

Mein Auto: '95 325i
have you checked your battery cables and made sure the connections are good and the cables are in good condition?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM

Yeah - cables appear to be almost like brand new. I made sure the connections were tight. Like I said...it started first crank but not the next day.... interior hazard light button dimmed and then nothing.. I think someone mentioned to me some time ago that the starter was making a whining noise on cranking and may need replacing soon.... so I'm guessing soon is now (all be it about a year later). I think i can get a remanuf. starter for arount $180 but finding someone to install it may prove to be a challenge. Not the sort of thing a 20 yr old girl can manage ya know. Thank for your help
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
still pushin' big wheels

Mein Auto: '95 325i
before you actually shell out the cash for a new starter buy a voltmeter and check that your battery is still charged. If its bad and you just replaced it you could have a bad alternator that isn't charging your battery. Also - call around to auto parts stores - lots of them will test your starter for nothing.

Normally replacing a starter isn't too hard a job, but everything is shoehorrned into Bimmers so tight and the car sits so low to the ground that even simple things are tough.

Good Luck!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 PM

Alternator... didn't think of that one. Thanks I appreciate the help
Old 03-06-2008, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 318 ic
Remember your starter has a built in voltage regulator .. the starter maybe fine but the regulator needs replaced ... on a 1995 the brushes may be gone on the regualtor ..
$200 + for the alternator $40+ for the regulator .
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 323 convertable
Diagnose the fault first before buying anything check battery voltage 12v or higher? yes?good no- boost battery crank engine if yes not the starter if still nothing check cables to the starter use volt drop across cables, if it starts,is the alternater charging? 13 - 14v yes probably crap battery alternater not charging 12v dropping alternator cables/belt new alternator if your not sure you really should go to a mechanic to diagnose.