Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:25 PM
Mike Swing
Send a message via AIM to Mike Swing
Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster 2007 530i
Rear plastic window longevity

How long do the rear plastic windows typically last? Mine just developed three cracks so I just ordered a new OEM window. I'll have my local indie install it for me. I've read the forum and it seems like a huge pain. Also what does that window protective cover do? I've seen some on eBay. And last, any tips on taking care of the plastic window to make it stay clear and last longer?

Thanks everyone.
Mike Swing
Old 10-19-2015, 05:48 PM
1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW Z3 2.8L
I purchased a 1998 Z3 2.8L roadster a couple of years ago and the back window was in very good to almost excellent condition. Of course the car was garage kept. I would think a car kept outsid in the weather and especially the Sun's UV rays would quicken the degradation on rear window and canvas top.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Mein Auto: 1998 M3 . . . 2012 528i
I'd say about six years. Park facing south to keep direct sun off, and place a flannel on the window when folding the top down so it doesn't scratch itself. Clean often with lots of clear water and soft towel.

When it's time to replace, buy one online and zip it in yourself; it's not difficult if you have a buddy to help.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search