Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-07-2008, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 96 328i
just bought my first BMW...

what are some things to look out for. I bought a 96 328i this past week with only 59k on the motor. Couple things I've notice were the MID(i think) display is messed up I can only make out pieces of what it says. Also it has the stock stereo and at night with the lights on I see it coming on and off. Small things I suppose , but what are some major things to keep up on and such to keep things running smooth?

here she is...

Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2008, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: '95 325is
Nice! Same color as mine, but I like those wheels. Mine has like stock 15s on it that are pretty fugly. Looking to get some new wheels this summer.

When I bought mine about a month ago first thing I did was a regular tune-up. Oil change, fuel filter, and spark plugs. Id start with that.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:31 PM
<-NIKi

Send a message via AIM to ianiac Send a message via Yahoo to ianiac
Mein Auto: E36 M3
Hey, welcome to the fest. Read the ******** "Things about BMW's true but funny" thread to learn more common problems with your car.

And I love your rims. So nice.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
HOLD UP - Are those real BBS? Or reps?

Either way, looks fukcing good man. Welcome to the 'Fest.

She looks like she's been VERY well cared for, and 59k..*****! Not even broken in yet! Lol.

Are you out in the central valley area? Love the cherry blossoms dude....lol.

As for the MID, if the screen is bright enough, but you're just missing pixels, you can fix that with some tedious electrical work. It may be easier to scan eBay or C/L though for one. Some good sites for DIY articles are bimmerdiy.com and pelicanparts.com.
*bimmerdiy has had some errors lately in their paths. When you click on E36, it will take you to a page that doesn't exist. Replace the group of characters between the 2 slashes with dir and it will take you to the right page.
I believe bimmerdiy has a write up on fixing the missing pixels on the MID/OBC.

If the stock stereo is the only thing with the lights flickering, then at least its not a problem with your electrical system. Does it turn on and off with the lights flickering? If it does, it probably just needs to be plugged in better. If it stays on but the lights all flicker, open it up and check the bulbs are connected right. Also, the wire that controls the dimmer on it could be shorting out or have a bad connection. Check that as well.

Again, welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 03-08-2008, 05:10 AM

Yeah I'm out in Manteca...Central Valley. lol

Yeah they are the real deal. BBS RX's car also came with a tacky ass muffler tip on a magnaflow muffler. lol

I'll check out those site...I'm the DIY kinda person, I'd hate to have to take the car in the *coughs* mechanics for annnnnything. I'll browse around see if I can just find a replacement MID before taking anything apart(my wife would kill me) thanks for the heads up.

OH! On my cabin temp. control display my Temp. reads in Celsius. I'm I stuck with that or is there someway I can get it into Fahrenheit? My car was in Canada for a couple years before coming out to the Bay Area.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:14 AM
Resident Pilot

Mein Auto: BMW Not Found
Here are the things to look out for:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191293

Here's one to help you diagnose sounds if they pop up:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220181

If any of the "things" happen to your car, check the manual first to see what's up (if the previous owner left it in there), as many answers are actually in there (unlike most other manufacturers). If there's still a question, don't hesitate to post here. Actually, don't hesitate to post here in any case. My main point is the manual explains a lot, so sometimes it's a lot quicker to just read and see what's up, instead of post here and wait for replies (no matter how quick we are). A lot of the time, though, it's a good idea to post here.

The manual is a good read anyway. What other car are you going to get where the manual actually encourages opening up the throttle and throwing it around some curves? You'll find out about some neat features, too, especially if you have an OBC (the 18-button device - anything less is technically an MID).

If any of that was ranting, repeating or otherwise crazy-talk, I'm sorry - I just woke up.

Welcome to the Fest.

1993 325is - Frigg - Grounded
2001 Z3 2.5 - Išunn - Active
Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 AM
<<<Buddy

Mein Auto: 97' 328I
Hi, and welcome to the fest'! Sweet looking car! only 59k? Nice find!!
Old 03-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Bad Rabbit

Mein Auto: '97 328is
Like the color
Old 03-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 323 convertable
Congrats looks nice
Old 03-08-2008, 06:42 PM

Thank you guys.....once I get some time off work I'm going to some heavy researching cause I dont wanna seem like such a noob if a question does come up. lol

So far so good no weird noises other then the tape deck sounds likes its going to murder someone. haha

Two quick questions....as far as the intake goes, if I were to get one will it throw off a CEL or am I safe? Also companies as well.

The other is springs/struts.....who makes a decent pair of springs and does the E36 have alot of wheel travel to lower the car some stock struts? I'm pretty sure Eibach makes some correct? I have a set on my SE-R and haven't had a complaint yet...low but not to low.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryz View Post
Like the color
Whats the name of the color BTW?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: '95 325is
I dont know about yours, but on my little readout that has the temp, fuel consumption, timer, etc. Theres a group of 4 buttons on the right, next to the "set/res" button theres a "km/mil" or something button that lets you change all of the readouts from standard to metric (or in your case Celsius to Far.)
Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Ok cool, grandparents lived in Tracy & Modesto for a while.

As for climate control readout, I believe you'll have to go to the dealer to get it reprogrammed. The MID km/mls button will only change it per section on the MID, not on the climate control.

Color looks like Boston Green to me, but on your drivers side front strut tower, it will say the name on a decal (in German).

Intakes will be fine. Everyone has their own opinion, personally, I would only run Apexi Power Intake filters. I wouldn't touch K&N with a ten foot pole. Dinan, aFe, and Conforti all seem a bit over priced. I don't know anything about Amsoil filters, but one of the best overall assemblies, Comso Racing (not the cheap eBay brand Cosmos), makes a good system. Personally, I used my Apexi filter and just made my own piping. Easy enough to do. Black ABS plastic 3" tubing worked beautifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 03-09-2008, 03:42 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Nice car!

This may help your MID issue - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=457171

Edirty6 for life