Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: 530xit
Exclamation Trade assist questions....

All -

I have a 2006 530xit that has had an unusually high number of electrical issues. After complaints to BMWNA at my service advisors urging, I am being offered a trade assist. I will be sitting down with the dealership later this week and have been trolling the boards to figure out what I could reasonably expect to be offered and what I could reasonably expect to push for.

If anyone would PM me their experience or advice I would be most grateful.

Regards,

medPhreak
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I would like to know their policy on trade assist.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.8
trade assist

I got trade assist from MBZ on my 2003 E320 with intermitent electrical issues. MBZ chipped in 8000.00, when car was 9 months old. Between the trade assist and the dealers bid for my trade, I ended up with about what I had paid for car 9 months prior, although I did not get back tax, license, chrome wheels or tint. Hope this helps....
Old 03-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
I would suggest going in with a very good idea of what your car is worth, retail, wholesale, and private party prices from Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book. You may also want to jot down what the problems have cost you terms of your time, inconvenience, etc. Keep in mind that the dealer will most likely resell your car as a CPO car despite the problems you have had so look at that price also. Best of luck.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: x5 4.8
trade assist

dont forget, the dealer will pay what the car is worth to them, just like desertrat said. However, the trade assist comes from the factory, and is designed to help bridge the gap between what your car is worth, and what a new one will cost. Make sure the factory is involved and participating.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:31 AM

Thx...

Thank you for all of the good information. It looks as if I'll have a choice between a trade assist and a buy back. The dealer is getting information from BMW right now.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphreak View Post
Thank you for all of the good information. It looks as if I'll have a choice between a trade assist and a buy back. The dealer is getting information from BMW right now.
keep us updated.***** back sounds good
Old 04-10-2008, 11:29 AM

Update

All -

After about a month of no information from BMWNA, I received word via the dealership that BMWNA had reviewed my case and is not going to offer any type of assistance. Very disappointing after spending a day off sitting in the dealership reviewing my case and being very encouraged about BMWNA's desire to assist me.

FYI.

medphreak
Old 04-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: '14 428i vert
Hmmm..maybe lemon law needs to be looked into
Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphreak View Post
All -

I have a 2006 530xit that has had an unusually high number of electrical issues. After complaints to BMWNA at my service advisors urging, I am being offered a trade assist. I will be sitting down with the dealership later this week and have been trolling the boards to figure out what I could reasonably expect to be offered and what I could reasonably expect to push for.

If anyone would PM me their experience or advice I would be most grateful.

Regards,

medPhreak
BMWNA did a Trade Assist on my 07 335cic, which I affectionally refer to as "the lemon" now.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225939

I think in the end I pretty much disclosed what the "deal" was.

Good luck with everything!
Old 04-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
Hmmm..maybe lemon law needs to be looked into
I think he said his car was a 2006. I believe LL is good for only 12 months after purchase of the new vehicle?

I would think with all of the issues he's had BMWNA would take care of him.

FWIW: I called and harassed BMWNA about every day, also drove by the dealership nearly every day (or called). I think they may have taken care of me just to make me go away. Whatever works.

Last edited by SailinSand; 04-10-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:39 PM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I think he said his car was a 2006. I believe LL is good for only 12 months after purchase of the new vehicle?

I would think with all of the issues he's had BMWNA would take care of him.

FWIW: I called and harassed BMWNA about every day, also drove by the dealership nearly every day (or called). I think they may have taken care of me just to make me go away. Whatever works.
His car being a 2006 makes this less of their issue.... the car is still under warranty and he no longer has a case to Lemon it, why would any rational business offer to assist or buy this back?
We do not have a history of this car or anything like that to offer us information to better make an inference on. I would think that if the car was such as hassle, this would have been pursued much earlier in the game.
A 2006 could have been produced from 9/05 until 8/06 so if it is an 05 produced car the thing is going on 3 years already. It could not be that bad if it has taken this long to complain..... over a year at most 2 I could see it if the car was a safety issue or had been in the shop greater than 60 days over the year.... otherwise it is warranty work. Your 'vert is a different story and you proceeded from the get go, this is very wishy washy....
Depending on what the elctrical issues are maybe the dealer just has not done a good job of sorting this problem out, all electric gremlins can be found.... just takes time and a good diagnostic person. BMW would also send out an engineer to evaluate the car and the situation prior to making any comments about an assist.....

This sounds like a dealer BSing....

OP more specifics of your issues and service history would be helpful.
Best of luck!
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired