Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 09-28-2014, 05:09 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2016 X6
F07 550i GT brake pad and rotor-sorry no pics

Guys I looked and looked for someone to have completed and explain a F10 or F07 brake job to no avail. Sorry I did not catalogue the process with pictures.

Get your wheels blocked and place your jack under the car and get tension on to the jack.

Take a 17mm socket and loosen the bolts that hol your wheel to the rotor/hub.

Jack your BMW up high enough to place jack stands under neath.

Place jack stands on pad stand pads on edge of the underside of the chassis.

Remove bolts out of wheel. Lift slightly to avoid pulling the brake dust shield out with the wheel. You will probably scratch the inside of you wheel and bend the dust shield a bit. It is hard to avoid the inside of the wheel resting on the dust shield as you pull the wheel off.

You will need an 18mm socket to remove the two bolts that hold the brake caliper to the rotor/hub assembly area.

As you remove those bolts you will need to hold the caliper as it will fall off the rotor.

As you remove the caliper look at the brake lines and the wear sensor line (only 1 wear sensor for front and 1 wear sensor for the rear) on the rear of the caliper and if there is a plastic clip that holds the lines together then release one line from the other as you will need the flexibility in releasing the caliper.

I used a wire hanger to suspend the caliper in the air twice. I used a jack stand to hold the caliper the other two times. I did not like the thought of the heavy caliper hanging from it's brake lines.

Take a torx head male socket and remove the bolt that holds the rotor to the hub. It will fall right off so keep a hand on the rotor.

To remove the brake pads I removed the large metal clips that hold the caliper together. You maybe able to remove the pads without removing the clips. ***The clips should be attached at a certain time***it is tricky and has been engineered a certain way. I ordered new clips. The old ones were totally fine, but I had the new ones and decided to use them. The clips were inexpensive.

There are 2 brake wear sensors... 1 for the front and 1 for the back. On our 550 GT the wear sensors were on the driver side. The wire to the brake wear sensor plugs into the caliper. It should be removed with needle nose pliyers. It is easy to pull out and easy to reinstall. I bought new ones. I was under the impression that they had a surface would wear down. That is not the case. The wear sensor does not wear out per say.

You will be pulling the caliper two piece grasping hardware off (wish I could word that description better). The old pads can be work out with a screw driver...wedge a little out on one side then switch to the other side** pop they are out. Super easy no problem.

Obviously you have to push the pressure side back in. I used a simple c-clamp. Maybe 9 inch or so. Take the extra effort to squeez down just a bit so that it is easy to get the new pads and caliper over the rotor. Place the new pads in the caliper. They slide in easily, but you have to push a little on one side and then a little on the other side alternating until the new pad is pushed all the way in. **Now..there is the matter of the clip. Do not install the clip until the caliper is over the rotor with the new brake pads**.

Obviously you will need to take your new rotors and place them back on the hub securing them with the torx head bolt.

I tried to resurface my rotors. There was nothing left to resurface on the front. The metal was scored and grainy. They could not be reused. I purchased new ones from Sean at thebmwminipartstore for $216 per side for the front. The rear rotors were resurfaceable. They came out nice and smooth after being "turned" or resurfaced.

If you put the clip on the caliper before you put the caliper on the rotor it will be too tight to slide on the rotor. Save yourself the stress of banging it over the rotor and put the clip on after you place the caliper over the rotor.

!!****!!!!**big deal. Lots of sweat and stress into this detail. When replacing the clip do not do one side then the other. Line the clip ip where it should grab the caliper. Grab a screw driver. Maybe ask for someone to give you a hand and reinsert the clip. Both sides at the same time. Having to lift in the middle with the screw driver. The middle part of the clip will need to be directed into the middle of the caliper. It will make sense when you are doing the install. Do not fit one side and then the other. It is not designed to be installed that way**. Again sorry for the lack of photos.

Once you have secured the clip and placed the caliper over the rotor grab your 18mm socket and two bolts. Line up the holes get one started and insert the second one. Tighten those bolts up and replace your wear sensor into the caliper. Again there is one for the front and one for the back.

Put your wheel back on. Try to hold the wheel to where you are not bending up your brake dust shield.

Take your time removing your jack stands and make sure you tighten your wheel properly.

We let our brake wear sensor information get to the point where the message read " must do brake service in specified distance". We have an appointment scheduled to have the computer recognize the new pads. I have what I think is a good relationship with my SA. He said he would be happy to plug in and reset it. I will report back as to what the cost is to have them plug in and reset.

I will proof this a few times to add or delete things. Just trying to get this out there to help the next guy know that this is a do it yourself that can be done with a few tools and some patience. I will attempt to clean the above up so that it has all the details required for the repairs still a work in progress.

Last edited by Rogue2258; 09-29-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2017, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0 & 2006 330i
Caliper guide pins

When you removed the caliper you would've had the guide pins. I didn't see this in your write up. What size is the hex male that removes the caliper guide pins? Thanks
Old 06-01-2017, 05:50 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2016 X6
Hey man I am gong from memory here so please allow for an error or two. I had to use a grinder to get the hex head size properly fit to remove that caliper. It was in that 9-10 range I think..but it is the exact size that no one sells..not Craftsman...not Autozone. If you are doing repairs yourself you have already invested in torx heads. This is just what they hire engineers for. Attempt to force us to the dealer. Man I hope that helps. It was a sticking point for me when I did it. Can't wait to get rid of our X6 so we can get back in a GT or a 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-01-2017, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0 & 2006 330i
Caliper guide pins 550gt

I did the job today. It's a 9mm...the size that doesn't come in the set. Other than that it was just like every other bmw brake job I've done since the 90's. Easy

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search