Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-08-2008, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 92 325i
92 325i wont start please help

Ok so I was driving down the road and my car just died!!!!! It wont crank over I just replaced my starter the week before!!! I tried replacing my fuel pump and thats not the problem either!! someone please help me!! thanks!!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 323 convertable
first check the battery is it flat did you try jumping the battery possibly alternator need more info
Old 03-08-2008, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingchick08 View Post
Ok so I was driving down the road and my car just died!!!!! It wont crank over I just replaced my starter the week before!!! I tried replacing my fuel pump and thats not the problem either!! someone please help me!! thanks!!!!!
Remove the cover on the right hand side (passenger) of the engine compartment where the DME lives.You may see leaves,you may recall that the problem had gotten worse after a car wash.Inspect the DME,are you sure you don't have water in the DME??? Check for spark if its there.Then check power and ground to the fuel pump and inspect the relay if you see a problem.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:34 PM

I checked my DME and they arent wet or anything... And I tried jumpin the battery with my friends ford focus.... the fuel pump is gettin power...... how would i tell if theres a problem with the relay
Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I checked my DME and they arent wet or anything... And I tried jumpin the battery with my friends ford focus.... the fuel pump is gettin power...... how would i tell if theres a problem with the relay
if the fuel pump is getting power there is no problem with the relay.does the fuel pump deliver fuel to the injector rail? have you checked for spark? have you removed a spark plug to see if fouled,dry,or wet (either fuel or coolant).there are 3 key items needed to run the engine......fuel,air,and spark.......if you have fuel (with correct delivery pressure)and spark and unsure how to check the third element,check the idle valve if stuck and inspect the hose and the attaching clip that locks into the intake manifold.Of course all these items are located under the intake manifold.If you are as smart as I think you are you should turn on your charm and use your beauty to get a guy that knows what to do to help you out as if you were a damsel in distress.Im already disqualified because I gave you that advice.My apologies again,for I am a gentleman naughty by nature.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:58 PM

I dont know if it delievers fuel or not!!! i know that when I tested the spark plug it wasnt gettin any spark... But according to people it is gettin spark.... I guess it starts but dies right away... So your sayin its not the relays!?!? I am kinda the damsel in distress.... lol!!!

Last edited by racingchick08; 03-08-2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I dont know if it delievers fuel or not!!! i know that when I tested the spark plug it wasnt gettin any spark... So your sayin its not the relays!?!? I am kinda the damsel in distress.... lol!!!
With all due respect miss,I surely hope you are as cute as I think you are.Sense of humor is there which is great.Sooooo,we dont have spark......hmmmmm.Are you sure? Have you tried all the coils and all the cylinders? How did you determine that there wasn't any spark? Whatever you do,stay away from the sparkplug when its grounded to the chassis as you check for spark.Make sure there are no fuel spills either,unless you wan't the fire department to come help you put out the fire and fix your car at the same time.Believe me,you're in Cali therefore most of them are probably gay.Not that there's anything wrong with that,Im just saying that they may not find your cutesy-ness ways cute.They might just hose you down thinking u tryin to steal their man.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:33 PM

Ok well I guess that it is gettin spark... my dads friend looked at while i was away i guess... He said the fuel pump turns on for a second then shuts off right away... He pulled the fuel line and there was nothin in there... But the car also hasnt been turned on for at least 3 weeks.. They also said that the fuel gauge now says empty... I def know not to go near the spark when its grounded lol.... Ive been around cars long enough to know that one lol...
Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM

K.Fill the tank with fuel.Considering you or the friend resecured everything that was removed,use jumper cables to ensure that you have power to turn the motor.Hold the pedal to the floor and turn the key to the crank position and don't let go until it starts to sputter.You don't want to hold it too long because it may run and with the starter engaged you may damage the flywheel.You also don't want to pump the accelerator pedal as if you were Tommy Lee performing in a concert.That should do the trick.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:42 PM

ok if that is all it is then why would my car just die while drivin down the road!!!!??!??! should I replace the relays!??!?!
Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
ok if that is all it is then why would my car just die while drivin down the road!!!!??!??! should I replace the relays!??!?!
you ran out of gas because your sending unit is faulty?? sending unit is the thingamabob that sends the information to the thingamajig that the fuel gauge displays.

are you blonde miss??

again,my apologies.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:59 PM

No Im not blonde lol.... Even tho my friends say I sometimes act like it lol... i had just put gas in the car 2 days before..... there is gas in the tank... when i pulled out my fuel pump...... my gauge said 1/2 full right before the car shut off...... and then my battery light and oil light came on and it just stopped running...
Old 03-08-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No Im not blonde lol.... Even tho my friends say I sometimes act like it lol... i had just put gas in the car 2 days before..... there is gas in the tank... when i pulled out my fuel pump...... my gauge said 1/2 full right before the car shut off...... and then my battery light and oil light came on and it just stopped running...
If it's not a loose nut behind the wheel miss,try the battery terminals.You do know how to turn a wrench with those manicured hands right? Don't make me come down there and fix it for you. Give me your number and send me pictures first,I'll weigh my options and we will go from there. My apologies,just PM it to me. I don't want people to think something of this other than what it really is.But then again,I don't give a hoot.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:13 PM

Lmao!!! i know how to turn a wrench better than the men in my family lol!! I replaced my own starter.... lol!!!! manicure hands ummm nope not here... I love oil and grease!!!! and my favorite smell in the whole world is Nitro and burnt rubber lol!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Lmao!!! i know how to turn a wrench better than the men in my family lol!! I replaced my own starter.... lol!!!! manicure hands ummm nope not here... I love oil and grease!!!! and my favorite smell in the whole world is Nitro and burnt rubber lol!!!!
Darn! Now Im scared. Are you considered a hottie by a non-hillbilly? LOL
Just playin miss.You should just PM me unless you like the attention,we could be here all night.
Old 03-08-2008, 06:18 PM

lmao uhhhh ok!!!!! what the hell is PM!?!?!?! attention!??!?!?! nope!!!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
lmao uhhhh ok!!!!! what the hell is PM!?!?!?! attention!??!?!?! nope!!!!!
You silly hillbilly
Old 03-08-2008, 06:24 PM

Me a hillbilly!?!?! lmao i think not!!! well maybe a little!!! lol!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 PM

Look in the upper left hand corner of the screen where the words "Private Messages" under your screen name.Click that you silly wabbit,tricks are for kids.