Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Mein Auto: F30 328i xDrive
DIY - Garmin Nuvi Hardwire to Switched Power (E46)

Ok, this is my first DIY and I'm probably the least qualified of anyone here to be doing one of these. That goes to show you how easy this really is.

This is a way to have switched power (turns on and off with the ignition switch) connected to your Garmin Nuvi without having an ugly mess of wires.

What you need:

-Female cigarette lighter receptacle to 12V power adapter (something like this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062272)
-Wire cutters/strippers
-1 phillips and 1 flathead screwdriver
-Garmin Nuvi with car power adapter

Follow http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/centerconsole for detailed instructions on accomplishing these first three steps.

1. Take apart the trim around the gearbox, the ashtray/lighter, and the sunglasses holder.
2. Take apart the rear ashtray assembly.
3. Take out the cupholders and coin holder assembly.

4. Locate the bundled wires concealed in velvet wrap underneath the area where the coin holder assembly was.

5. Unwrap the cover to reveal the 18-pin harness and bluetooth antenna cable.

6. Locate the white/purple wire (positive) and brown (ground) wire going into the 18-pin harness.

See http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/image/19840932 for a good picture of the harness mentioned above.

7. Remove the two wires from the harness (I just cut them) ; strip them down a good 1/4" and strip down the positive(red) and negative(black) wires on the end of the female cigarette lighter receptacle.

8. Connect the RED wire to the WHITE/PURPLE wire and connect the BLACK wire to the BROWN wire. You can do this with your own method of choice. I simply twisted the wires together and put electrical tape around the connections. Make sure you cover all exposed wire.

9. Plug the Garmin power adapter into the female cigarette lighter receptacle.

10. Bundle the wires back up in the velvet material. Tuck it back underneath the area you pulled it out of. You can also tuck the lighter adapter/Garmin power male end underneath. There should be room if you push it toward the emergency brake.

11. Snake the small end of the power cable through the hole in the front left of the area that's under where the cupholders sit. Push it up and at the same time pull the plastic up to get it to go into the gearbox area, while keeping the cable underneath the lip of the assembly that sits beneath the cupholder.

12. Route the cable along the right side (I taped in a couple locations) and behind the ashtray and sunglasses holder area.

13. Reassemble all trim and leave just enough cable you need coming through the trim area where the sunglasses holder is. Tuck the rest behind the sunglasses holder and push in the sunglasses holder tray.

DONE!

Last edited by the_s_rabbit; 03-10-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2008, 07:53 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Your pictures didn't show up. Basically, you installed another cigarette lighter that is powered upon the ignition at position 1 for your Nuvi?

I would have gotten a power plug that fits the nuvi and hard wire it to the power that goes to the radio. Obviously, you have to pull the radio out. That would have been cleaner, and you won't have to use the Nuvi power cord to the cigarette lighter.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-10-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:55 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Your pictures didn't show up. Basically, you installed another cigarette lighter that is powered upon the ignition at position 1 for your Nuvi?

I would have gotten a power plug that fits the nuvi and hard wire it to the power that goes to the radio. Obviously, you have to pull the radio out. That would have been cleaner, and you won't have to use the Nuvi power cord to the cigarette lighter.
Answer to your question is yes.

But, I don't know why the pics don't show up. I see them just fine.

Yes, the method you describe is cleaner, but I am mr. ghetto with no skillz.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
I admire your enthusiastic effort and accomplishment. I would have just let the cord dangle to the existing cigarette lighter.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Cool. I'd be interested in the source of the mounting gadget you put the Nuvi on...sorry if its in the reference info or I missed it...Thanks!

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 325i, '88 325iC
That's gonna make a make a mess if it gets stolen.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Cool. I'd be interested in the source of the mounting gadget you put the Nuvi on...sorry if its in the reference info or I missed it...Thanks!
That's the Proclip angled mount with the device specific cradle. It's $60 for the two pieces and a breeze to put in.

http://www.proclipusa.com/Default.asp
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Bimmer back, Bimmer back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_325i View Post
That's gonna make a make a mess if it gets stolen.
Proximity machine guns; my next DIY.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit View Post
That's the Proclip angled mount with the device specific cradle. It's $60 for the two pieces and a breeze to put in.

http://www.proclipusa.com/Default.asp
Excellent! tysm...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
I made my own from a 90 cents galvanized L bracket I bought from Home Depot. Drill some appropriate mounting holes, bend it to the desired viewing angle, double back tape it to the dash or console. It works great for my magellen roadmate 300 dianosaur.

Post #40 shows a variation of mounting bracket. This one uses velcro rather than screws to mount the GPS.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...light=magellan

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-11-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_s_rabbit View Post
8. Connect the RED wire to the WHITE/PURPLE wire and connect the BLACK wire to the BROWN wire. You can do this with your own method of choice. I simply twisted the wires together and put electrical tape around the connections. Make sure you cover all exposed wire.
Simply twisting the wires together does not make for a strong connection. I suggest that you apply some solder to the twisted wires or use a butt connector instead.

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/connections.htm
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...06.html?page=2

A cleaner way to use the telephone harness for power is to order the corresponding connector and pins from your local BMW dealer, as I did for my aftermarket tire pressure monitor.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 323ci
Good job Rabbit,

Looks very clean. I plan on installing my proclip/GPS over the 1st middle vent for a better view.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:33 PM
aka:The Silver Surfer

Mein Auto: 330i
Sorry for reviving an old post.....

I am installing some DVD head rests in my 04 330i. I will need enough power to run both units. Does anyone know if this power source is enough to run them? I think each unit draws 1.5 amps.

I scoped out the fuse box and thought of hard wiring from the fuse box allong the console to the rear. However the fuse box looks like it is a PAIN-IN-THE-@$$ to access.

Last edited by RSegura; 08-30-2012 at 02:11 PM.