Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-10-2008, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 01 bmw 330i
Question Aftermarket GPS??!?!

Can someone please help me out on this one. I want an IN-dash navi/dvd player. I dont care what kind. Cheaper the better. haha. I hope it can fit, I think one will fit, but i dont know about all the heat/ac buttons and all that. I cant take that out, and replace it as part of the In-dash???can i?? PLease someone let me know, if you have an aftermarket In-dash, let me know. Im really interested in putting one in soon.
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2008, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: e46 323ci
bro.. Garmin Nuvi 350 FTW..

BMW dealers are selling it for $$$ x2
Old 03-11-2008, 02:38 PM

garmin cant fit in an 01...
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit425 View Post
bro.. Garmin Nuvi 350 FTW..

BMW dealers are selling it for $$$ x2
He also said IN-dash, the Garmin Nuvi 350 is just another hand-held/pocket-sized GPS unit, like tom-tom or magellin.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325i
I have a Nuvi 350...excellent. You dont have to look at the screen..it talks. For instance, "Exit 405 South" . This makes a big difference when the off ramp has three different exits. Some GPS just say stay left.

Furthermore, after spending countless hours researching, for the price, portability, NUVI won my research. Last, you can get a portable dash mount that sits on top as you drive. Trust me, it does not slide as you make a sharp turn. It stays put. With several cars I own and that I travel on occasion, it is nice to be able to take my Nuvi, even to Canada..good luck
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arielb1 View Post
I have a Nuvi 350...excellent. You dont have to look at the screen..it talks. For instance, "Exit 405 South" . This makes a big difference when the off ramp has three different exits. Some GPS just say stay left.

Furthermore, after spending countless hours researching, for the price, portability, NUVI won my research. Last, you can get a portable dash mount that sits on top as you drive. Trust me, it does not slide as you make a sharp turn. It stays put. With several cars I own and that I travel on occasion, it is nice to be able to take my Nuvi, even to Canada..good luck
im looking for a navi/cdplayer/dvdplayer. to replace my stock head unit, i dont know where people got the fact that im looking for a portable one. lol.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
As a person who went through the same decision you are doing, I would say step back and ask yourself what do you really want. I looked at in-dash dvd nav, from the factory one (~$2500 bucks) to aftermarket ones that were only slightly cheaper and still seemed slipshod and un-matching. The only advantage of an in-dash GPS that I saw was the nice big screen, but I couldn't justfy an extra 2 grand for that.

So I went and got the tomtom xls. I am glad I did too. I just recently came back from hawaii where I brought the GPS and used it in the rental. The tomtom (as well as the garmin and others) have so much more customization and features than the in-dash gps and the best part is, if in a year or two I find a better one, I'll buy it and still spend less total than the in-dash.

I know I'm not answering your question, but if it's look and style you're going for, spend the extra and go factory. If it's a solid practical GPS, it's very hard to beat the great portable systems out there.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: Steptronic 07/00
This is a great thread. ipwnyou3 thats a great wish list. I also put up another thread that's similar cos some gifted people have actually done a carputer that does GPS, music, video and diagnostics.

Link01 is absolutely right because the factory set is somewhat primitive, expensive and ultimately pointless. It's only appeal is that looks like part of the car. Which brings me back to what I said above.

As an interim, I'd make plenty do with with a capable GPS that can be mounted nicely, doesnt hamper visibility and looks neat.

Pictures anybody?
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViBren View Post
Link01 is absolutely right because the factory set is somewhat primitive, expensive and ultimately pointless. It's only appeal is that looks like part of the car. Which brings me back to what I said above.
Ultimately pointless? I love my factory nav:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...10&postcount=9
Old 03-17-2008, 09:24 AM
European Auto Source

Mein Auto: M3
I have an LG navigation... Works pretty well till i get the factory navigation installed... It's definitely worth it...

Blog | YouTube | facebook | twitter | flickr

Last edited by david @ eas; 03-17-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Look at the Pioneer AVIC-D3 - I am getting it installed next week. In-dash Nav, Ipod, Bluetooth, Sat, Radio, DVD movies. Will require relocating the A/C controls down to the sunglass holder, but that is not a problem if you can find an installer that knows E46's.
Now: 2004 330i ZHP Titanium Silver, grey leather, and 1991 325ic MTech appearance, Diamantschwarz, black leather. Previous: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone; 2002 330cic, 1997 328ic
Old 03-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 06 330ci ZHP MT
i got a nuvi 330 fs. Pm me if you are interested.
Pretty much got all the manual OEM box suction etc....
http://www.tropicaero.com/products/pt-sp330_TB.jpg
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i
I'm torn between the Avic Z2 and Eclipse 6620 or 7000 series. I have to admit, the factory unit looks great.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Ultimately pointless? I love my factory nav:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...10&postcount=9
Those pictures look awesome.
I definitely don't think it's pointless. I also think the money for factory is worth it. But the majority of the money you're paying for is for the factory look and feel.
I just don't have the $2500 bucks it takes for a factory unit. That said, if I was to do in-dash, I wouldn't be looking after-market and just go factory all the way.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Gadget freak

Mein Auto: .02.330i.aw.
I've been torned between indash gps or portable. And this is after I got the portable gps, because I'm already carrying so much when I'm out from my car. Two cell phones (work and personal (+contract work)), wallet, keys, ipod, psp, sometimes a cup of latte, etc.

Solution to not carrying psp,ipod,portable gps? indash gps deck. Then there goes a choice of single din or double din.

double din requires you to leave your car for 2-3 days to installer and $2k for labour and parts done by the most trusted person in town(in vancouver bc area). plus avic-z2=about $2k CAD.

Where as, single din (Avic-N4) takes a couple hundreds for parts and labour and 3 hours labour job. But single din does not look great and it blocks your center air vents, which you will have to force to close them when you use the screen. so hands down to the double din, viola.

My choice? I'm window shopping for a new car instead of going ahead of getting an aftermarket deck for now.

In meanwhile, check out Rich's bezel pics at http://www.mybimmer.net/ and see what looks best for you.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggs View Post

double din requires you to leave your car for 2-3 days to installer and $2k for labour and parts done by the most trusted person in town(in vancouver bc area). plus avic-z2=about $2k CAD.
Not true. My installer gets the job done in about 6 hours time. If you read the other threads about those who DIY they get it done in about 8 hours time spread over two days. The install is roughly 500-700 dollars. I'm looking at the Z2, backup camera, iPod controller, XM radio/navtraffic, bluetooth, and custom install for around $2100-2300 out the door.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Gadget freak

Mein Auto: .02.330i.aw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmonkey View Post
Not true. My installer gets the job done in about 6 hours time. If you read the other threads about those who DIY they get it done in about 8 hours time spread over two days. The install is roughly 500-700 dollars. I'm looking at the Z2, backup camera, iPod controller, XM radio/navtraffic, bluetooth, and custom install for around $2100-2300 out the door.
I've heard good deals in California, unfortunately it's hard to find one that does the good job in Vancouver, BC area, or I don't know many places. Perhaps I've got the higher cost due to customized bezel. I will check again, since the quote was about 4-5 months ago.

Plus parts and the unit itself is higher than American pricing in Canada even the currency is almost at same level.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i
For what it's worth

I just realized how old this thread is, but here are two in dash units that are manufactured to look like OEM. Hope anyone else who finds this finds what they're looking for.

http://www.bimmian.com/X5/GPS

http://www.topcardvd.com/bmw-x5-e53-...t-can-bus.html