Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540iA Sport
Cable routing from trunk to dash

I know you can get from the trunk to the dash tucking a cable near the driver's side door sills but the cable has to be pretty thin to fit. I need to run several cables and one is pretty thick. I was thinking running via the center console but not sure how to hide the run from the trunk to center console. Anyone done this?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Ouch

Send a message via MSN to Fragzem Send a message via Skype™ to Fragzem
Mein Auto: 2000 540i/6, 1964 Wildcat
i'd be crazy enough to run it underneath the car and in through a grommit someplace.
  • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)
Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread
Old 03-13-2008, 09:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to velvetMonkey
Mein Auto: 1999 523i
if you look at the retrofit instructions for oem satnav, it'll show you the factory routing for cabling. The satnav harness is very thick in places, so it will fit.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: '02 525i Sp/5, 95 FJ80 LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specwar View Post
I know you can get from the trunk to the dash tucking a cable near the driver's side door sills but the cable has to be pretty thin to fit. I need to run several cables and one is pretty thick. I was thinking running via the center console but not sure how to hide the run from the trunk to center console. Anyone done this?
I ran about 4 cables during my HD/Dice install. Once you get the cabling from the trunk to the driver's side back seat, it will need to run in a diagonal underneath the carpet and into the center console. You will need to make a cut int he carpet inside of the console to pull in the wires. I stuck my arm underneath the carpet to loosen it up because it is in there pretty good. I also used a fish tape to get things through. Once you get to the center console, the rest is a piece of cake.

Here is a link to some pics I took: http://picasaweb.google.com/mmm635/HDDiceInstall
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540iA Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
I ran about 4 cables during my HD/Dice install. Once you get the cabling from the trunk to the driver's side back seat, it will need to run in a diagonal underneath the carpet and into the center console. You will need to make a cut int he carpet inside of the console to pull in the wires. I stuck my arm underneath the carpet to loosen it up because it is in there pretty good. I also used a fish tape to get things through. Once you get to the center console, the rest is a piece of cake.

Here is a link to some pics I took: http://picasaweb.google.com/mmm635/HDDiceInstall
Great pics, those will help immensely.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 98 528i sport
I ran a nav cable from my trunk to my aftermarket deck it was pretty thick and fit along the doors no problem, there is quite a bit of room if you go that route.