Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: land rover lr3
Getting '07 5k miles w/o trans fix. Advice needed!

Hello board,

This is my first post! I used to have an '01 330i that I loved. Now been driving an awful '06 LR3 and am considering leasing a 2007 x3 with 5k miles. $500k monthly, 12k miles, $0 down. Getting good deal and look forward to getting behind a bm again.

The owner doesn't know some things about the car though like:

Does it have Sport Package?
Does it have Premium Sound?
Does it have rear passenger air bags?

also, since it is an '07 built in Feb, should I insist that before transferring to me, he gets the transmission fix? He has said he hasn't noticed any probs.

advice most appreciated.

thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Without going into a long diatribe read the transmission posts. If you must have an 07 then make sure that he can verify the latest SIB update and arrange for a long test period. 48 hours minimum.

Other question. Why are they getting rid of it so soon?

The 07 X3 has as many problems as the 06 LR3.

Out of the pan into the fire is the saying that comes to mind.

If I couild do this over, I would go for an '06 cpo X3.

Last edited by Evlengr; 03-13-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 328xi, '09 550i
A few questions come to mind. Like Evlengr asked, Why are they getting rid of it? And How does an owner NOT know what pkgs are on the car? These throw some red flags up on my end. He may very well know about the AT issue, and just wants to dump it and is playing dumb about knowing anything about the car.
You should definately drive it for a considerable amount to verify the tranny is OK. And look at what options the car has to determine what pkgs are on it. If it has the extendable seat, then it has the sport pkg. Premium I am not sure what the '07's had other than leather and maybe BMW assist?
Definately bug the crap out of them by asking any and all questions.

Good luck.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the thoughts. I think he is getting rid of it because of a financial issue. Recently lost his job, needing to downsize, exorbitant gas prices, etc.

an extended test drive I think is key. Do the transmission problems surface right away?

And in terms of him not knowing the car... I don't know. could be wrong. but got the sense he's def not a car guy and just took the plunge!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Well, since it is not a "new car" the transmission issue should surface right away because it apparently happens after the adaptation period, which is the first 1500km or so. Take a thorough test drive though.

To check for sport package, look for the sport seats. There should be adjustable thigh support, as in the forward-most section of the seat should be able to be pulled out manually via a handle located in between your knees.

It is unlikely that the car has rear side impact airbags. However, if it is there, there will be an "airbag" label ON THE REAR DOOR itself right below the door lock. All X3s have the rear HPS/curtain airbag standard, denoted by an airbag label on the C pillar.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

The 07 X3 has as many problems as the 06 LR3.
Bro you are kidding, right?

X3 as many problems as a Land Rover?

"The lowest-ranking brand was Land Rover, Ford's European luxury SUV brand. Land Rover owners experienced 398 problems per 100 vehicles, according to the survey."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/08/auto...lity/index.htm

Transmission issues, sure, although in our case (May delivery, 07) we've had zero problems with our truck.

To the OP - I'd agree with the test drive, it will be under warranty, what's not to like? We love ours.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X6 xDrive3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
Hello board,

This is my first post! I used to have an '01 330i that I loved. Now been driving an awful '06 LR3 and am considering leasing a 2007 x3 with 5k miles. $500k monthly, 12k miles, $0 down. Getting good deal and look forward to getting behind a bm again.

also, since it is an '07 built in Feb, should I insist that before transferring to me, he gets the transmission fix? He has said he hasn't noticed any probs.

advice most appreciated.

thanks
Why do you car eif he gets the tranny fixed? It is a lease that is under warranty.

Why not lease a new one, not much difference in cost anyway.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 A4 Avant
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
Bro you are kidding, right?

X3 as many problems as a Land Rover?

"The lowest-ranking brand was Land Rover, Ford's European luxury SUV brand. Land Rover owners experienced 398 problems per 100 vehicles, according to the survey."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/08/auto...lity/index.htm

Transmission issues, sure, although in our case (May delivery, 07) we've had zero problems with our truck.

To the OP - I'd agree with the test drive, it will be under warranty, what's not to like? We love ours.
+1 We love our 07 X3 and have had zero of what I consider "issues." The X3 is solid mechanically of course with BMW's legendary inline 6 and proven electrical. The xDrive is bullet proof.

The X3 is an awesome premium SUV with no peer until you move into Cayenne territory at a different price-point.

I am not 100% immune to the transmission woes all over the board but experience maybe 1% of what is said about the tranny. Eg: a slight, slight herky jerky at 5km/h very rarely on an incline or when coming to a stop. The issue seems prevalent on many car brands with a 6 speed. The Mercedes 7speed is exempt, with no issues.

I suggest taking everything including my comments with a grain if salt as I, of course know nothing of your vehicle history.

Just keep in mind that there are an amazing amount of disgruntled X3 haters on this board and they have taken over or will take over every thread with the some form of X3 dysfunction. Try and defend and you are crucified as an evil doer.

There is precious little about joy of BMW ownership here because of this but I can tell you the X3 rocks, BMW rocks but do what feels right.

Also these are German cars and trade a bit of reliability and fuss for a sophisticated, premium, durable, high quality construction and soulful and fun to drive machine.

More Bimmerroast than Bimmerfest on the X3 board/

Formerly
2008 Mercedes B200 premium, autotronic
2007 X3 Premium, step
2005 X3 Premium, Manual
2004 BMW 320i, step
2003 Mini Cooper, 5 speed
2000 BMW 323i, 5 speed
1985 BMW 528e, 5 speed

Last edited by Mitch3672; 03-13-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Speed changes you!

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch3672 View Post
+1 We love our 07 X3 and have had zero of what I consider "issues." The X3 is solid mechanically of course with BMW legendary inline 6 and electrical. The xDrive is bullet proof.

I am not 100% immune to the transmission woes all over the board but experience maybe 1% of what is said about the tranny. Eg: a slight, slight herky jerky at 5km/h sometimes on an incline or when coming to a stop. The issue seems prevalent on many car brands with a 6 speed. The Mercedes 7speed is exempt, with no issues.

I suggest taking everything including my comments with a grain if salt as I, of course know nothing of this your vehicle history.

Just keep in mind that there are an amazing amount of disgruntled X3 haters on this board and they have taken over or will take over every thread with the some form of X3 dysfunction. Try and defend and you are crucified as an evil doer.

There is precious little about joy of BMW ownership here because of this but I can tell you the X3 rocks, do what feels right.
I agree. I have 13,000mi now on my 07 and I love every mile I drive it. I had everything reprogrammed last fall and it's been excellent since. Don't let the vocal few keep you from test driving it. If it exhibits erratic shifting pass on it. If not, know there are a lot of people that love driving their X3.
-BA
Old 03-13-2008, 06:52 PM

Didnt say don't test drive it. I said test drive it for a pro-longed period of time. And to read the references on the tranny post that will tell you what to look for.

As far as the LR against the X3. Look up both under NHTSA and see which has more complaints. Either way...test drive it for more than a day. Then the decision will be your opinion and not ours :-).
Old 03-13-2008, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Quote:
* * * Just keep in mind that there are an amazing amount of disgruntled X3 haters on this board and they have taken over or will take over every thread with the some form of X3 dysfunction. Try and defend and you are crucified as an evil doer.

There is precious little about joy of BMW ownership here because of this but I can tell you the X3 rocks, BMW rocks but do what feels right.

Also these are German cars and trade a bit of reliability and fuss for a sophisticated, premium, durable, high quality construction and soulful and fun to drive machine. * * * /
FWIW, I am one who often has complained about my AT in my '07 X3 - but that's it as far as complaints are concerned. As for the X3 rocking, I agree, and have told BMWNA and my dealer this many times. My only real complaint is the automatic transmission in my rig. Just today, towards the last quarter of a 300 mile round trip down I-80, I had gotten off in Laramie WY to get gas, started down the road that leads back to the interstate, was doing a constant 45 mph or so, and experienced that unpredictable unintended acceleration - you know, driving along and out of the blue the car starts to take off. Also, I stopped to pee at the rest stop at the Lincoln Monument (highest point on I-80) and on the downhill entrance ramp re-entering the interstate the X3 held a gear all the way to red-line/7K rpms as I entered the interstate. Tell me an automatic transmission in a $46K BMW is designed to red-line. I even drove off the next two exit ramps just to see if I could replicate this upon again re-entering the interstate. Of course, I couldn't and instead the X3 acted much like one would expect, running right up through the gears as I reached 70+ mph and entered back onto I-80. Each and every time my X3 runs as I would expect/hope, I absolutely love it. As Mitch indicated, the Xdrive is tops, particularly if you live someplace like Wyoming.

Terry
Old 03-13-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry J. Harris View Post
FWIW, I am one who often has complained about my AT in my '07 X3 - but that's it as far as complaints are concerned. As for the X3 rocking, I agree, and have told BMWNA and my dealer this many times. My only real complaint is the automatic transmission in my rig. Just today, towards the last quarter of a 300 mile round trip down I-80, I had gotten off in Laramie WY to get gas, started down the road that leads back to the interstate, was doing a constant 45 mph or so, and experienced that unpredictable unintended acceleration - you know, driving along and out of the blue the car starts to take off. Also, I stopped to pee at the rest stop at the Lincoln Monument (highest point on I-80) and on the downhill entrance ramp re-entering the interstate the X3 held a gear all the way to red-line/7K rpms as I entered the interstate. Tell me an automatic transmission in a $46K BMW is designed to red-line. I even drove off the next two exit ramps just to see if I could replicate this upon again re-entering the interstate. Of course, I couldn't and instead the X3 acted much like one would expect, running right up through the gears as I reached 70+ mph and entered back onto I-80. Each and every time my X3 runs as I would expect/hope, I absolutely love it. As Mitch indicated, the Xdrive is tops, particularly if you live someplace like Wyoming.

Terry

You running in D or SD?

The tranny has held gears a little when cold which is normal. It will also hold a gear (all in D) if it senses you want more go or you have a lead foot. I have never once experienced random unintended acceleration, but easing off the gas should, even after a delay cause the tranny to upshift and get back to normal. That goes for any auto btw, not being specific to the 07-08 X3.

Formerly
2007 X3 Premium, step
2005 X3 Premium, Manual
2004 BMW 320i, step
2000 BMW 323i, 5 speed
1985 BMW 528e, 5 speed
Old 03-13-2008, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Hi Mitch. I was running in D mode, as my SD mode just accentuates all of those rough and erratic shifting complaints I have with my X3. Engine was thoroughly warm. Also, my throttle input (although "leaded foot" could loosely apply) was essentially the same each time I exited/re-entered the interstate to see whether the red-lining would be replicated - and for that matter was much the same as about 75% of my interstate entries out here in the wide open wild wild West. On the "re-tries" the shifting occurred around 4K to 5K rpms. Even the BMW folks like to think of these rigs as designed and built to be driven - unless the red-line in the autos is a fiction just put on the tach "for show," I have a difficult time thinking 7K rpms is something designed to occur with a "hard driven" entry onto an interstate, downhill no less. For that matter, when I drive "hard" entering interstates, my X3 most often shifts somewhere between 4K and 5K rpms. To be clear, I've never "raced" any vehicle, including my X3. In fact, I quite often drive very conservatively from stop sign to stop sign in my little town of 60 thousand. That's perhaps my unique or personal problem with my X3's rough shifting, as the problem is much less noticeable if one drives fairly hard from 1st to 3rd in D - that sort of driving just doesn't work too well in my little prairie town.

Sometime back in the auto transmission thread I posted about some unintended acceleration I can replicate each and every effort in M mode. Something along these lines:

Try starting from a stop in M1 by applying just enough gas pedal to reach around 1400 to 1600 rpms, and maintain those rpms in M1 for as long as the car will do so. Without applying any additional gas pedal, will your X3 then accelerate to around 3000 to 3500 rmps in M1? Mine does this after about 2 seconds at the 1400 rpm range.

I PM'ed some of the posters to see if they too could replicate this in M mode. Here are some samples of the responses from 3 different '07 owners:

"I performed your test several times and it functioned normally each time. I could have driven at 1400 to 1600 rpm all day.
"
and,

"Yep, tried it in the parking lot last night and had the 'throttle creep' you described.

and,
"I tried this several times and did not experience what you did. The mystery continues."

I have no idea whether and to what extent this unintended acceleration in 1st gear while in M mode may be related to the 4 occasions (in 13K miles) I've experienced unintended acceleration while at fairly constant speeds of 30 mph or 40 mph, etc. But the sensation is quite similar - the car starts to take off despite not having received input from me. My rig really is a mystery to me.

BTW, I again invite all readers of this post/thread to try the little M mode 1st gear experiment and me/us know the results.

Last edited by Terry J. Harris; 03-13-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Ask Yourself

Quote:
+1

More Bimmerroast than Bimmerfest on the X3 board/
Or there are those that are so blind with loyalty that they will forgive a malfunction that can be life threatening when merging with traffic and more.
Ask your self why are there so many "Disgruntled" 07 X3 owners?

This problem is now surfacing in MT's which were thought to be immune to the auto-acceleration, or shift lag reserved for just the AT model.

I only address this person's concerns since they asked about the 07 X3 in a seperate thread other than the sticky thread.

My main point is you know both sides of the story. It is a great handling vehicle and a joy to drive when it does what it is supposed to do, but that great handling will not compensate for the lack of accleration or spontaneous jerky symptoms of the transmission. In the end you must drive the vehicle, read the posts, look up BMW's history with the BBB, NHTSA, etc.... and decide for yourself.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
on more than one occasion I had to move the shifter to manual to get it out of holding a gear, even after I completely removed my foot from the accelerator - regardless if I was going up or down hill.

As is evidenced by people like Mitch, it doesn't happen to every 07 or 08 (or, these posters are more tolerant than others, or really just don't know any better), and it NEVER was an issue in my 06 that had the 5-speed.

But regardless, it can be a hit or miss problem, and for those cars that have the problem it can be a serious issue, and quite possibly life threatening; which is reason enough for BMW to own up to this mistake.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle

Last edited by kjboyd; 03-13-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
on more than one occasion I had to move the shifter to manual to get it out of holding a gear, even after I completely removed my foot from the accelerator...
This I experience consistently over certain portions of road and I also get around it by pulling for a higher gear. But at least it's predictable.

As I read your post it suddenly occurred to me that this is going to drive my wife nuts when she experiences it because she's used to the smooth, consistent shifting of her Jeep Liberty.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:10 AM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Quote:
leasing a 2007 x3 with 5k miles. $500k monthly, 12k miles, $0 down.
Here's my question for the OP....

Why would you lease this X3 when you can get a similar deal on a brand new 2008 X3?

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 AM

Quote:
[B][U]Or there are those that are so blind with loyalty that they will forgive a malfunction that can be life threatening when merging with traffic and more.
No should have blind loyalty, and I do not have for BMW. Heck my every day driver is a Merc, not a BMW. The Bimmer is my wife's and our general family car I drive all weekend and trips etc.

I am saying BMWs legacy speaks for itself, and while I cannot speak for other dealers, my local dealer will stand on it's head before it lets you off unsatisfied, so there is no need to take problems further then working with a customer oriented dealership for 99.9% of the time. To be fair if that fails, I would not hesitate to move up the ladder even if it were a small issue.

Formerly
2007 X3 Premium, step
2005 X3 Premium, Manual
2004 BMW 320i, step
2000 BMW 323i, 5 speed
1985 BMW 528e, 5 speed

Last edited by Mitch3672; 03-14-2008 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Quote:
Hello board,

advice most appreciated.

thanks
$500 per month for a used vehicle???--run away, with sales and the economy down I suspect you could do better on a new '08 vehicle--or look at other manufactures such as Hundai, Honda, Toyota etc---very reliable, score as good or better than the X3 in reviews and save around $15-18k. I have an '07 X3 and I like the vehicle but don't think it is worth $46k. The trans is quirky, and the electronics fussy. Also why doesn't the original owner know what options the vehicle has--didn't he but it?? He must have the sales ordder and the window sticker--I would turn my back on this deal.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:25 AM

Agreed

Quote:
I would not hesitate to move up the ladder even if it were a small issue.

That is the root of the problem. The dealers are unable to help with this. The flaw is in design. Our best guess at this point is software based (since BWWNA will admit to nothing--"No problem Found")

That being said, the X3's problem is not cosmetic, or minor mechanics, or even low level electronics. This is a major part of the vehicle....The drive train.

The level that this must be dealt with is up the corporate ladder in R & D. I know my dealer and many others would like nothing better than to resolve these kinds of problems. It's hard enough to sell vehicles nowadays, who wants their own company sabotaging their efforts.

Sorry, Bigsmoke for the rant.

Many of us disagree on aspects of the X3. What we do agree on is that you should test drive it for a long period of time, and/or look into a NEW X3 lease for the same amount of money. Chances are you will be happy and less likely to run into what some of have. Can't hurt to check. right?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:

Many of us disagree on aspects of the X3. What we do agree on is that you should test drive it for a long period of time, and/or look into a NEW X3 lease for the same amount of money. Chances are you will be happy and less likely to run into what some of have. Can't hurt to check. right?

Yes I agree. That is the bottom line.

Formerly
2007 X3 Premium, step
2005 X3 Premium, Manual
2004 BMW 320i, step
2000 BMW 323i, 5 speed
1985 BMW 528e, 5 speed
Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

It's completely normal for the automatic gearbox to hold gears when going uphill. Sometimes, it holds it a bit too long. You've really only got a problem when you start going downhill and the gearbox doesn't upshift.

I drive around in Charlottesville, VA which is at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The gearbox holds gears lots of the time.........no biggie. The 2.5 litre needs the revs to move up any gradient anyways. I've driven on highways in mountains where it shifts and holds 4th gear on long highway inclines regardless of vehicle speed. It's seen 150 km/h @ 4500rpm for long stretches.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
Azn: i live in Sacramento.. a VALLEY, with NO hills and it does it to me... sorry, DID it to me.

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboyd View Post
Azn: i live in Sacramento.. a VALLEY, with NO hills and it does it to me... sorry, DID it to me.
Yeah....sorry the whole gearbox didn't work out for you. For some reason, BMW can't get it to work properly on the 6AT. My mom's '06 325i never holds a gear. Ever. Even uphill.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:27 PM

Thanks for everyone's input.

So 1. Yes! I will take the car for a thorough test drive. I think that's the only way to tell.

I have done a brief one, and didn't notice, but more time will be necessary.

2. I typically drive pretty hard. Try to get the most out of the car I can within legal limits. Curious about how that will affect the possible issue and what would happen after a "reset."

3. In terms of the deal, I'm pretty sure this is a good deal. I'm in NJ. And I was quoted $669 monthly for a similarly optioned '08 with only 10k annual.

The car has (I've now found out!)

Sport
Premium
Navigation
Cold Weather
Premium Sound

Has someone really got that for $500 monthly?