Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 04-23-2003, 08:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Thrasherlife
Mein Auto: 1998 M3 saloon
Question Trunk releases don't work

So on the way home today, the right rear tail light went out. The instrument cluster worked exactly as it should (pretty cool by the way ). When I was checking the bulb, I couldn't get the trunk to release from the button near the dead pedal and hood release. I must have pressed it 20 times and nothing. So I got out and tried to open it from the button under the lip. And that didn't work either. I made sure that both doors were unlocked and tried it another 10 times and it just wouldn't open. The only way I could open it was through the button on the key. I just don't get it. Has anyone had this problem before?

Thrasherlife

P.S. it is an 01 330ci

M3 SEDAN CLUB #10
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2003, 08:55 PM
-The Mouth-

Send a message via AIM to 3seriesbimmer
Mein Auto: 06 Saab 9-3 Aero
Have you used the Valet key in recent times???...... by locking your trunk with this key from the outside... The ONLY way you will further be able to open your trunk is by using the trunk button on your full feature key or by unlocking the trunk manually with the full function key.... by using the valet key to lock the trunk you dissable the inside trunk release button AND the trunk realease pad under the plate outside to prevent unwanted people from accessing anything but the engine start.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:15 PM

THANKS . It worked. The car was at the dealership last saturday so they must have locked the trunk and forgotten to unlock it.

Thrasherlife

M3 SEDAN CLUB #10
Old 04-23-2003, 09:17 PM
-The Mouth-

great to hear!
Old 04-24-2003, 12:53 AM
buy my window glass!

Send a message via AIM to XKxRome0ox
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i
you guys have an internal trunk release???

:jealous:
Old 04-24-2003, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XKxRome0ox
you guys have an internal trunk release???

:jealous:
Yep... only on 330's I think.

Thrasherlife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pedals copy.jpg
Views:	2608
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	11063  

M3 SEDAN CLUB #10
Old 04-24-2003, 05:29 AM
Ölmeßstabmeister

Mein Auto: '03 530i
Quote:
Originally posted by Thrasherlife
Yep... only on 330's I think.

Thrasherlife
They're on all coupes too...
Old 04-24-2003, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi PP,SP,CW,NAV
When you hit the trunk release on the key, does your trunk just pop open a little, or does it open all the way?

I can't recall if it was the BMW or the A4, but one of the salespersons were telling me that one of the nice things about the trunk is that it opens all the way when pressing the button. That way, if you have your arms full of groceries or stuff, you can drop it right in the open trunk.

-msp_guy
Old 04-24-2003, 11:02 AM
Obviously not doing work

Send a message via Yahoo to jumpingmatt
Mein Auto: 2003 325xi SP/CW/Moon/Xen
Quote:
Originally posted by ZBB 325Ci
It's on my '03 325xi as well...
Old 04-24-2003, 11:02 AM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Quote:
Originally posted by ZBB 325Ci
All Tourings, too.

And no business with the valet key or anything. Only 3 lock cylinders on the ENTIRE car (ignition, driver door, glovebox).
Old 04-24-2003, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally posted by msp_guy
When you hit the trunk release on the key, does your trunk just pop open a little, or does it open all the way?

I can't recall if it was the BMW or the A4, but one of the salespersons were telling me that one of the nice things about the trunk is that it opens all the way when pressing the button. That way, if you have your arms full of groceries or stuff, you can drop it right in the open trunk.

-msp_guy
Definitely not on a 3 or 5 series. I think the 7 w/ the automatic trunk opening option does this. I don't think the A4 does this-- I know the old Mercedes E class did this.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Obviously not doing work

Quote:
Originally posted by robg
Definitely not on a 3 or 5 series. I think the 7 w/ the automatic trunk opening option does this. I don't think the A4 does this-- I know the old Mercedes E class did this.
Saw some video of the new VW Phaeton that showed its trunk both opening completely and closing completely via remote. Looked really cool, but probably only useful when you don't want to work too hard to get the orange warning triangle out of the trunk when you car is stuck on the side of the road with a failed ignition coil pack.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi PP,SP,CW,NAV
Hmm.. Well, I know it was on one of the cars that I test drove.. Just can't remember which. I drove the 330 (bought), A4, Jag S-type, GS300, and GS35 sedan.

It wasn't so much a motorized opening, but the air-compressed arms would push it open it once it was "popped". Nice feature, but not essential.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:16 PM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: truck
I have an internal trunk release on my 325i
Old 04-24-2003, 05:08 PM
buy my window glass!

Send a message via AIM to XKxRome0ox
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by jumpingmatt
a failed ignition coil pack.
is this a common VW/Audi malfunction?
my sister's 2002 audi a4 just had to get the ignition coils or whatever replaced

(also the a4 trunk doesn't open fully at the press of a button)

i looked like an idiot at the airport when they were doing security checks... the guy asked me to open the trunk... and i couldn't figure out how...
i tried pushing the keyfob trunk button... but it doesn't work when your key is in the ignition
finally i remembered that i can hit the door unlock button and then manually open the trunk
Old 04-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Obviously not doing work

Quote:
Originally posted by XKxRome0ox
is this a common VW/Audi malfunction?
my sister's 2002 audi a4 just had to get the ignition coils or whatever replaced
Most Audi/VWs built in the last couple years have had to get the coil packs replaced, either when they failed or under recall, which just finally started. I think every one with the 1.8t, 2.8l vr6, and 3.0l v6 engines have to go in if they haven't had to already due to failure. Been kinda big news lately, sales are way down, lots of negative press surrounding the company's initial reaction and their lack of replacement parts.

Honestly, when I was shopping for my car a few months ago, that whole saga pretty much sealed the deal, though I am sure I would have gone with the bimmer anyway, I mean come on;-)
Old 04-24-2003, 05:29 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
A friend of mine had to have 2 of his 4 packs replaced on 2 separate occasions. Then he ran into a VW tech while in line at a Subway or something, and poof, the other 2 were replaced.

It doesn't help that VW has been having some internal issues with some reorganization that had been done recently in their parts distribution channel.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:34 PM
sometimes i wish for an x

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally posted by 3seriesbimmer
Have you used the Valet key in recent times???...... by locking your trunk with this key from the outside... The ONLY way you will further be able to open your trunk is by using the trunk button on your full feature key or by unlocking the trunk manually with the full function key.... by using the valet key to lock the trunk you dissable the inside trunk release button AND the trunk realease pad under the plate outside to prevent unwanted people from accessing anything but the engine start.
anyway to get the feature back? like if i used the valet key, then unlocked the trunk using the full key, it wouldn't turn the function back on? i only ask because i have no idea where my valet key is and my trunk release is off... btw, does anyone know what a replacement valet key will cost? i know the master keys run 130-150.... thanks
Old 04-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Obviously not doing work

It is really too bad because if they could get their act together with all the electrical problems, they would have some really nice and competitive cars. My mom's 95 Passat had to have several window regulators, a resistor bank for the fan, and two sunroof motors replaced, and had to have a ton of work done looking into why the alarm would go off at random, even when disarmed. Eventually they just had to have it disconnected. But she put like 180K miles on it and the clutch and engine were still rock solid.

Of course it couldn't have bothered her too much, because she just replaced it with an 03 Passat. Had the coils replaced before it even left the lot.

Last edited by jumpingmatt; 04-24-2003 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
anyway to get the feature back? like if i used the valet key, then unlocked the trunk using the full key, it wouldn't turn the function back on? i only ask because i have no idea where my valet key is and my trunk release is off... btw, does anyone know what a replacement valet key will cost? i know the master keys run 130-150.... thanks
You can't use the Valet key to upen the trunk. If you tried to put it in, it wouldn't work. What they mean to say was, if you put your master key into the trunk lock and turn it all the way to the right (horizontal), the only way to open it is with the key fob, whereas when the lock is in the middle position (vertical), you can use the master key, button under trunk lip, or button inside of car (if you have one). Hope that clarifies it up a little.

Thrasherlife

M3 SEDAN CLUB #10
Old 04-24-2003, 08:57 PM
-The Mouth-

all 3 series 2002 and newer have the trunk release regardless of 325/330 config.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:16 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally posted by msp_guy

That way, when it's raining, you can get everything in your trunk wet!
Old 04-25-2003, 08:27 AM
SPF 100 Protection

Mein Auto: truck
Quote:
Originally posted by RKT BMR
That way, when it's raining, you can get everything in your trunk wet!
I think it would get we regardless because even if the trun just popped open like ours and not all the way, you still have to lift it up and put the groceries in, so if the trunk opened all the way from pressing the button, it's quicker and less time for the groceries being in the rain
Old 04-25-2003, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by eugeneDC/TX
E46 VALET KEY 101

The normal and valet keys differ in the depth of the lengthwise groove cut into both sides of the key. The glovebox and trunk lock mechanisms are designed such that they will mechanically only accept the standard key -- the valet key will not fit, so can not be used to mechanically unlock a locked glovebox or trunk.

The door and steering column lock cylinders are designed such that they can mechanically accept both the standard and valet keys for operation.

All E46 models include an electronic-actuated trunk release button in the driver floorwell near the mechanical hood release lever. On the trunk itself, there is also a release switch that electronically actuates the trunk release servo mechanism. The trunk lock can be be released either electronically via the cabin switch, the trunk-lid switch, the remote button on the standard key, the central locking switch on the center console, or mechanically via the lock cylinder. All E46 models have a means to disable the electronic servo-actuated unlocking of the trunk, which makes this location secure if a person has only the valet key.

Coupe and Sedan Models
Electronic unlocking is disabled by mechanically locking the trunk via the trunk lock cylinder using the standard key. The glovebox can also be locked this way, although it does not affect the electronic unlocking buttons.

Convertible
Because the convertible can be locked and "secured" with the top down, providing unsecured access to the passenger area, the locking protocol works a bit differently.

The glovebox has an actuating solenoid in the latch mechanism that locks the glovebox as part of the central locking system -- i.e., when the car is locked with the central locking button on the center console, the remote on the key, or directly with the key in the driver's door lock cylinder, the glovebox locks along with the doors and the trunk.

The trunk key cylinder serves only the function of mechanically unlocking the trunk -- it does not provide the disabling function for electronic unlocking via various buttons in the cabin.

Valet mode is acomplished by locking the glovebox mechanically via the standard key. This will lock the glovebox and disable any means of opening the trunk other than with the standard key trunk remote, or using the standard key to mechanically open the trunk via the lock cylinder. Therefore, if a person is in posession of only the valet key, they will be able to lock/unlock and start the car, but will not be able to gain access to the trunk or glovebox, making these storage locations secure.

In the description above, the plastic wallet key can be substituted for the valet key with the same effect (I think -- I haven't actually compared the three different keys, but I'm assuming the plastic key is cut the same way as the valet key given BMW's current (new) practice regarding the exclusion of the valet key from the product).
Old 04-25-2003, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by tgravo2
I think it would get we regardless because even if the trun just popped open like ours and not all the way, you still have to lift it up and put the groceries in, so if the trunk opened all the way from pressing the button, it's quicker and less time for the groceries being in the rain
Nahhhhh... I've gotten pretty good at the control-the-trunk-lid-in-the-rain-and-slip-something-in-or-out-without-getting-it-wet twostep.