Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Not Quite Sane

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Question Can the lock/unlock whistle sound be disabled?

I have a 1997 528i and I'm a total BMW newbie. I seriously want to disable the whistle-like sound that occurs whenever the doors are locked or unlocked. Is there a simple (preferably but not necessarily DIY) way to do this, without screwing anything else up?
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i (01/2000 mfg.)
This question was posed a few weeks ago and a member here managed to do it once, however by accident. I don't think he's managed to replicate the sequence for us, but here's the thread, maybe you can send Chivas a private message:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266647
Old 03-16-2008, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 1998 528i
Well I bascially did what Chivas said rolled down my driver side window with the key turned to the second position, then held down the lock button on my key itself, took the key out and the "chime" went away.

My only problem is that I can't get it turned back on, (just in case I ever wanted to). Hmmm.......
Old 03-16-2008, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i (01/2000 mfg.)
Oh snap it worked!? You should chime in on that thread and update it.

This would be a good DIY.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Well I bascially did what Chivas said rolled down my driver side window with the key turned to the second position, then held down the lock button on my key itself, took the key out and the "chime" went away.

My only problem is that I can't get it turned back on, (just in case I ever wanted to). Hmmm.......
that's a new question for a new thread.

doing the same thing might cycle it back.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Mmm...Reeeeed

Mein Auto: 2001 540i Sport
I'm slightly confused here...

I have an '01 540i that doesn't chime when I unlock or lock the car. Does it come standard on the car or has someone gone ahead of me and disabled it? The red light always flashes when it's locked, but never any noise.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 97' 540i
Does anyone know where the darn wolf whistle thing is?

It would be easier to just unplug it than doing the entire rainmaker dance around it five times to disable it.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15

Last edited by dvsgene; 03-16-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedExX5 View Post
I'm slightly confused here...

I have an '01 540i that doesn't chime when I unlock or lock the car. Does it come standard on the car or has someone gone ahead of me and disabled it? The red light always flashes when it's locked, but never any noise.

Set off your alarm by either locking the car from while still inside the car with the remote, lock the car with the remote with the windows down (wait 3 mins then open manually with key or remote) or try to jack up your car after locking your car with the remote. If the siren doesn't sound, it has been disabled.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:48 PM
Not Quite Sane

I tried the "window down, key in, lock button" routine a couple times, but it didn't do anything for me. Still have that annoying whistle.

I was also wondering: Does disabling it disable the entire alarm function? That's not what I'm after; I want the alarm, just no stupid arm/disarm whistle.

I'm assuming the thing that makes the whistle noise is the same horn that sounds the alarm when needed. If that's the case, obviously, disabling it would also disable the alarm sound.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by radial View Post
I tried the "window down, key in, lock button" routine a couple times, but it didn't do anything for me. Still have that annoying whistle.

I was also wondering: Does disabling it disable the entire alarm function? That's not what I'm after; I want the alarm, just no stupid arm/disarm whistle.

I'm assuming the thing that makes the whistle noise is the same horn that sounds the alarm when needed. If that's the case, obviously, disabling it would also disable the alarm sound.
Yes, the whistle noise and alarm siren are one in the same. They come from the same siren located in passenger side wheel well.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
u could just unplug the speaker that makes the noise and plug it baq in when u need it, i tink? where ever that speaker is....
Old 03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by firozu View Post
u could just unplug the speaker that makes the noise and plug it baq in when u need it, i tink? where ever that speaker is....
Not unless you want to jack up your car, remove your tire and wheel well cover EACH time you want to do that.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
ooo oooopz nvm den sorry....
Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Not Quite Sane

I think once I get my hands on the manual, I'll kill the whole siren. I really hate the whistling that much.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Well, if you hate the whistle, for about $80 you can swap out the siren for the "beep-beep" modern siren:

P/N 65 75 8 383 153

Instructions Here
Old 03-16-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the info Dvs......
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Quote:

Logically, and purely a theory. Try the reverse by holding unlock instead of lock and see if the chime returns.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Not Quite Sane

Quote:

Did this disable just the chime/whistle, or the entire alarm feature?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Logically, and purely a theory. Try the reverse by holding unlock instead of lock and see if the chime returns.
Yep, that's what I did.........but to be honest, I think the whole alarm system was disabled, I didn't investigate to much into it though.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsgene View Post
Well, if you hate the whistle, for about $80 you can swap out the siren for the "beep-beep" modern siren:

P/N 65 75 8 383 153

Instructions Here
i love wolfie! it makes my car stand out when locking/unlocking at the malls and not be "one of them".

i hated my beeping alarm; it sounded almost like everyone else.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Not Quite Sane

I don't care (never have) about being original or anything like that. I like what I like and I stick to it. If every bimmer in the world was white, but I happened to prefer white, I'd still get a white one. Many people would get a black one and go against their preference just to be "original", but I'm not built that way. So it's not that.

My problem with the whistle is that I live in a...how you say...crappy neighborhood. The last thing I want is to advertise that I have a BMW, and when I come and go. It's also just too damned loud. If I leave early in the morning or late at night, it's easily conceivable that I could wake or otherwise disturb neighbors (particularly if they have their windows open). I'm 100% positive that if I were in an adjacent house, the noise would wake me up, and I'd be pissed. Even during reasonable hours, I find it embarrassing to use.

There's no reason there couldn't be an option to arm the system but not whistle, but the sense I'm getting is that there isn't (at least not on the E39).

Last edited by radial; 03-17-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:45 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Quote:
I don't care (never have) about being original or anything like that. I like what I like and I stick to it. If every bimmer in the world was white, but I happened to prefer white, I'd still get a white one. Many people would get a black one and go against their preference just to be "original", but I'm not built that way. So it's not that.

My problem with the whistle is that I live in a...how you say...crappy neighborhood. The last thing I want is to advertise that I have a BMW, and when I come and go. It's also just too damned loud. If I leave early in the morning or late at night, it's easily conceivable that I could wake or otherwise disturb neighbors (particularly if they have their windows open). I'm 100% positive that if I were in an adjacent house, the noise would wake me up, and I'd be pissed. Even during reasonable hours, I find it embarrassing to use.

There's no reason there couldn't be an option to arm the system but not whistle, but the sense I'm getting is that there isn't (at least not on the E39).
pressing lock and unlock fast enough only makes it go off once then twice.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 97' 540i
Quote:
My problem with the whistle is that I live in a...how you say...crappy neighborhood. The last thing I want is to advertise that I have a BMW, and when I come and go. It's also just too damned loud. .
Well that is easy. Get a gun. Whenever you are locking, shoot in air. Timing will need a little work. That way the whistle would get muffled by the gunshot sound. Even if someone manages to figure out that you have a BMW, no one will come close to it.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Not Quite Sane

I believe they know I have guns and that I'm not the sanest guy around (no lectures, please). That's probably why they haven't messed with it (or my M-B) as yet. Thanks for the laugh though.