Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3, 635csi, tii, gto
Smile 08 X3 High Beam Halogen Upgrade

Wasn't happy with the high beams so I installed 2 PIAA H-218 H7's that burn at 4000K. Result is much "whiter" beam with 20-30% longer reach; they're expensive (~$75 a pair) but well worth the results. The process is a real PITA and the vague instructions in the owner's manual for doing so are laughable. Removing the originals is no problem once you shrink your hands down to half-size, remove the plastic housing cover, press down on the bulb socket and remove the socket/bulb assembly. I had to remove the w/s washer tank and air intake duct/air filter top to gain enough clearance for the job.
The super PITA is installing the new bulb assembly into the headlight housing cause you can't see what you're doing since your hand obstructs a decent view so carefully eyeball the thing first then proceed cautiously being certain that the tang on the bulb flange is exactly at 12 o'clock high, otherwise the bulb flange will not snap home in the headlight housing .
Words of caution:
1. Wear safety goggles since bulbs are under high pressure and are very fragile.
2. Don't touch the bulb with bare skin.
3. Expect to skin some knuckles in the process; no room for gloves.

Cheers,
bobkap
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2008, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: '07 X3, '03 Z4
Just a waste of money--they look cool but provide no more usable light than stock bulbs

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

I installed a set of the Ostram silverstars in my Z4--they work good but anytime you replace older ( mine is a '04) bulbs with new it will be brighter as headlight bulbs loose output over time. I read the tests run by "Daniel Stern Lighting" that did a real world test with many bulbs and the stock halogens outpreformed most all others especially the PIAA brand. Something to keep in mind when they burn out.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: x3, 635csi, tii, gto
dug,
Did my own test with L stock and R PIAA, didn't have a photometer but the H-218's definitely threw more light on the target 500' distant.
Regarding longevity, will just have to wait and see and keep the oem bulbs at hand.
bobkap

Last edited by bobkap; 03-18-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '05 Z4 3.0i & '08 X3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkap View Post
2. Don't touch the bulb with bare skin.
Just like rolling tubes in my high-fi equipment.