Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2008: Santa Barbara, CA
May 3rd has come and gone. Read stories, check out the pics and more from the largest BMW gathering in the land...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i
Bimmerfest-- Newbie question

Please don't flame me-- I'm not a troll here. I'm a new, first time BMW owner who doesn't live too far from to Santa Barbara, and I'm wondering if this 'Bimmerfest' thing is of interest to me.

You see I'm a middle aged guy who is enjoying the driving experience, but I have absolutely no interest in taking this or any other car to the track.. as a racer. I like to watch auto racing -- heck , I grew up in Indianapolis.

Nonetheless, I don't want to race, and since my car is leased, any modifications are pretty much out. I admit that seeing all those BMWs in one place could be interesting, but enough to drive about 500 miles round trip?

In other words, what, if anything, does this event have to offer a middle aged, uncool guy like me?
Ads by Google
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster
Bimmerfest-- Newbie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevej2001 View Post
Please don't flame me-- I'm not a troll here. I'm a new, first time BMW owner who doesn't live too far from to Santa Barbara, and I'm wondering if this 'Bimmerfest' thing is of interest to me.

You see I'm a middle aged guy who is enjoying the driving experience, but I have absolutely no interest in taking this or any other car to the track.. as a racer. I like to watch auto racing -- heck , I grew up in Indianapolis.

Nonetheless, I don't want to race, and since my car is leased, any modifications are pretty much out. I admit that seeing all those BMWs in one place could be interesting, but enough to drive about 500 miles round trip?

In other words, what, if anything, does this event have to offer a middle aged, uncool guy like me?

It's a car show... No racing. And yes, there are a lot of us middle agers. You'll see 18 year olds to 70 year olds. Large event, but 500 miles is short stretch of the legs... It's up to you. Santa Barbara is spectacular this time of the year. Spend the week!

2008 135i Convertible
1997 Z3 2.8 Roadster Sold
Old 03-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Original Driving Machine

Mein Auto: 1974 Inka 1802 Touring
Welcome to the world of BMW's, you made a good choice. There is something for everyone at Bimmerfest. There are definitely multiple car cultures present at Bimmerfest. But they are all BMW "Car Crazy" and thoroughly enjoying themselves.

I am probably older than you are, and still own my first BMW (1976 2002). I am already looking forward to the event. You will see babies there, as well as people in their 80s. There are wild and crazy young people (sometime a little too enthusiastic), and fussy old farts (still young at heart).

Connect up with a caravan, and the drive will seem very short. I live in SB and actually drive an hour north or south to join the fun of the caravans and come back in with them. Santa Barbara offers a lot if you bring family, it can be a fun weekend.

You are welcome to spend your whole day "Hanging" with us classic BMW guys, Young and old.

Plan on coming, I am sure you won't regret it.

The "original" Ultimate Driving Machine
'76 Inka 2002, Original owner, Old Daily Driver
'74 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver
Old 03-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Petrolhead

Mein Auto: 328i
You should go. Join up with one of the caravans and make a day of it-A day of bimmer greatness!
............................that's what gets you."

..................................................-Jeremy Clarkson
Old 03-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: '01 740iL
I'm a middle-aged guy myself, although I don't act like it. This will be my first time to Bimmerfest, too. No age discrimination with Bimmerfest.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:51 PM
Tamer of the Mighty V8

Mein Auto: Black 1995 540i
Quote:
but enough to drive about 500 miles round trip?
Where are coming from that's a 500 mile RT, our caravan is coming from the Bay Area and the Washington, Oregon and a few Canadiens will be joing us like they always do.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:55 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:

Go ahead. There are features for everybody, including a to be 60 year old guy like me. Extend yourself to meet the other old farts. I won't make it this year only because I have to complete my planning for a EU trip, but I've attended everyone since 2001.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 03-22-2008 at 09:59 PM.