Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1983 BMW 528e
1983 528e timing belt/chain?

Hi - I have a 1983 528e that was running fine until my daughter drove about a block and it stopped. When I got there and tried to start it it sounded hollow in the engine and then it backfired, but never completely turned over. Someone told me that it was probably the timing chain and that if that was the case the engine was ruined. If anyone is familiar with a similar issue or knows anything about the timing chain on this model car and if there would be that kind of damage, i.e., engine gone, could you please let me know? I would like to get it fixed is possible, but want to have an idea of the problem first. Thanks for all of your help.
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Your car doesn't have a timing chain, it has a timing BELT. If it did broke, and it sure sounds like it, you probably have some bent valves and will need to take a look at the top of the pistons to see if there was more extensive damage. These engines are known as "interference engines" because if the timing goes off something will hit very soon! I was involved in an accident in my 325e (same engine) and my engine stopped completely due to a destroyed ignition cap (radiator support went all the way back!) and a broken timing belt. I had to replace all exhaust valves which happen to be the expensive ones but had no more damage. You might consider some rebuilt heads available in Ebay and you'll need a head gasket set along with new bolts (these are not made to be reused in this engine).
If you are planning on doing this yourself, give yourself a full weekend and get a Bentley!

Good Luck!