Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Brake Pads Service due - How long can it go ...

Hello everyone,
I am sure there is already a thread about the disputed topic but my search did not return anything, if you know please feel free to redirect me.

Anyways, my car has been showing service due on brake bads and brake fluid change. It's been on fir almost two weeks now. It started with yellow background it is red now.

I don't have that time in my hands, at least for next two weeks.

How long can I go without changing the bads and fluids? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2015, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: xDrive 50i
The fluid isn't a big issue. If you go too far, the rotors can be damaged and braking reduced as no pads are left. I don't know how much pad wise you have left and that is the real indicator.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Eh, probably fine. Is the red BRAKE message on the cluster by the speedo? If yes, then the sensor has been tripped- There is one sensor and FOUR pads. So at least that one is about 2mm.

You really need to change rotors with pads, so Id not be very concerned with more wear or rotor damage. If you got 40k miles on 8mm of pad, you can get 10k on 2mm. roughly.

Of course breaking performance (and safety) can be impacted.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
I was on -200 miles when I changed the front pads / since the service due changed from yellow to red - also did not have time to have that changed earlier.

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 01-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

there is a wear sensor and the mileage based calculation..TWO different processes. The mileage based one on the center console is a GUESS. Lots of latitude on that.

If the pad sensor is tripped then you DEFINITELY have one (or more) pads below minimum. I wouldnt go more than a few hundred miles.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:59 PM

When the mileage on the center console reached zero miles, "brake" message popped up on the dashboard. Is the "brake" message related to the pad sensor? If not, how should I know that the sensor is tripped?

Old 01-19-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Eh, probably fine. Is the red BRAKE message on the cluster by the speedo? If yes, then the sensor has been tripped- There is one sensor and FOUR pads. So at least that one is about 2mm.

You really need to change rotors with pads, so Id not be very concerned with more wear or rotor damage. If you got 40k miles on 8mm of pad, you can get 10k on 2mm. roughly.

Of course breaking performance (and safety) can be impacted.

"Service" message is in the middle cluster b/w speedometer and RPM.

The front pars look thinner than the rear ones. Changing the entire front (rotors, pads and sensors) will be enough or do I change the rear ones as well?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:07 AM

I found a bunch of brake pads on amazon.com. Brands like URO PARTS, Akebono, Mann, Monroe, Max, Stop Tech. They offer lower prices than the OEMs. Which ones are more recommended to purchse?

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_x5 View Post
"Service" message is in the middle cluster b/w speedometer and RPM.

The front pars look thinner than the rear ones. Changing the entire front (rotors, pads and sensors) will be enough or do I change the rear ones as well?
SEE UPDATE BELOW

Quote:
I found a bunch of brake pads on amazon.com. Brands like URO PARTS, Akebono, Mann, Monroe, Max, Stop Tech. They offer lower prices than the OEMs. Which ones are more recommended to purchse?

Thanks.
I just threw on the akebono euro pads. Lots of options. Do a search for feedback. I also bought the Zimmerman rotors, this is AFAIK, the BMW OEM (ie Zimmerman makes the rotors that BMW then sells as BMW OE parts....THIS is the true definiton of an OEM, by the way)

160 for rotors, 65 for pads. free prime, had them in two days.

Last edited by ard; 03-05-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
So neither of the sensors has been tripped. you do NOT need new senors until the red "BRAKE" light shows up on the cluster- this is a dedicated warning. (You can see it illuminate when you press the start button BEFORE starting the car.)

I just threw on the akebono euro pads. Lots of options. Do a search for feedback. I also bought the Zimmerman rotors, this is AFAIK, the BMW OEM (ie Zimmerman makes the rotors that BMW then sells as BMW OE parts....THIS is the true definiton of an OEM, by the way)

On BAVAUTO.COM I saw a deal of brakepads kit for 224.7USD. It has Meyle brake rotors, hold-down bolts, Pagid Red pads, front sensor and Noise-Free Anti-squeal compound. Is it worth purchasing based on the parts?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
So neither of the sensors has been tripped. you do NOT need new senors until the red "BRAKE" light shows up on the cluster- this is a dedicated warning. (You can see it illuminate when you press the start button BEFORE starting the car.)

By the way, Ard, thanks for clarification on the sensors.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: E70
Quote:
This statement is not exact true.
E70 brake pad sensors are 2 stage.

1st stage is for interval calibration. When it's tripped - computer starts the more accurate countdown till the approximate brake pad replacement moment

2nd stage is regular red warning.

If you replace the pads between stage 1 and stage 2 - you technically can keep the sensor, but you will NOT be able to reset the interval.

There is a workaround though. If you have the sensor tripped on the first stage - you can replace the pads, connect the NEW sensor, reset the interval and reconnect the old sensor back. But who needs to do it? New OEM sensor is $15 on ebay )

Last edited by PIXLFIX; 01-19-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Damit. Im stuck in the old sensor mindset. Thx for correcting.

The sensor is a pita to install, adds another 10 minutes. As these cars age the little plastic clips that hold the wires will start breaking too...
Old 01-19-2015, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: E70
Yeah, front sensor is easy, but the rear sensor AFAIK is beyond the arch cover.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:23 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
On BAVAUTO.COM I saw a deal of brakepads kit for 224.7USD. It has Meyle brake rotors, hold-down bolts, Pagid Red pads, front sensor and Noise-Free Anti-squeal compound. Is it worth purchasing based on the parts?
That's a decent price for average quality parts ... but this kit is a shipping exception ... Check the shipping. BavAuto is in NH. You are in TX.
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-20-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
That's a decent price for average quality parts ... but this kit is a shipping exception ... Check the shipping. BavAuto is in NH. You are in TX.

Thanks for your response Pax. When you average quality, what do you mean? I don't drive my X5 hard, meaning to say I drive it every day to/back from work, don't put a lot of pressure on it. Is the kit mentioned good enough for that kind of driving style?

They charged me with $50 for shipment.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:38 AM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Thanks for your response Pax. When you average quality, what do you mean? I don't drive my X5 hard, meaning to say I drive it every day to/back from work, don't put a lot of pressure on it. Is the kit mentioned good enough for that kind of driving style?

They charged me with $50 for shipment.
What bothers me the most about Meyle is they go to great lengths to hide the country of origin on their various products. Everything has the "Meyle Germany" label ... but usually no country of origin (not sure if that is even legal in the USA). Occasionally they slip up, and people have found "made in China" labels on some of them ... There is a reason they can offer their parts so inexpensively.

There is a good chance that these rotors will serve your purpose just fine and that you would never notice the difference ... for me, being a purist, I wont buy rotors from BMW, but I will buy Zimmermann brand, zinc coated rotors.

I have a complete front set for sale from my '08 4.8i (traded for my 50i) ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011(a).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	487710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012(a).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	487711  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zimmermann Disc Brake Rotor Front.pdf (748.9 KB, 11 views)
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 01-21-2015 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto:
Here is my experience. About 1200 miles after end 4/50000 warranty dash icon warning displayed. Agency would not replace front breaks. Count down started and then shortly after that stopped the brake light went on and warnings keep popping up on the display. I now have gone about 500 miles further and braking ok without noise. I ordered replacement front brakes from OEMbimmerparts costing $267 delivered. Consists of Zimmermann/Brembo rotors, Textar/Akebono ceramic pads, and OEM front brake sensor wire. Called "stage 2" package whatever that means. Going to have it installed in couple days by my Indy. I think I can save a few dollars going this route.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 PM

I paid $360 + no tax for OE rotors, pads and sensor. I have a bad experience with aftermarket rotors (Zimmermann) and will always buy OE front rotors.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Freude am Fahren

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanar200 View Post
... I have a bad experience with aftermarket rotors (Zimmermann) and will always buy OE front rotors.
Interesting ... what was your bad experience with Zimmermann rotors?
BMWCCA #20645
Old 01-21-2015, 01:52 PM

They were warping, 2 sets. Zimmermann agreed to refund me for the rotors and the installation. This was on 530. I know that many users are happy with this brand. I lost a lot of time dealing with this issue and do not want to risk again.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Im guessing a pad and rotor change...then not bedding the pads...then pads got hot, came to a full stop- and "warped rotors" declared by the shop.

But lets see...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Whoops, while I was posting. Rotors dont warp: http://www.centricparts.com/files/Ce...n%20Theory.pdf
Old 01-21-2015, 02:41 PM

Two sets of Zimmermann trashed. Zimmermann accepted return and paid also for the third party shop labor cost + shipping. OE rotors worked perfectly. The same shop, the same driver... I am done with aftermarket rotors, but wish all the best for others who want to use them.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilb3 View Post
Here is my experience. About 1200 miles after end 4/50000 warranty dash icon warning displayed. Agency would not replace front breaks. Count down started and then shortly after that stopped the brake light went on and warnings keep popping up on the display. I now have gone about 500 miles further and braking ok without noise. I ordered replacement front brakes from OEMbimmerparts costing $267 delivered. Consists of Zimmermann/Brembo rotors, Textar/Akebono ceramic pads, and OEM front brake sensor wire. Called "stage 2" package whatever that means. Going to have it installed in couple days by my Indy. I think I can save a few dollars going this route.

Thanks for the info. I should have checked the oembimmerparts.com before ordering from the bavauto. The prices are not too bad too. Especially they are having sales on the brake parts. That's fine. I will out the mayles on, next time around I will make sure to check the oembimmerparts.