Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: Porsche 997.2
Navigation Crazy Ivan in NJ

To anyone in NJ. Anyone have their Nav system tell them to get off the NJ Turnpike (randomly) make a huge loop and then get back on the same exit you have gotten off?? It has tricked me twice into doing so and I thought it was to avoid traffic - but it is not. Is my car hiding from someone??
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35d loaded
Yes, it did... But not on turnpike, but rather on rt 78 going west... "Crazy Ivan" - that is the best explanation I've ever heard for it, good one!

P.S. For those who dont know, it is a submariner slang ...
Previous : 2010 335xi Monaco Blue/Black with just about every option...
Previous : 2008 X5 4.8i Space Gray/Black with just about every option...
Old 10-04-2010, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Maybe its just clearing the baffles?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
while folks are discussing the nav, can anybody give a real world explanation of the "route criteria" that makes sense? "efficient" and "fast" look awfully similar to me.
i took a recent trip where the "fast" route was anything but the fastest way to get from A to B. thanks in advance.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
I wont be surprised that the navigation system programing was done (outsourced) by some IT guy in India or Korea!!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:51 AM
Casual Fan

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
One thing I've learned is you don't buy a BMW for sophisticated electronics. Its not their forte.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:08 AM

well, there is basically one map data base. then, companies like magellan or garmin buy the data, wrap a custom user inetrface around it and sell it. i'd bet a dollar that each of those companies does the OEM work for some handful of car brand nav systems. but in an effort to *not* look like (say) magellan (or, heavens forbid, to *not* look like Audi), there has to be some brand-specific stuff - like the efficient vs fast thingie i asked about. anyway, it really f***ed up the local directions for me when i was entering Baltimore this past Saturday - including (not deliberate, i think) sending me into an area about 1 square mile with *NO* working traffic lights and *NOBODY* directing traffic even at the major intersections! a total Mongolian clusterf**k.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
The only Navigation experience I have, is to compare this X5 (2010 MY) to my old Volvo V70 (2006 MY)
The RTI in that would let you put down way points, or programme in by street names multiple stops between A to Z.

This BMW unit at twice the price only seems to be able to deal with one destination at a time, and fiddling with the I-Drive whilst driving is down right dangerous.

What OEMs need to do is design a slot in the dash that you click your TomTom into, and use that. 10 x cheaper, and you can update it by down loads from the internet, and down load a route that your Buddy drove, or upload one for others.
These OEMs Volvo, Audi, BMW, all of them, rip us off 3 grand for satNav I-drive and then again at 300 bucks a DVD to update it (2011 onwards SDS card)
and the cheek is, if the unit needs a software update, due to programme faults, that's how they put it out to the customer.

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 10-05-2010, 07:28 AM

i *hate* car mfr's navs for those reasons.
i had bought a cheap tomtom for my previous cars for $90. it had every feature on my bimmer and more, for under $100, but my wife wanted a bigger screen. i gave the tomtom to my daughter, bought the magellan that my wife wanted. good nav, lousy mounting bracket.
then one of our cars got tboned, and we decided to sell both.
we now have a new A4 (no nav), and a 2009 executive 3281i - great price - (we insisted on a car with folding back seat and bixenon, which meant the only thing available in the region included nav). the bimmer nav is worse than the magellan or the tomtom. and i cant really ask my daughter to swap *again* for the tomtom.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 AM
UK (ex-Pat)

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0d M pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_hyman View Post
i *hate* car mfr's navs for those reasons.
i had bought a cheap tomtom for my previous cars for $90. it had every feature on my bimmer and more, for under $100, but my wife wanted a bigger screen. i gave the tomtom to my daughter, bought the magellan that my wife wanted. good nav, lousy mounting bracket.
then one of our cars got tboned, and we decided to sell both.
we now have a new A4 (no nav), and a 2009 executive 3281i - great price - (we insisted on a car with folding back seat and bixenon, which meant the only thing available in the region included nav). the bimmer nav is worse than the magellan or the tomtom. and i cant really ask my daughter to swap *again* for the tomtom.
I'm sure your Daughter won't mind swapping the TomTom for the X5 .....

2010 X5 30d M Sport pack on 20 inch
In Space Grey, Panoramic roof, auto tailgate,
Privacy Glass, Comfort seats in Black?
Rear view camera
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 AM
Casual Fan

The map database vendor is Navteq.

And I don't agree with the blanket statement about OEMs and Nav. I drive Infiniti's and their Nav is superb, just as good as anything aftermarket but nicely integrated with everything in the dash. The Japanese do electronics well, the Germans don't.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havelcek View Post
The map database vendor is Navteq.

And I don't agree with the blanket statement about OEMs and Nav. I drive Infiniti's and their Nav is superb, just as good as anything aftermarket but nicely integrated with everything in the dash. The Japanese do electronics well, the Germans don't.
I totally agree. Lexus and infinity have really accurate user-friendly systems. However, with that being said, driving dynamics is still higher on my list.

To the OP, great use of "crazy Ivan" that made me laugh.

2007 BMW 335i Sedan - Sport Pack
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Casual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero View Post
I totally agree. Lexus and infinity have really accurate user-friendly systems. However, with that being said, driving dynamics is still higher on my list.

To the OP, great use of "crazy Ivan" that made me laugh.
Yea that's why we have an Infiniti and a BMW, gives a good mix of car experience.