Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Convertible
Flat Tire Sensor on 2006 Weird-Fender Whipped?

So my wife calls me this afternoon and says the flat tire alarm has gone off but she doesn't see a flat. She parks it untill I get there. It's glowing red, not orange. I check pressure in all four tires. It appears that 5-6 months ago, the local dealer lowered my tire pressures from te max recommended on the sidewall (where I keep them), to 30 lbs in each tire. Whatever. We drove 8 miles on home.

Here's the weird part, the right front fender lip looks like the tire has spun something on several rotations and it "whipped" the paint around the fender lip pretty good. I hope it buffs out. There'sno marks on the outer sidewall of the tire or tread. I haven't had time to look under it yet, but I'm wondering: Is it possible the flat tire sensor somehow got whipped around the outer tire and beat the snot out of the fender then got gone? I know this sounds nuts, but I don't know how it works and that tire/wheel whipped that fender with something.

Anybody able to offer any pointers?
Ads by Google
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM
you are a long time dead

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 SMG vert
there is no pressure sensor in the strictest sense...it is an ABS related sensor that detects a different rotation of a wheel that suggests that the tire is under inflated....it can be triggered by a real low tire or by driving over a pothole or similar road hazard. The marks on the bodywork are not related to this...
Old 06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Inflating your tires to max pressure is NOT a good idea. Go by the tire inflation guide on the sticker in the door jamb.