Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-02-2008, 04:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Take a Guess..
Wierd Leak On My 96' 328i......................Please Help

Ok, so I might be overeacting, but I thought I would ask anyways.

After I wash my car, and even after all the ground is dry, hours later I will get this pool of water right under where my engine is, only there, no where else. I check the expansions tank, and it doesn't look like I lost any coolant, and the pool seems to be clear and doesn't have any smell to it so I think its water, but I dont know why it leaks right under the motor?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 AM
vek-mw

Send a message via AIM to bboyvek Send a message via MSN to bboyvek
Mein Auto: 1995 bmw 325i
100% common. ur water pump fail on u. weird ur coolant level isnt dropping tho, yet ur pump is the culprit.
Criminal Law Attorney Carrboro
Costum Web Applications Web Design
Clasificados Empleos Ventas
Landscaping
Old 04-02-2008, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboyvek View Post
100% common. ur water pump fail on u. weird ur coolant level isnt dropping tho, yet ur pump is the culprit.

Right, thats what I thought aswell, but the thing is that I dont overheat, and the water level isn't dropping, the water pump doesn't chirp or make wierd noise, and there just isn't any other symptoms of it being anything to do with my cooling system.

Did you read my whole post?

I THINK its something to do with washing my car, but I dont see why it would be hours later, and specifically under the engine part of the car.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 323i
maybe water is getting under your hood and slowly dripping down later... say if its been bumped or maybe just taking a while to go all the way down to the ground
Old 04-02-2008, 06:24 AM

^^Hopefully thats the case, becuase Im clueless as to what else it could be if its not in the cooling system?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i Sedan
Does the liquid have a color or smell to it?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:36 AM

hmm put something in the water when you wash it ... like water soluable dye (make sure it comes off before you try it.... dont want to stain your paint or something similar) then wash you car and see if its the same color under the car.... tho better off using something else but i guess the concept stands
Old 04-02-2008, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_328i View Post
Does the liquid have a color or smell to it?
Neither, I cant see a color, and I cant smell it, I dipped my finger in it and I couldn't smell nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
hmm put something in the water when you wash it ... like water soluable dye (make sure it comes off before you try it.... dont want to stain your paint or something similar) then wash you car and see if its the same color under the car.... tho better off using something else but i guess the concept stands
Ehh...Good idea, but im too scared it would stain the paint, I dont want to take the risk.

Im concerned, its really bothering me. I guess I just need to wait today, and see if there is going to be another puddle, and theres no way it would be the same water from the wash, if it happens again, then I have a leak somewhere.

But either way, its really strange because it was a pretty decent size puddle, like 1ft. in diameter circle
Old 04-02-2008, 06:43 AM

checked the washer fluid? could be that... had that prob with my car
Old 04-02-2008, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36m34life View Post
Neither, I cant see a color, and I cant smell it, I dipped my finger in it and I couldn't smell nothing.

If it has no color and you can't smell anything I wouldn't be concerned. If it isn't water the only thing it could possibly be is either coolant or washer fluid and both of these are identifiable by color
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 AM

put a cup or pan under the spot where its dripping from and see if theres any color to the liquid and that way you can tell what color it is or if its clear.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I will try doing the cup thing, to make sure its clear water.

Oh, and I dont have a washer fluid tank, I threw it out to install the HID ballast.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 AM

**Update

Ok, so heres the scenario.....

Yesterday, about 11am I washed and dried the car by hand at home, it was a sunny day.

About 9:30Pm, I go to leave to work, and as im backing out, I noticed a puddle of liquid right under where my engine would be. So I get out, and check the liquid with my fingers and a smell test, it appears to be clear and odorless. The rest of the driveway is dry, just the puddle.

**This is where my original post belongs

So the car sits in the parking lot of my work from 11pm to about 7am, I drive out hoping that I wont see another puddle.........and................................ ...............

(Oh the suspense)

(Do you really care enough to continue?)

(What are you doing on these boards, go do something productive)

THERE WAS NO PUDDLE! Not one drip! Woohooo, no leak afterall, just for some reason water from the wash decided to form a puddle right underneath the motor? Oh, and the coolant level is up to par, didn't go down.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
On an E46 - Water in the cabin filter drain pan (opens through top of hood by firewall) slowly draining out overnight? Clogged there or on the winshield drains making for slow drainage?

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts."
Old 04-24-2008, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: e36 323 convertable
I thought it was pretty obvious it was the water which you wash the car with since its only their when you wash the car no?