Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-05-2008, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 530i
530i seat lower on left side than right

I just recently purchased a 2002 530i and after bringing it home noticed the drivers seat is lower on the left side than the right. This is particularly noticeable from the back seat. When I run the seat back and forth it performs perfectly normal other than the fact that it is angled funny. Is there any way to adjust this without taking it to a dealer?
Ads by Google
Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Ivan

Send a message via MSN to jieg
Mein Auto: 525i 2003
i have similar problems, moving the seat back and forth up and down works fine

however, when I change the inclination of the driver seat back rest part, only the left part (half) moves while the right stays unchanged and does not move at all

so if I change the inclination the seat looks funny, as you say angled;

i will take it to a guy with an upholstery shop to see what is wrong with it, i do not want to buy the whole seat. I think some mechanical part is damaged.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530I
Its called seat twist and it is common to our cars. I had both seats fail at the same time. The stealership will charge you approx 3 hours time per seat + parts. What happens is the cable that is used in the seat to move it stretches. The seat has to be taken out, the cable removed and trimmed or replaced and reinstalled in the motor. It is time consuming but usually does not require any new parts. I called around and found an upholstery shop that worked on high end cars, they were quite familiar with it and cost 50% less than even my indy. There is a DIY posted on Bimmer tips and tricks if you are inclined to do it yourself. Search "seat twist" and you will find all sorts of information.