Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4m roadster, E90 320d
Z4m Swap M3 V8

Since it is hard to get high powers without problems or low cost i said why dont we have a better engine ?

New m3's engine is also 15 kg lighter than s54 it wont have a bad effect and we can still use our transmission diff and the car would not have problems with 450 hp Na engine...

How much would it cost ?

New engine ?
New Ecu ?
Exaust system?
Labour ???
Clutch?
bigger rear tires

of corse it would cost more than FI s54 but you would be sure that it wont have any problems....

or should be swap 2jz
Ads by Google
Old 04-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
It would be easy enough to physically do the swap, but the software would be a nightmare (just ask Clint...).

I wouldn't even consider the BMW DME; stand-alone all the way, but what are the chances the aftermarket is already geared up to support the new engine? You'd be so much better off (and with greater support and especially hp potential) to use a sbc.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 AM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
How easy would it be to get your hands on a new M3 engine? Seems like you'd have to buy a car and then swap it, or pay $$$ for a race engine...seems kinda pointless right now.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
You'd probably be better off getting a crate LS6 with a T56 transmission and installing those.

Or better yet, selling the MZ4 and getting a more powerful car. Much less work, much faster results. I'm sure there's a few used Gallardos and the like in your neck of the woods. Probably cost the same as pioneering an MZ4 engine swap.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzax View Post
You'd probably be better off getting a crate LS6 with a T56 transmission and installing those.

Or better yet, selling the MZ4 and getting a more powerful car. Much less work, much faster results. I'm sure there's a few used Gallardos and the like in your neck of the woods. Probably cost the same as pioneering an MZ4 engine swap.

its really expensive in Turkey when engine cc gets higher taxes are really high... thanks
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
How easy would it be to get your hands on a new M3 engine? Seems like you'd have to buy a car and then swap it, or pay $$$ for a race engine...seems kinda pointless right now.

yea i have been thinking if i am going to swap the engine it should be at least 500 hp to worth but new m3 s engine is not just capable of 450 go easy it also wheighs 15 kg less than s54 and it can rev up to 8300rpm and it is better looking when you put bmw engine and it would be a nice project car also ...

do you have suggestions for engines ? what would be the problem changng the engine 1st one is wheater we have room in hood right ? what else should be considered
Old 04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
TC Kline was going to be doing that very swap. I don't know if he ever did. For the $20k+ that the new V8 will cost a 435hp S54 race motor would make more sense, I think. You wouldn't have to swap out as many non-engine components with another S54. Or, if you're already willing to spend that much, get an S62 and you'll have a TON more torque than the new M3 and similar HP. Dinanize it and you will have 470 HP, but you'll spend more on the engine swap than you did on the car.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion@BMS View Post
TC Kline was going to be doing that very swap. I don't know if he ever did. For the $20k+ that the new V8 will cost a 435hp S54 race motor would make more sense, I think. You wouldn't have to swap out as many non-engine components with another S54. Or, if you're already willing to spend that much, get an S62 and you'll have a TON more torque than the new M3 and similar HP. Dinanize it and you will have 470 HP, but you'll spend more on the engine swap than you did on the car.
Thanks, i know we can get 500+ hp with supercharger but the problem is i dont want any problems i can work and give my time for 2 months but after that i want a peacefull and healty engine that i can use everyday thats why i am willing to pay at least 1/4 more for driving without worries and problems ...

i am not planing to sell this car and buy a used 996 tt and change turbos vs its not about that i dont like second hand cars and its not about going 1/4 mile in xx seconds its about creating a speacial unique car and doing it yourself ...

is it hard to fit the new m3 engine we have plenty of space right ?? would the gearbox work fine with new m3 engine...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by basar13 View Post
Thanks, i know we can get 500+ hp with supercharger but the problem is i dont want any problems i can work and give my time for 2 months but after that i want a peacefull and healty engine that i can use everyday thats why i am willing to pay at least 1/4 more for driving without worries and problems ...

i am not planing to sell this car and buy a used 996 tt and change turbos vs its not about that i dont like second hand cars and its not about going 1/4 mile in xx seconds its about creating a speacial unique car and doing it yourself ...

is it hard to fit the new m3 engine we have plenty of space right ?? would the gearbox work fine with new m3 engine...
-I wouldn't worry about the engine bay room or the tranny. If the S62 fits, then the new M3's v8 (what is its designation guys?) will fit. It doesn't produce a ton more torque than the S54, less than any of the blown S54s, so I would think the tranny would be ok. But it will be VERY expensive to buy the engine and get it to run with all the BMW electronics.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM

so the answer is it depends on the cost it is not a hard deal...

i still dont know what to do..

option a: csl airbox header exhaust cams ....

b: Supercharger

c:swap

so i will spend money on other performance parts handling vs and trying to make car lighter then 1 year later i hope i will make the decision...

or if i still cant decide what to do than gtr body kit is on order

Last edited by basar13; 04-08-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
I doubt the xmsn bellhousing pattern will match the V8 block; it's made for a canted over inline-6. Consider starter location too.

Swaps are always easier if (at the very least) the xmsn matches the engine.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 PM
///M

Mein Auto: 07 M Coupe
Why are we limiting ourselves to the M3 V8. Hell drop the M5/6 V10 motor in there...

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website in the History of the Internet!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: M3 2006 (on order)
Aasc

I like my AASC and 461 WHP... seems to do the job

///Z3M
PhoenixYellow::BlackLeather::5mt
AASC 550bhp : Upgrade List and Pictures

Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Calvinball Professional

Mein Auto: '07 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerDevil View Post
I like my AASC and 461 WHP... seems to do the job
But since the S54 in the E85 has a different ECU/DME than your E46, we're SOL with the AASC.

2007 Z4 M Roadster Sepang/Sepang-X/Black, Premium, Nav, BMW Strut Bar, Stubby Antenna, Dice, UUC clutch stop, Star Specs, and the rest joyfully stock.

Last edited by Zuzax; 04-09-2008 at 07:15 AM. Reason: WTF
Old 04-09-2008, 07:52 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
What you need is the 4 liter sealed motorsports engine from the old M3 V8 GTR.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire View Post
What you need is the 4 liter sealed motorsports engine from the old M3 V8 GTR.

what would be benefits of this vs e92 m3 engine?

i want to swap because i dont want trouble with high tuned engine and i guess a race engine would be more trouble...

my point is to have higher hp with less trouble .. I would rather to SC my s54 than buying a race engine... am i wrong or is the gtr v8 would be less trouble and driveablilty
Old 04-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammmittt View Post
Why are we limiting ourselves to the M3 V8. Hell drop the M5/6 V10 motor in there...
-The V10 would add a lot of weight to the front and would throw off the balance of the car. And you'd have to run much softer rear springs to hook up that much power. This would increase understeer, compounded with the added front weight.

-The GTR race motor would be a good fit power-wise, but may not be reliable enough for the street. And it will be the most expensive option.
-The S62 would be plenty powerful and reliable. Also expensive and would incur added cost for installation.
-The E92's v8 would be a good weight and torque curve for the car. It should be reliable, but none of us know yet as the car is brand new. It will be horribly expensive to buy and to get working.
-An enduro S54 would probably be plenty reliable for daily driving, but will be pretty expensive too. Probably the cheapest engine option to install and get fired up.
-FI is the cheapest way to add power, but will also add front weight and reduce throttle response.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 AM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
The GTR Motor doesnt have to be reliable. You can only lease them. And on top of that, you can't work on them. They are "sealed" by BMW Motorsport so your not supposed to look inside.

However, I can only imagine that you could get several Z4s for the price of the GTR motor lease.
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion@BMS View Post
-The V10 would add a lot of weight to the front and would throw off the balance of the car. And you'd have to run much softer rear springs to hook up that much power. This would increase understeer, compounded with the added front weight.

-The GTR race motor would be a good fit power-wise, but may not be reliable enough for the street. And it will be the most expensive option.
-The S62 would be plenty powerful and reliable. Also expensive and would incur added cost for installation.
-The E92's v8 would be a good weight and torque curve for the car. It should be reliable, but none of us know yet as the car is brand new. It will be horribly expensive to buy and to get working.
-An enduro S54 would probably be plenty reliable for daily driving, but will be pretty expensive too. Probably the cheapest engine option to install and get fired up.
-FI is the cheapest way to add power, but will also add front weight and reduce throttle response.

Thanks nice post...

so i guess the two best options are...

1) e92's v8
2) FI

i have a friend here he has e46 330ci he can buy my s54....

i will continue to make the car lighter and i need coilovers lighter brakes new wheels ... either case i will need a lighter car...

i will make a research how much would cost to swap an e92 m3 engine, ecu vs because it all depends on the price...