Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E36 316 Coupe
Total overhaul of an E36 soft touch. ALL INPUTS ARE VALUED!

Hi there guys, hope you're all doing very well. I've been away for quite a while due to work problems and family matters and just logged back on after a long long time.

Ok, I bought an E36 316i last october, loving it so far BUT have had a few problems with it. Change the MAF sensor and to me personally, it seems the cable that connects to the MAF sensor, also has 2 more cables coming out of one thick loom and ALL the 3 wires coming out of the loom are TOTALLY MASHED, which I'm hoping is the cause of my engine constantly dieing at idle. However, am not too worried about that right now.

I bought the car 'cos of its great looks and it drove perfect back then, but I really want some more kick and have set my eyes badly on either a 320 or a 323, but looks like a 320'll be the best suited. Now I could sell my existing one and buy a 320, OR as i was thinking, I could hang onto it, buy a mashed up 320 and swap out all the insides. Engine, tranny and the lot. I know it'll be quite costly but seeing that I'll be spending the money on a 320 anyway, would it not be better to keep my great body condition 316i shell?

Ok, now's the confusing part, and where I'm caught in 2 minds. In the last para, i wrote about swapping out the whole lot from a 320 and into a 316, now, when i think about it, 316 were not made for big engines, so if i was to cramp in the 320,. is there not a likehood that the chassis may struggle when being driven at the faster/harder speed and the more drastic handling? I've only driven a 320 a few times but LOVE the kick compared to the so tame 316 that i've got.

I've got a brand new set of 18x8's sitting in my living room (hey, i live in UK in a flat, no garden or garage )and also got a great momo steering wheel that i love and lots of other bits, but am kinda reluctant to stick it all onto the 316 right now. and yes, I have thought about an M3 and would love to get one but due to being 22 and with only 1 year's NCB, am not in the best of positions, lol.

Well, that's the lot guys. so any inputs will be hugely appreciated. I love my car but the lack of power's REALLY annoying me, its like an achilles heel really. so please help!!!!

thanks a lot in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 325i
I'd say ditch the hatch, and get a 32X
X=0/3/5/8

not a fan of the 316 just looks like it's been hit in rear. I think you would be happy in the long term doing up the newer car.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM

Mate my 316i is a coupe, not a hatch if i'm not mistaken. It looks just like any other 3 series coupe, its not a compact, I can't see myself driving one of those 'cos of that odd looking rear, just not a BMW to me from the back that car. Anywayz, mine looks great and i have no problems with that, but the actual life of the car's WAAAAAAAY too small. I open the bonnet of a 320 or even a 318 for that matter, and my eyes feel soooo soothed seeing that block engine cover and it LOOKS like a big car, but with my one, crappy old engine that would'nt look too outta place on a Civic without the BMW badge, lol. Cheers for the input btw!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Different markets got different versions of cars. IE, America never even got a 316 or 320.

Anyway, King, the chassis will be identical in all 3 series coupes, except the M3. And with a 2 liter engine.....I don't think you'll need to worry about breaking anything!

It seems to me like you'll be doing a lot of work for nothing swapping it, though. I'd just hold out for a good condition 328i....errr, 320i. Lol. I mean, your car runs OK, so its not like a rush. But if you really are attached to your chassis, a swap will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 04-10-2008, 02:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 325i
sorry King in oz I belive we only got the 316 in the hatch, thus my bad....
well then keep your car and grab a larger motor 4sure. I saw a 316 hatch with a 6cyl in it not long ago. Tight but it fitted.
Excuse the insult I threw your way earlier too......

Still be a better option to get a 325 or 328 causes it has it all done already.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:43 PM

Hey guys really appreciate the advice. and Playz, no problemo dude, I know it can be a pain when the same car (well, with same 'name') is being sold in different parts of the world with different looks, lol.

And Phantom, thanks for the advice bout keeping the shell as i like it so much. Well, I know this is a techie question but thought might ask here incase any of you know. I recently changed my MAF sensor and still had severe problems with the engine. Now HERE is the main problem. When I bought the car, was in great nick (or so I thought), thrashed it twice, engine started dieing (it had been sitting for over 5 months b4 i bought it), so I changed coil, HT leads and MAF sensor. Funnily enough, the mechanic by mistake left a cable unplugged in a really weird bit. THIS i think is the problem. Basically, I find it very hard to explain this cable. You see the MAF Sensor, it has a cable connected to it, which u can unscrew n take off to make the car run in the limp mode, right? Well, THIS VERY CABLE, if u follow, goes into a little bit of a bigger cable which has two more cables coming out of it. Now I'm no genius with cars but I'm somewhat sure that these cables have something to do with delivering air to parts of my engine, and two of these wires were TOTALLY SQUEEZED SHUT (if u can picture it!) I tried rubbing the lines between fingers and partially freed it up a bit, but it felt the life of these cables has been totally diminished. I just want to know if anyone knows the NAME of these cables so i can buy it, i'm more than sure right now that seems to be my only problem.

Gotta say, eventhough its giving me all these problems, but the class of a BM is just way ahead of the likes of Honda ( I love hondas too due to speed n customisation options) but this is just a REAL car where as hondas are wicked for sprinting around. Am sure u all will agree!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:54 AM

Ok quick update, the 'cables' that I needed the names for are... ENGINE LOOM! lol, felt like a right twat when the mechanic just smiled n said "its gnna be a hell of a job changing that, its the engine loom".

Anywayz, seems like my temperature gauge might have had it, so gonna check that next as it overheats a lot aswell. He has also advised me to clean inside a part with a 'butterfly-like' device so once that's done, i'll get back to you guys.