Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-11-2008, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i
When i went to get a car wash, I pulled into the self service thing and then i walked up to the guy who is working there... he was by a car on the side street buying weed from some guy haha and he already looked high as it was so don't take advice from those guys!
Unless its express wash n lube because when you get an oil change they will tell you if they find something wrong with it... in my case the oil pan leaks, the rear main seal or something like that is leaking, and some gaskets. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!
Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e36 328i & e30 325i
So I took the car in to a certified Bmw mechanics' house .
He ran the codes checked everything out ,said that I need a new water pump since it makes some "ding ding " noises ,new spark plugs, lots of new sensors and new heater I think.

He'll charge me only 40$ for labor ..its good right ?

Im bummed since I only have 300$ right now .

Oh and also I met some guy with a civic ex 1998 in a Dmv he offered to trade the cars with me ,hes starts with remote control ()..

What do you guys think is it worth fixing the car or should I just change the title ,dump it and get another e36 ?
Old 04-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbuddy View Post
When i went to get a car wash, I pulled into the self service thing and then i walked up to the guy who is working there... he was by a car on the side street buying weed from some guy haha and he already looked high as it was so don't take advice from those guys!
Unless its express wash n lube because when you get an oil change they will tell you if they find something wrong with it... in my case the oil pan leaks, the rear main seal or something like that is leaking, and some gaskets. AHHHHHH!!!!!!!
The guy who gave me advice ,looked sooo high too ..
Old 04-12-2008, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325i
haha wow lol just yesterday I had my windshield replaced they cracked that stuff to hell so today I went out and bought some black silicon and filled the cracks.

My car also had the break light circuit thing come up I just replaced the lights and it went away.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman-O View Post
So I took the car in to a certified Bmw mechanics' house .
He ran the codes checked everything out ,said that I need a new water pump since it makes some "ding ding " noises ,new spark plugs, lots of new sensors and new heater I think.

He'll charge me only 40$ for labor ..its good right ?

Im bummed since I only have 300$ right now .

Oh and also I met some guy with a civic ex 1998 in a Dmv he offered to trade the cars with me ,hes starts with remote control ()..

What do you guys think is it worth fixing the car or should I just change the title ,dump it and get another e36 ?

Yeah $40 is not bad. Just going to the dealership here cost me $120 to have them look at something just to see whats wrong. Needless to say I found a local certified mechanic and he charges $70 an hour for labor but it beats the dealership.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifespent View Post
Yeah $40 is not bad. Just going to the dealership here cost me $120 to have them look at something just to see whats wrong. Needless to say I found a local certified mechanic and he charges $70 an hour for labor but it beats the dealership.
Man my mechanic didnt charge me nothing for a check up ..really nice guy ,seemed sincere too .
Im happy I found him .

But I guess that "crack" and "brake circuit " thing is common problems.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:14 PM

So today I replaced spark plugs(100k miles long life ones), water pump and that "rubber" by the windshield .
Pics coming as soon as I get out of car wash .
Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: '91 325i
I, too, had the rubber gasket rot-out. I always saw it there, the car never got wet inside, nor did I think it was all that important. =) However, I was driving down the freeway at about 80-85 mph and the windshield lifted OFF the car. Just about a cm, or so, but enough so that I could see sky! It was disturbing to say the least. I did take some time getting it fixed, since I drive about 40 mph to work. I had a glass replacement company come out to the house and re-glue the windshield in to place, and replace rubber gasket. It ran me $80, and was much cheaper than the dealer.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 AM

I had to wake up at 7am today, because of the street sweepers, took couple of shots..