Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 AM
Ancient Member

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
*sigh* window problems

So, it all began with me rolling my window down on my driverside with the door shut, loud POP, window falls down.

I pull off my door panel to find broken sliders. I then find that one of my regulators arms has also broken off, presumably
when the window fell. Now were getting somewhere, I replace both sliders, as well as the regulator, lube everything up
& viola everything is working great... for a few minutes anyhow, then I get the inch up, inch down behavior, I do everything
I can find to "reset" the windows, including pulling the ground for a few hours, key turn & window switch presses.
Still, nothing seems to cure this, I pick up some lube that is apparently similar to the newly discontinued Gummi.
I lube up all of the side rails, seems to make no difference whatsoever.

Now, we are at the present. My window eventually after a few days completely stopped moving up or down, after
trying, trying & trying some more, I was eventually able to button press & push on the window to at least get it up,
minus the automatic sealing. My window will not move it will click, but will not budge, it has been about 1 month
since this all started, I've found that maybe 2-3 times since this has happened I will close my door, and my window
will seal, I originally sprayed the regulator in almost entirety with white lithium grease, that hasn't seemed to make
much of a difference. I will note, to my surprise it seems as the cam gear on the regulator assembly is rubbing &
scratching as it was moving with something behind the plate on over the cam, possibly the gears from the motor?
Anyhow I wanted to ask & hopefully someone has experienced this themselves before I go about tearing the door
down again. Sorry for the lengthy read, but hopefully it'll make someones day go by a little quicker while browsing at
work and the like!

Thanks!

EDIT: So, after battling this window for this past weekend, I was able to remove the motor off of the brand new regulator, clean it out & re-test. I have seen where all sorts of users have the black peice on the plastic cam that is busted, well, mine wasn't. After cleaning the junk out of the motor it would go halfway up & get stuck & not go any farther, it would go down, then I would go back up.. eventually it would not go up or down, thus I started moving the window with the motor cover off so I could see what was happening, it looks like the threaded rod is getting stuck on the heavily lubricated plastic cam gear, any ideas?

EDIT: So, the regulator doesn't stop when it isn't attached to the window itself, only when its properly seated in the door, clamps in the window.
I had tryed lubing the side rails, now it seems like the window will go down fine, but gets stuck going up at any time, any ideas from anyone?
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2008, 01:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 323i
hmm maybe over lubings causing it to attract gumk or maybe causing the motor to jam/stick etc... clean it and use less lube maybe?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Ancient Member

Tryed it.. :\
Old 04-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Ancient Member

Any ideas anyone?
Old 04-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Chad...
Mein Auto: 1992 325i 5-speed sedan
maybe its out of alignment? also try cleaning the inside of the seals, my friend spilled a soda on my window and then rolled it down to clean it off, pulling soda between the window and seal, causing it to stick. This caused my window to do what your describing, clicked but only moved ever so slightly. These are long shots but idk, every tip helps when your in a bind.