Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36, Imola ZHP
100 Watt fogs

hey guys im just wondering if any one has put 100 watt bulbs in your fogs. i would like to do this but i dont see the point if im gonna start blowing a fuse every time i use them so if any one has had any success please let me know. thanks!

SYNracing Inc.
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2008, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: .
Why don't you change to a bigger fuse then?
- Frank Rizzo
Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 AM
The Dakar Dream

Mein Auto: bmw compact 2000 e36
And the replace the wiring through out as its not built to carry that much and will catch fire!!
18" MV Alloys. AC Schnitzer exhaust. CCFL Angel eyes. 6500K HID's. Rogue Engineering RSM's. EBC Turbo discs and Greenstuff Pads. Retro fit dimming mirror. M style indicator wing mirrors. Carbon Fibre GT splitter. Carbon kidneys grills. Alpine IDA-X001 Ipod headunit. M3 leather gaitors. M pedals. Illuminated M gearshift. Reiger rear spoiler. Shark fin.
www.forum.edirty6.com
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM

So the point against using a 100W bulb is that the wiring won't support it, not that the fuse won't (that's as simple to fix as it comes).
- Frank Rizzo
Old 04-20-2008, 09:50 AM

ok so your saying i cant and shouldnt put a 100 watt bulb in? correct?

SYNracing Inc.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ioc View Post
ok so your saying i cant and shouldnt put a 100 watt bulb in? correct?
Correction.
You can, but probably shouldn't.
- Frank Rizzo
Old 04-20-2008, 12:54 PM
The Dakar Dream

Mein Auto: bmw compact 2000 e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile View Post
Correction.
You can, but probably shouldn't.
Couldn't have worded it better if I tried!!
18" MV Alloys. AC Schnitzer exhaust. CCFL Angel eyes. 6500K HID's. Rogue Engineering RSM's. EBC Turbo discs and Greenstuff Pads. Retro fit dimming mirror. M style indicator wing mirrors. Carbon Fibre GT splitter. Carbon kidneys grills. Alpine IDA-X001 Ipod headunit. M3 leather gaitors. M pedals. Illuminated M gearshift. Reiger rear spoiler. Shark fin.
www.forum.edirty6.com
Old 04-20-2008, 01:50 PM

ok thanks guys!!

SYNracing Inc.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 95 325is
he's gonna try it
Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328ioc View Post
ok thanks guys!!
Hope is not all lost.
Since you played nice, here's a tip for ya.
I can recommend these. They do work as advertised, but don't expect them to be as bright as a 100W bulb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOSHI...QQcmdZViewItem
- Frank Rizzo
Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 323i
get one of those bulbs which is rated normal but gives a boosted output ie for my headlights i have 55w-->110w
Old 04-21-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
get one of those bulbs which is rated normal but gives a boosted output ie for my headlights i have 55w-->110w
You're wasting your money.
Think about it... where does the boost in power come from, if not from the wires? Bulbs don't create energy in itself.
- Frank Rizzo
Old 04-21-2008, 05:13 AM

thought they worked like those energy saver bulbs which boost the power from like 20w to 100 in the household
Old 04-21-2008, 12:27 PM

yep im an idiot guys i totally forgot to include a semi large piece of info. i have aftermarket fog so they use a H3 bulb so thanks anyway Boile but that ebay find wont help. ill just stick with the 55 watt bulbs its no biggie i was just wondering if it could be done with out having to do anything more than changing the bulbs. thanks again guys!!

SYNracing Inc.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
thought they worked like those energy saver bulbs which boost the power from like 20w to 100 in the household
Compact fluorescent and incandescent filament bulbs are two very different technologies.
HID uses only 35W but put out more light than 65W halogens incandescents. But they're not interchangeable.
55W = 110W using the same technology is just pure marketing
- Frank Rizzo

Last edited by Boile; 04-21-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Compact fluorescent and incandescent filament bulbs are two very different technologies.
HID uses only 35W but put out more light than 65W halogens incandescents. But they're not interchangeable.
55W = 110W using the same technology is just pure marketing
ok thanks man
Old 04-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.

Mein Auto: Bostongrόn 1995 320i
+1

These lamps still appear to use a tungsten halogen filament. They will almost certainly put out the same light flux.

Quote:
This coating (a titania/silica, zinc oxide/silica, zirconia/silica, silicon nitride/silica, and titania/magnesium fluoride tantalam/silica multi-layer dielectric, according to the patent) reflects a portion of the infrared energy emitted by the filament back onto the filament, causing it to glow brighter and emit more light from the uncoated forward portion of the bulb. Although the filament gets hotter, the glass does not.
Sounds dodgey to me. And way to much "personal testimonial" to be believable.

"The Reclinermobile" - 1995 320i Boston Green
A word on our sponsors: Iridium sparks thanks to NGK. Wheels will shortly be dressed once again by Yokohama C-Drive. Road is lit by Eagle-Eye 6000K HID, supplemented by 7000K CCFL Angel eyes. HB/Fog have selected to go with Philips 4000K BlueVision. Engine parts choose to slip with Castrol's 20-50 GTX2 dinosaur slime, renewed every 10,000km.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
+1

These lamps still appear to use a tungsten halogen filament. They will almost certainly put out the same light flux.

Sounds dodgey to me. And way to much "personal testimonial" to be believable.
You're referring to the HIRs that I mentioned above.
You seem not to understand the technical advantage that's described in what you quoted. Some energy is lost in the form of heat. HIRs capture that heat and put it back into the filament. There's no hocus pocus magic 55W=110W. Just capturing wasted energy and turning it back into light.
I have them installed in my car. I replaced one side with HIR and left the other OEM. I can certainly tell you that they are brighter than the factory halogens. I am in no way associated with the manufacturer nor the seller.
I read about them in an issue of Roundel magazine. There was certainly no personal testimonial there. The author of that article did a comprehensive and scientific test of several bulbs available in the market at the time, including the PIAA 55W=110W and others. His test methodology seemed good enough for me. His recommendations was HIR as the only one that worked. All the others were a waste of money.

This topic has been discussed here plenty. Search the forum with keyword HIR. You may even find some posts by that author of the Roundel magazine.
- Frank Rizzo

Last edited by Boile; 04-22-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Monacoblau mit beige

Mein Auto: '07 E92 330i Manual
Surely it will just create a positive feedback loop and blow itself out? IR is reflected back into the filament which heats it up and it glows brighter, bulb emits more IR, reflected back, bulb gets even hotter and goes 'nuclear'.

It should be noted I haven't read up on HIRs yet.

What is the point of having brighter than normal bulbs anyway? Oh to blind oncoming traffic, ok I understand now.

18" alloys - Sport seats - "Professional" Navigation - Bluetooth - DAB tuner - Extended interior light package - PDC
Heated front seats - Beige Dakota leather - Dark grey poplar trim - Anthracite headliner - Advanced loudspeaker system

Old 04-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
You're referring to the HIRs that I mentioned above.
You seem not to understand the technical advantage that's described in what you quoted. Some energy is lost in the form of heat. HIRs capture that heat and put it back into the filament. There's no hocus pocus magic 55W=110W. Just capturing wasted energy and turning it back into light.
I have them installed in my car. I replaced one side with HIR and left the other OEM. I can certainly tell you that they are brighter than the factory halogens. I am in no way associated with the manufacturer nor the seller.
I read about them in an issue of Roundel magazine. There was certainly no personal testimonial there. The author of that article did a comprehensive and scientific test of several bulbs available in the market at the time, including the PIAA 55W=110W and others. His test methodology seemed good enough for me. His recommendations was HIR as the only one that worked. All the others were a waste of money.

This topic has been discussed here plenty. Search the forum with keyword HIR. You may even find some posts by that author of the Roundel magazine.
think thats the type i was talking about