Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1993 BMW 325is
Unhappy Keep blowing fuse. Please Help.

Hi,
My car keeps blowing the fuse that controls the illumination of the instrument cluster. Oddly, this fuse also controls the front right parking light and the back right tail light. So everytime I replace the fuse and I turn on the lights, it will blow immediately. This is no good for when it is dark, because I can't see how fast I'm going, and also, I could get pulled over for having a tail light out. I've tried pulling the instrument cluster out and checking to see if there was a loose connection or something, but I made no progress. I have been considering buying a replacement instrument cluster, but I would be very irritated to find out once I have bought it that it is not actually the problem.
So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2008, 01:15 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
Check the trunk to trunk lid wiring where it bends most sharply approaching the trunk lid. The wiring inside the rubberized sheath may have split and shorted.

And stop replacing that fuse. You may replace a fuse exactly once to check if it had aged and failed. Thereafter, you find the short before some other, me$$ier thing happens. Good luck!

Last edited by johnf; 04-21-2008 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:58 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
And stop replacing that fuse. You may replace a fuse exactly once to check if it has aged and failed. Thereafter, you find the short before some other, me$$ier thing happens. Good luck!
+1!!! Regardless of what is affected, where the problem may be, etc, a fuse that repeatedly blows means you have a larger problem. You may be lucky so far that the wiring has shorted out something more costly, and if you keep replacing that fuse you're allowing more and more chances to cause more damage. And if you haven't noticed yet, you will soon: BMW's are not one of the cheaper makes to replace things on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 04-23-2008, 06:12 PM

Ok, I will check the wiring there. Thanks for the advice. Now I can save money on fuses too.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: '96 320 cabio auto
I had the same problem not long ago, found out it was a wire going to my headlights
Old 04-24-2008, 03:03 PM

Hmm, I checked the wiring to the trunk lid and it looks undamaged. I will check out the headlights, but I am not having issues with the headlights, so I don't see how that could effect it.