Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Zinnobitch

Send a message via AIM to Soviet1942 Send a message via MSN to Soviet1942 Send a message via Skype™ to Soviet1942
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
AC Resistor Woes - We all know this has been talked about a million times

Disclaimer, YES I did use the search bar.

Okay, I have come to a conclusion that I need to replaced my AC Resistor, thing is how? I have looked in BMW DIY, Google, other forums and haven't really found a write up. I did find ones on how to replace the final stage resistor but I do not have that one.
I read that sometimes cleaning the resistor with a solution as WD-40 could fix this issue, is that true?
I also read on a yahoo forum:

Quote:
....that resistor [OEM e36] is undersized physically in my mind. It gets damn hot. You do not have to use the BMW resistor, the resistance is printed on the side. Buy two other aftermarket resistors that are the same wattage rating but twice the resistance. Wire them in parallel and the resulting resistance will equal the stock value but you will get double the wattage rating. ( WTF?! )They will run cooler and last forever. Heat is the death of electrical devices.
I agree with all that Jim said, with one clarification/addition:
I would suggest finding out why the stockers are burning up and fix that first, and then add the better resistors. Just doing the resistors would eliminate that component as the weakest link, but what would be the next weakest link, and will the high current burn it up now? I suspect (hope) the next weakest link would be the fuse (it is the stock value, right?), but if it were to be the wiring, there is the slight, but nightmarish, chance of a dash fire.
Anyone done that before? That would be a great write up if anyone has done it. I wouldn't mind trying it out but I would first have to know how to replace/clean an OEM resistor .

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Zinnobitch

Send a message via AIM to Soviet1942 Send a message via MSN to Soviet1942 Send a message via Skype™ to Soviet1942
Mein Auto: 1987 325is
http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2008/01/17...fan-speed-diy/

Alright, found a DIY...I think. It explains both in one deal? Is that right?