Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i 'vert
Blinky, the remote top down was a factory option, but remote top up was not. If anyone is interested, I have a Reinhold remote module for sale. PM me for details.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 PM
BruceJ

Mein Auto: Z4 Si, 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky001 View Post
Hello all I have a 2004 z4 with a production date of 09/04 The key will lower the windows and top remotely however I cant get it to raise the top. Am I doing something wrong or was it just not an option. If I put the key in the door and hold it in the lock position it will then raise the roof and windows?? The owners manual says it will work this way by remote but not for me. Anyone got some Ideas.

Also I wanted to give praise to a product I recently used My top was quite faded and not looking good at all. However I found a product from Renovo. With a few hrs of work I was able to re-dye and re-seal my roof it now looks brand new.. If anyone is interested from either http://www.renovointernational.com or if your in the USA www.convertibletoprenew.com

George
You are doing fine. None of the stock factory Z4 E85's can raise the top with the remote. If you re-read the thread you'll see the guys that can used an aftermarket Reinhold Remote Roof Module. A competitor now produces a product that not only gives you the remote key down and up but will give you a one touch capability while inside the car using the console roof buttons. The OTH+remote seems to be pretty trouble free at this point. Bear in mind its a relatively new product but approx 40 plus folks on the forums have purchased and installed. As is natural, if there was a problem, there should have been a complaint. But read and decide for yourself.
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25705

www.gap-tech.co.uk He will ship to the states. I've ordered OTH+remote from him and am currently waiting for it to arrive.

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.
03 330i - Mods: MTechII front Bumper, 125K and rollin!

Last edited by BruceJM; 04-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i 2004 Z4
Excellent Thank you all for the replies.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 ; 2002 Wrangler;
Exclamation the truth

I know this post is as old as sin but, I have a 2003 2.5 and i just coded it to lower and raise the *soft* top via the key fob. all power top z4s have the option. it just needs to be activated.

you can also set it to raise and lower while driving up to 28km/h or 18.64 mph.

...how?

you can code your own car with NCSExpert software and an OBDII cable. I was looking for a way to code the OEM alarm i installed myself and stumbled on to the goodness of coding.

all you need to do is activate these two lines in the cars gm5 module code:

Quote:
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB
>aktiv
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB
>aktiv
Very easy and free. i was willing to pay $300+ to do it before i learned about coding.

now, i'm trying to figure out how to get the top to go up when it is parked and senses rain, also a one-touch roof.

if you live in my area i'll code yours for you for next to nothing and also add any other features you want.

there are so many features baked into our US spec cars that are just disabled because of ridiculous lawsuits and other silly reasons.

i'll post a video later.

Last edited by Cvaria; 01-11-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM

Exclamation proof of the pudding... all your z4's can raise and lower the top from the key fob

***video

No modules. These are standard features built into the car... most modules are snake oil!

I'll add a better on later

Last edited by Cvaria; 01-11-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i Sport
Really? It works on older cars!? Is this option also available?

FH_BEIFAHRERTUER_TIPP_ZU : power window Passenger Door Window Up one touch
Old 01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvaria View Post
***video

No modules. These are standard features built into the car... most modules are snake oil!

I'll add a better on later
Sorry, but you're incorrect. Either your car is not a US build, or someone previously added the module without your knowledge. Remote top closing is very specifically not a feature on US build spec Z4s.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildag View Post
Sorry, but you're incorrect. Either your car is not a US build, or someone previously added the module without your knowledge. Remote top closing is very specifically not a feature on US build spec Z4s.

I'm sorry, i'm not wrong. get an OBDII cable and see for yourself. all the options are just sitting there. actually, you don't even need to go the cable route, just download NCSExpert and NCSDummy and review the GM5 module codes. instead of being a skeptic... just try it. better yet, you're in Reston, VA ... I'll code yours for free, PM me

see also: http://www.bmwcoding.com/

The car is oem, there's been no monkeying around.

vin/vo goodies: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=6

Last edited by Cvaria; 01-11-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
Really? It works on older cars!? Is this option also available?

FH_BEIFAHRERTUER_TIPP_ZU : power window Passenger Door Window Up one touch
Yes, that was the second thing I enabled. i'll add that to the clear video

Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM

I am going to have to figure out this wizardry
Old 01-12-2012, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: Z4,Vehicross,VR4
I had my 03 done last year - Euro coding done at a meet.
Cvaria any chance it was you? The guy did at least 3 or 4 of our groups cars changing different options - though I think mine was the only 03.
Mine won't open the top but will close it and close the windows.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acz4 View Post
I had my 03 done last year - Euro coding done at a meet.
Cvaria any chance it was you? The guy did at least 3 or 4 of our groups cars changing different options - though I think mine was the only 03.
Mine won't open the top but will close it and close the windows.
It wasn't me, but I want your wheels! what are they? they look like the z4m wheels but i cant make them out from the picture.

your "top down" option may have been skipped:
Quote:
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB (down)
>aktiv
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB (up)
>aktiv

Old 01-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Yes, that was the second thing I enabled. i'll add that to the clear video

Here's a clear vid with the top and windows.

added bonus, follow me home lights!
huh?
  • if you turn off your engine before you turn off your lights, the lights stay on for a pre-set period (40 seconds) & then automatically turn off. this is to allow you to find your way to your door in the dark. if you turn off your lights & then your engine, the lights go out straight away as normal.
  • Furthermore, if you have turned the lights and engine off and then pull the lever as if you're flashing the lights they will also come on for 40secs.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:13 AM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
I'm sorry, i'm not wrong. get an OBDII cable and see for yourself. all the options are just sitting there. actually, you don't even need to go the cable route, just download NCSExpert and NCSDummy and review the GM5 module codes. instead of being a skeptic... just try it. better yet, you're in Reston, VA ... I'll code yours for free, PM me

see also: http://www.bmwcoding.com/

The car is oem, there's been no monkeying around.

vin/vo goodies: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...89&postcount=6
Ahh, I didn't catch that you were changing the coding in the car. All I saw was a video of you claiming a US build car had the remote top up/down feature.

So yes, if you change the coding on the car, it looks like it's possible.

So here's a challenge for you, make a How to and a list of all the available non-US coded features.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:27 AM

Smile

Quote:
Ahh, I didn't catch that you were changing the coding in the car. All I saw was a video of you claiming a US build car had the remote top up/down feature.

So yes, if you change the coding on the car, it looks like it's possible.

So here's a challenge for you, make a How to and a list of all the available non-US coded features.
how about no.

Dreamingwell, what is your deal?

I debunk the whole "you can't ________ [insert a thing to do] without a module" thing, share the forum how to do it (via links and all), post videos of working mods, etc. and you come back with the condescending equivalent of "nuh uh, it's not true because I know everything and you know nothing."

I tell you that I'll code your's for free so you can see it for yourself since you live so close, you come back with "Ahh, I didn't catch that you were changing the coding in the car. All I saw was a video of you claiming a US build car had the remote top up/down feature."
Dude, they do! it's just "nicht_aktiv"

coding, for the most part, is not adding to the system... it is toggling preset functions on and off:
"nicht_aktiv" off (not active)
"aktiv" on (active)

This means the features are already in the car's ecu modules just switched off for some of the most ridiculous reasons imaginable (i.e. lawsuit brought by idiotic users)

And to make matters worse, you basically ask me to disambiguate 1903 lines of German language code for your amusement...
seriously? shame on you
Just say, "oh, I was wrong and I didn't know you could do that." nobody is going to laugh at you.

I thought it was impossible too, but after seeing other people do it, I figured there must be a way.
(mute the wacky music)

Get a cable and get to work, no more freebie for you. visit bmwcoding.com for some known coding mods.

caveat(s):

(1) Most of the coders are talking about coding e60's and e90's. these have slightly different modules. the z4 main ecu modules differ. there is a list of modules out there by chassis. I'll try to find it and post it.

(2)Coding can temporarily brick you car if done wrong. (Read: it's dangerous and not to be taken lightly. You will fry S*** if you do dumb stuff)

(3) all coding can and probably will be reversed by the dealer if they are installing new stuff.

(4) cars can be unbricked by reprocessing the car to the VIN & VO/FA factory settings. (Read: the car has a reset button)

Last edited by Cvaria; 01-12-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:47 PM
///M 'n it up!

Quote:
how about no.

Dreamingwell, what is your deal?

I debunk the whole "you can't ________ [insert a thing to do] without a module" thing, share the forum how to do it (via links and all), post videos of working mods, etc. and you come back with the condescending equivalent of "nuh uh, it's not true because I know everything and you know nothing."

I tell you that I'll code your's for free so you can see it for yourself since you live so close, you come back with "Ahh, I didn't catch that you were changing the coding in the car. All I saw was a video of you claiming a US build car had the remote top up/down feature."
Dude, they do! it's just "nicht_aktiv"

coding, for the most part, is not adding to the system... it is toggling preset functions on and off:
"nicht_aktiv" off (not active)
"aktiv" on (active)

This means the features are already in the car's ecu modules just switched off for some of the most ridiculous reasons imaginable (i.e. lawsuit brought by idiotic users)

And to make matters worse, you basically ask me to disambiguate 1903 lines of German language code for your amusement...
seriously? shame on you
Just say, "oh, I was wrong and I didn't know you could do that." nobody is going to laugh at you.

I thought it was impossible too, but after seeing other people do it, I figured there must be a way.
(mute the wacky music)

Get a cable and get to work, no more freebie for you. visit bmwcoding.com for some known coding mods.

caveat(s):

(1) Most of the coders are talking about coding e60's and e90's. these have slightly different modules. the z4 main ecu modules differ. there is a list of modules out there by chassis. I'll try to find it and post it.

(2)Coding can temporarily brick you car if done wrong. (Read: it's dangerous and not to be taken lightly. You will fry S*** if you do dumb stuff)

(3) all coding can and probably will be reversed by the dealer if they are installing new stuff.

(4) cars can be unbricked by reprocessing the car to the VIN & VO/FA factory settings. (Read: the car has a reset button)
Ok, ok... settle down. You're right, I was incorrect.

My challenge was a friendly challenge. It would benefit everyone on the forum if there was a simple one or two page PDF that explained how to do what you've done.

Many people on this forum have done the same for other tasks, and it's always appreciated. I've posted more than a few how-to's, or videos myself.

Last edited by wildag; 01-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Ok, ok... settle down. You're right, I was incorrect.

My challenge was a friendly challenge. It would benefit everyone on the forum if there was a simple one or two page PDF that explained how to do what you've done.

Many people on this forum have done the same for other tasks, and it's always appreciated. I've posted more than a few how-to's, or videos myself.
Okay, I'm sorry.

I don't Have the time to compile something like that but, here's a starter.........

*****Maybe the moderators will let us have a coding forum here. I'm not sure how that would go over with the cite sponsors though. May work out well for some dealers if users nuke their cars.*********

the knowledge base is here:
http://www.bmwcoding.com/
http://bmwcoders.com/
http://www.ecuprogram.com/bmwcoding.html

There are multiple cables:
1998-2007 @ $37

1998-2010 @ $100

1998-current @ $135

Types of software :
too much to list visit the mecca-
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....oding-your-car

System requirements:

most recommend an xp laptop/netbook. I've seen INPA and NCSExpert working on windows 7. Apple... you are on your own.

I used an old hp tc4400 with 2gb of ram and a 60gb hard drive that i bought on ebay for $150 (or $135) just to code with. the little wacom pen and "digitizer" are perfect for coding in the crapped z4.

main modules:

Motherload of info:
http://bit.ly/wRjKYo.... peculiar.

intro type DIY:
NCS_DIY

Coding example:
this is clear in quality and very descriptive - the related videos are not really clear but you can see the before and after, this is the one i used to learn.

PM or email me with questions if you get stuck.
Automotiveintel@gmail.com

Again caveat(s):

Last edited by Cvaria; 01-12-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:16 PM
///M 'n it up!

Well done. Thanks!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
I've purchased the Gaptech module and have been happy with it - but it's good to know that the ability to put the roof up with the key fob is there from the factory.

Something that the Gaptech provides which adds value for me is the ability to 'one touch' the roof down and up, from both inside and outside the car. This is done in the electronic circuit provided with the module. In other words, you touch the button once on the console and the roof goes down (touch again to stop it). You don't have to keep the button depressed with your finger throughout the whole cycle like the factory.

To me, this is especially important when using the key fob. The range on our remotes is pretty miserable, so if you are on the edge of the short reception range with the factory setup, the roof will stop at any point in the cycle if reception drops. I had this occur a few times before getting the Gaptech module, and AFAIK there is no way to complete the cycle other than going to the car and doing it from the console.

With the Gaptech, for up or down, you touch the buttons once and the cycle starts and continues to completion without holding anything down. This is especially important if you are using the 'extended range' trick by holding the key to your chin (which really does work extremely well). No need to stand there trying to look nonchalant with the key embedded in your chin for 15 seconds ...

So thanks for posting the method of enabling factory remote roof 'up' capability, which is great to know - but I believe the electronic circuit included in the aftermarket products (I've only experienced the Gaptech module, mind you) do provide value beyond being mere 'snake oil'.

Cheers ...
Old 01-14-2012, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
I've purchased the Gaptech module and have been happy with it - but it's good to know that the ability to put the roof up with the key fob is there from the factory.

Something that the Gaptech provides which adds value for me is the ability to 'one touch' the roof down and up, from both inside and outside the car. This is done in the electronic circuit provided with the module. In other words, you touch the button once on the console and the roof goes down (touch again to stop it). You don't have to keep the button depressed with your finger throughout the whole cycle like the factory.

To me, this is especially important when using the key fob. The range on our remotes is pretty miserable, so if you are on the edge of the short reception range with the factory setup, the roof will stop at any point in the cycle if reception drops. I had this occur a few times before getting the Gaptech module, and AFAIK there is no way to complete the cycle other than going to the car and doing it from the console.

With the Gaptech, for up or down, you touch the buttons once and the cycle starts and continues to completion without holding anything down. This is especially important if you are using the 'extended range' trick by holding the key to your chin (which really does work extremely well). No need to stand there trying to look nonchalant with the key embedded in your chin for 15 seconds ...

So thanks for posting the method of enabling factory remote roof 'up' capability, which is great to know - but I believe the electronic circuit included in the aftermarket products (I've only experienced the Gaptech module, mind you) do provide value beyond being mere 'snake oil'.

Cheers ...
True, sadly....

I found the coding for one-touch/click roof goodness... but it appears to vary from model to model

SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_AUF : One touch sun-roof open
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_HEB : " " " " raise
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_SENK : " " " " lower
SCHIEBEHEBEDACH_TIPP_ZU : " " " " close

The commands for sunroof are treated as roof in convertibles.

i'm pissed because it's not showing up in my GM5, also MIA is:

CYCL_TI_BLK;1-touch on turn signal blinks.einmal-1.zweimal-2.dreimal-3.
One touch indicators, lane change.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Pretty amazing to me we are only seeing this info in 2012 when the cars came out in 2003... Good work! I may have to buy one of these cables.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 PM

Exclamation

OBD 2 cable sittting on amazon for 12 bucks.

And it looks like the board, Bimmerfest already had a coding thread going long ago.

same one i used, i feel like i've been molested.

Last edited by Cvaria; 01-17-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: e46 323i, Z4 3.0i
Quote:
OBD 2 cable sittting on amazon for 12 bucks.

And it looks like the board, Bimmerfest already had a coding thread going long ago.

same one i used, i feel like i've been molested.
Will most OBDII -> serial/usb cables work, or does one need a specific chipset for the BMW software?

Judging by this listing, will any VAG-COM OBD->serial/usb cable work?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i
Using NCS expert and EDIABAS cable I was able to activate:
FH_BEIFAHRERTUER_TIPP_ZU on touch up - passanger window
KOMFORTOEFFNUNG_FB key fob roof open
KOMFORTSCHLIESSUNG_FB key fob roof close
Using SSS v32 I coded the car to lock doors when I start driving.
Now I am wanting to find a way to automatically unlock doors with engine shut off/key removal so I don't have to
pull the lever twice or hit the unlock button, is that an option on the Z4 using coding?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM

I don't know if that's an option on any BMW of that era, never heard of it before.