Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW320i
Head Gasket leak repair

Had been losing a lot of coolant on BMW 320i 1981 and also see traces of coolant on oil cap. NO steam from the tail pipe. Occasionally starts running a bit rough. My mechanic threw in some GM pellets which seem to have sealed the leak as there is only a minimal loss of coolant now. He said it was a temporary remedy. HOwever, I do see a little chocolate type of residue on the oil cap after I drive. Mechanic said it was likely the residue of coolant still remaining in the oil. However, dipstick doesn't show any chocolaty stuff.

Want to avoid replacing the head gasket as the car is old ( but in good condition) and I dont drive that much. Any thoughts on repairing the head gasket leak permanently or may be for a year or so? Any one used K@W nano technology Head gasket and block repair? Also, should I replace the oil before using the K@W repair? Directions do ask for a complete drainage of antifreeze. Thanks in advance for your prompt response.
Ads by Google
Old 04-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 87.325is
I would do the head gasket,as for the oil change do after it is fix....before you have to do an engine repair...