Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325ci
How Do U Know If Your Water Pump Has Broke?

HOW DO U KNOW IF YOUR WATER PUMP HAS BROKE?? i get overheating after about 30mins of driving, if i put my heaters on 32c the temp goes back to normal but only on town driving,she cant cope on the motorway as she starts to overheat regardless of the heaters been on.never seen any steam and never seen any water leaking out,the coolant level is normal.
but ive never heard the fan working either? im baffled and dont really want to pay bmw £130 an hour to just look for the problem! thanks people
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Sounds like a bad thermostat.

Try changing it, it's cheap and very easy.
moonroof:
Old 04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i View Post
Sounds like a bad thermostat.

Try changing it, it's cheap and very easy.
It's actually about the same price as the waterpump on the E46. heh.

Might as well do both (and belts and hoses).
Old 04-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 325ci
i just found some old reciepts and the water pump and fan belt was replaced at 86k and it has 101k now?? do u reckon it could have broke again so quickly?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:59 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlord View Post
i just found some old reciepts and the water pump and fan belt was replaced at 86k and it has 101k now?? do u reckon it could have broke again so quickly?
It's probably just the thermostat.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:48 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
It's probably just the thermostat.
+1

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
I'm about to order up the parts for this job for my 2003 (Waterpump, thermostat, housing, belts, expansion tank, hoses.

Any shop supplies needed for this job? Sealants? Lubricants? I don't recall what it was I used on the Mini but the pump went on with the gasket plus some Permatex material of some kind or another (it was a few years back.)

Does the E46 pump or thermostat housing need anything similar during replacement?

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
I
Any shop supplies needed for this job? Sealants? Lubricants? I don't recall what it was I used on the Mini but the pump went on with the gasket plus some Permatex material of some kind or another (it was a few years back.)

Does the E46 pump or thermostat housing need anything similar during replacement?
Nope. New thermo should come with a gasket. You should also get a coolant temp sensor, your old one will likely not seal perfectly in a new hose. It's only $20.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Nope. New thermo should come with a gasket. You should also get a coolant temp sensor, your old one will likely not seal perfectly in a new hose. It's only $20.
Thanks Kris, I'll add it to the list.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan View Post
I'm about to order up the parts for this job for my 2003 (Waterpump, thermostat, housing, belts, expansion tank, hoses.

How much for your parts list? DIY? If so, level of difficulty? Getting close to this job myself.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by damyankee View Post
How much for your parts list? DIY? If so, level of difficulty? Getting close to this job myself.
~$250, easiest if you have a manual tranny. DIYs in the wiki. Few hours of easy work.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 325 Ci
Quote:
~$250, easiest if you have a manual tranny. DIYs in the wiki. Few hours of easy work.
That's a big IF If you have an automatic, you will need to buy or make (there is a pretty good link on here somewhere on how to make your own tool) a BMW tool to get the fan clutch off. You will also need a 32mm spanner or other open ended wrench.

Once you get the fan assemble off, as Krisl said, its pretty easy.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 Coupe/'05 325xiT
You can get the 32mm thin wrench and water pump tool as a combo on ebay for about $30 shipped. Well worth the money!

I don't know if I'd replace my hoses at 100k. I did my entire cooling system at 75k and both hoses appeared to be flawless. I've also read many other posts that said the same thing.

That coolant temp sensor in the lower rad hose is a great idea. The o-ring wears out and will start to leak.

If you do the expansion tank, 2 things...1st, there's another part that it sits on that I've read has a tendency to break when you remove the tank. It has something to do with the auto trans cooler. I got lucky and didn't need one, so I don't know what part it is exactly. Also, it can be a royal pain in the neck to get that tank off. After quite a while of pulling and cursing I read about a superb technique to remove it. Place your floor jack under the tank and prop a tool against the bottom of the tank...I used the water pump tool. A few pumps on the jack and it just pops right out.

It's really a very easy DIY. Kinda fun actually.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 520i SE Y reg 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlord View Post

HOW DO U KNOW IF YOUR WATER PUMP HAS BROKE?? i get overheating after about 30mins of driving, if i put my heaters on 32c the temp goes back to normal but only on town driving,she cant cope on the motorway as she starts to overheat regardless of the heaters been on.never seen any steam and never seen any water leaking out,the coolant level is normal.
but ive never heard the fan working either? im baffled and dont really want to pay bmw £130 an hour to just look for the problem! thanks people
Hi Matie , You would know if your water pump has broke as i found out last weekend whilst driving . It makes an horrible noise and coolant water everywhere. I Replaced mine my self it cost £32.99 for a new pump .