Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Water Leak to "A" Pillar

I have a water leak coming from "A" pillar. I been reading up on the of the leaky moonroof threads and I did the water test by pouring a little water into the moonroof drain hole and water went down into behind of the front wheel as suppose to. So I guess the drain hose is not clogged but disconnected somewhere. Following those moonroof drain hose threads, I found this pic and would like someone to tell me where would the disconnect be at. A circle in the pic would be helpful so I know if I can just take off the A pillar lining or if I have to pry open the head liner as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_headliner_3525.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	381337  
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2013, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: .
I have an old thread that some other posters kindly added pics to, on the last couple pages.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=502099

Your pic doesn't show the front corners of the moonroof cassette. Those are the corners that might leak into the A pillars.

You have to remove the sunvisor, the grab handle, and maybe loosen the center console over the rearview mirror so that you can slightly pull down the headliner on the leaking side and peek in there.

Wait, here's a better thread with great pix.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=6365084

Last edited by pleiades; 06-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Thank you, those pics help and now I know what needs to be done. What would one use to clean out the drain hose? Should I just detach that tube and run water thru it?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill_kuma View Post
Thank you, those pics help and now I know what needs to be done. What would one use to clean out the drain hose? Should I just detach that tube and run water thru it?
I've never removed one entirely so I can't say, but if the draintube isn't clogged, it probably doesn't need cleaning.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: e39 wagon (silver 528)
today for the first time i also had water leaking down the passenger A pillar (just after fixing a seal in the rear driver door that left a good puddle behind the driver's seat...we've had a good bit of rain in ND this September). I followed others' suggestions about testing the moonroof drain and was UNable to recreate the leak. All the water drained out of the car by the front tire as it was designed to do. I also sprayed water on the windshield and where the roof rack mounts onto the top of the wagon...none of which produced the wetness along the top part of the panel covering the airbag in the a pillar and inside the glove box. I tried this with the car pointed up and then down the driveway. One thing i noticed today was that the leak seemed to be happening when the car was parked but not while driving 200 miles round trip at 80-85 mph in steady rain (new tires) hm
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i SP/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagodonuts68 View Post
today for the first time i also had water leaking down the passenger A pillar (just after fixing a seal in the rear driver door that left a good puddle behind the driver's seat...we've had a good bit of rain in ND this September). I followed others' suggestions about testing the moonroof drain and was UNable to recreate the leak. All the water drained out of the car by the front tire as it was designed to do. I also sprayed water on the windshield and where the roof rack mounts onto the top of the wagon...none of which produced the wetness along the top part of the panel covering the airbag in the a pillar and inside the glove box. I tried this with the car pointed up and then down the driveway. One thing i noticed today was that the leak seemed to be happening when the car was parked but not while driving 200 miles round trip at 80-85 mph in steady rain (new tires) hm
I think we have the same leak - trying to find the culprit as well
Old 09-14-2013, 06:47 PM

it can only be so many things, given the effects of gravity on water. let's hope we get input from others.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
it can only be so many things, given the effects of gravity on water. let's hope we get input from others.
Hoses aren't clogged if water comes out where you described. But elimination is about the only approach I can think of.

If I were to test this again, I'd roll the windows shut, pull off the A pillar cover, close the doors and have wife hose the roof and windshield until something starts dripping.

If you see water trickling down the exposed sunroof drain hose, chances are still good that the connecting part with the sunroof drain nipple has slipped off or is loose.

Or, there could be gaps in the cassette/railing that let water through.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
let's hope we get input from others.
I just revised the a-pillar water leak reference in the bestlinks as shown below, so that typing /water or /a-pillar or /wet front carpet will locate this:
- How to test & fix A-pillar sunroof water leaks making a wet front carpet (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)

Let me know if any good a-pillar water leak references are missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterleak.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	396962  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 09-26-2013, 06:12 PM

both cases where I had a wet a-pillar occurred with the nose of the car higher than the rear and the sun roof cracked open in the back (not slid to the rear but tilted up. ....oh and after it rained. (smart eh?)
Old 06-04-2014, 05:10 AM
One wheel roaster

Mein Auto: 1999 bmw 528i
Did any one solve this problem?

1999 528i sport premium, black 18" style 93's, tinted rear windows, blacked side markers, muffler removed with dc exhaust tip, 12" alpine swa-12s4 bassline sub.