Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
...Yes. I'd be interested in your fix.
I was having trouble with the connector coming out of the socket of the switch assembly, so I used a zip tie around the body of the assembly and over the connector.

You have to use a thin zip tie so that the assembly will still snap into the seat cover. The zip tie must go over the flat part of the connector, or it'll just slip off. Also, there are a couple of tabs on the switch assembly that go into recesses of the seat cover. The zip tie must be toward the center of the assembly so that these tabs will go into those recesses.

This "fix" has lasted two weeks now. I'm not really happy with it, but it's better than the duct tape that only lasted about an hour.

I did not take photos, so I edited one of Blubee's photos to show the approximate placement of the zip tie.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat cover 3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	353151  
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
A strange one was reported today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntang View Post
OK, I assure everyone that I have searched through all the old info on this issue, but I am still left with a driver's seat and steering column that won't adjust.

It appears as though most folks find a loose connector and a broken plug shroud to be the cause of the issue. Unfortunately, I found the connector to be plugged in properly and no broken plastic after removing the seat trim. As a matter of fact, both the plug and control module look like new.

Fuses all look OK, and a quick check of pin 25 on the plug seems to confirm that the module is getting power.

I thought for a second that it may be the ignition switch as I've seen that mentioned, but I have none of the other common symptoms.

I am about to order a new (used) seat control module, but I'm worried I may be overlooking another cause. Has anyone else had the seat control module just die completely?

See also:
- What to do when both your automatic steering wheel tilt and manual & automatic driver seat control fails (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) & related automatic steering wheel tilt details (1) (2) (3) & what to do if your steering wheel & key cylinder locks in place (1) (2) or if you lose your key and need to program a new one yourself (1) & signs of a failing ignition switch (1) or ring antenna (1) & the BMW TIS for when the ignition switch spins but does not engage (1) & rebuilding a failed ignition switch (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) & how to test your BMW E39 DSC steering wheel sensors (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: e39
can anybody tell me if anything wrong with the controller? i just cant figure it out how to put the knob to the controller. it looks like the little plastic thing (2nd from the left) is blocking the movement fro the big circle (3rd from the left)

Old 04-17-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
To all who did it with the seat in the car, my hat's off to you. I had to take my seat out to make it easy to remove the plastic tabs in the middle and the back. As mentioned, the dealer sells both right and left molding together. As for the switchbox, the top part was also broken but luckily I have a surplus part due to a different problem.(seat rails)
Old 08-03-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2001E39 M5
I have a 2001 E39 M5 and need to remove the plastic cover that holds all of the seat adjustment controls. I have removed the two screws and the three plastic plugs that hold it on and it is still holding on behind where the headrest adjustment is. I haven't seen a post that mentions removal of the headrest switch so I am look for some guidance; any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trading101 View Post
I haven't seen a post that mentions removal of the headrest switch so I am look for some guidance; any suggestions?
Im slightly confused...do you mean the button...then see Post #36 on page 2 of this thread. If you mean the switch...the lower seat & seat back (includes headrest) are all on the same switch.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-03-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
I sat on my seat cover and cracked it while doing my door actuator.
This thread was useful and thanks for he DETAILS BlueBee.
I might try to remove my cover and see if I can crazy glue the 1 broken tab.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2001E39 M5
Plastic cover won't come off

I have removed all three plugs and two screws but it is still held on by something that is directly behind the round switch which I believe is the headrest and lumbar support switch. Is there something I am missing? I think this would be easier to figure out if I was able to move the seat but at the moment it's not working which is why I need to remove the cover.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i (E39) 120k
I managed to salvage my original seat side covering today.
It was cracked off in a few places and dangling.
If my jerry–rigged fix holds, I saved myself $50.
If not, I now know how to quickly replace the panel now.

Both of my Torx screw hole areas had cracked off.
I found the piece for the screw hole that is hidden under the seat cushion.
I just Crazy Glued it back into place, and also glued another snip of a credit card as reinforcement.

For the front Torx screw, I used an old credit card to recreate the hole.
I glued a few strips together and then glued that onto the panel.
Then I drilled a hole where the Torx screw will go through to secure to the seat base.
The picture explains it all.

Also, the rear fastener was a BITCH to remove.
It is a 2-step removal process.

1) The trick is that you need to seatback all the way FORWARD to be able to pop the rivet.
First, use a mirror to see where the rivet is. It's at the very back edge of the seat.
Try to follow the thin strip of plastic that goes from left to right at the very bottom of the seat cover.
Trim pry tools could not get in there. My hands were not strong enough to pop it off.
In the end, I used a tiny pick tool to get in there and get some leverage to get it to pop.
Once you pop it, the rivet point is still loosely caught in the hole. There's no room to pull it out entirely.

2) Then, you need to seatback all the way BACK in order to actually get clearance to pull the rivet entirely out of the hole.

You are pulling the panel AND rivet out as 1 piece.
The rivet will not come apart from the seat panel.
Also, the rivet is really barbed into the panel.
Don't bothering trying to remove it. Leave it in the panel.
I was not able to remove it, even once I had the entire panel off.

Last edited by EconoBox; 08-11-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Need to know it part is bad or not. Look at this thread and #39 from bluebee

Hello, just started replacing my driver side switch cover an had a few questions. On this thread and #39 Bluebee shows picture of a bracket 52108207405, it has a support for a stand off for the wiring harness to the switch control box. Like Bluebee if you look toward the top of the picture (a little up above the red arrow and to the left, it looks like a piece of the plastic has snapped (gray in color, instead of black like the rest of the part). Mine looks the same. When I google the part it looks like there's a tap that is suppose to extend outward into the seat frame? I think it might add support to the whole seat switch cover housing so it won't flex in the middle when getting in and out of the seat? Does anyone know?

Also unfortunately my black switch actuator broke when removing the seat back tilt knob. So took it apart, using some epoxy to glue it back together, hope it holds. Other wise will be looking for a used switch to rob the part out of.

Thanks

Last edited by riverjamie; 09-29-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: wording
Old 09-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverjamie View Post
Hello, just started replacing my driver side switch cover an had a few questions. On this thread and #39 Bluebee shows picture of a bracket 52108207405, it has a support for a stand off for the wiring harness to the switch control box. Like Bluebee if you look toward the top of the picture (a little up above the red arrow and to the left, it looks like a piece of the plastic has snapped (gray in color, instead of black like the rest of the part). ...Thanks
That is a support piece for the round lumbar switch which helps prevent it from being pushed out of the cover. If it does provide any support for the plastic cover...it's probably minimal since its a simple plastic piece that probably can't support much body weight.

(bluebee's image from post #39 of the support plate for the lumbar switch)

Below is the lumbar switch that goes in the circular hole in the seat cover...it only has the small nubs (that collapse) that slide down in the grooves...then the supporting plate (in bluebee's image) helps to keep it in place and from being push out when occupants of the seat are pressing the lumbar switch to adjust it.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 09-29-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:58 PM

Qicksilver, thanks for replying. I agree for the most part with what your saying about the support piece. My concern with part of it missing is that it may just keep the center of the cover ay from moving away. Going to see if the local dealer has one and check it out.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Okay, today I purchased a new 52108207405 support bracket for the drivers side seat switch control panel. It does have a tab/clip on the end of the area that I mentioned above. If you look at the attached picture below, the left side is the new support piece with tab/clip sticking up on the right hand side. I don't know if the tab/clip end really provides much more support, but it might if pressure is put on when you exit the car?

Also if your mechanical you can take apart the seat switch module if the black post breaks, like mine did. After I removed the switch module, I carefully removed to cover with a small screwdriver by lifting the locking tabs, and moving the housing up. After I got the cover off, I took the broken black post and cleaned it with lacquer thinner, then applied epoxy (get one that's for plastic) make sure you give it the full cure time. Then I lightly sanded the post plate assembly and applied a very thin film on light weight grease, I do mean a very very small amount, to help it move easier. Then reassembled the switch back together. I also applied a small amount to the post before I put the knobs back on, so in the future if I should have to remove the knobs, hopefully the posts won't break when removing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6430.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	399782  

Last edited by riverjamie; 10-01-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: wording and picture
Old 01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
This thread has interesting information from key members of this forum related to the steering wheel movement, the related fuse, and battery condition:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Steering wheel not repositioning on start
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdl View Post
From time to time I've seen posts asking why the steering wheel wasn't repositioning itself when starting the car. I've found that at least one cause is a weak battery.

Over the autumn as temperatures have been falling, I started to notice this problem intermittently. The column would adjust freely with the engine running and when I turned the engine off but often not when starting the car. Christmas week we got a cold snap and the big morning the engine wouldn't turn over. With a new battery the steering wheel problem hasn't reappeared in over a week although temperatures have fallen even lower. I believe that the battery had been getting weaker/marginal and when I started the engine the battery voltage fell low enough that the steering column position motor dropped out.

So if you find your steering column isn't returning to position when starting the car have the battery load tested to verify its condition or try swapping in a known good battery.

BTW, I'm not actually a blithering idiot despite this evidence to the contrary. I had noticed that cranking speed seemed slow although the car always started at the first touch of the key. I thought I had some time and was scouting for a new battery. In the event, my Christmas Day emergency left me with limited options as most autoparts stores were closed for several days or had no stock.

One more example of the power of Murphy's Law. (or O'Toole's Commentary which states "Murphy was an optomist")