Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-03-2008, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 325it
intermittent, blinking oil pressure warning light

I have a 2003 325it, roughly 63k miles. Yesterday while driving, the oil pressure warning light (red) began blinking on and off while stopped at a light in traffic. The light stopped immediately when I slowly accelerated. Blinked/flickered again as soon as I slowed to a stop. Immediately came home(less than a mile), and consult the manual to see what it said about the warning light. I knew that it could indicate yellow or red depending on the level or pressure but couldn't recall for certain which was which. Checked oil level and it is pretty much right at full. I changed oil about 2 months ago, Mobil1 5-30 with OEM filter. Got up early this morning and brought it in to the dealer where I purchased it CPO. It is warranted through 2009. No loaner (since I wasn't scheduled?) and my wife is with the kids at soccer so I hoofed it home.

Didn't get any real immediate feedback from my SA and can't expect anything until the techs get to it later today or Monday. I am bummed about the whole thing. I've never seen an engine oil warning light, in any vehicle I have driven. Has anyone had any similar problems? Hopefully it a simple thing and I am over-obsessing. In the meantime I'll be driving my ancient Trooper (which has 125K mi. and in almost 15 yrs has never shown me any red oil lights).
Ads by Google
Old 05-18-2008, 12:59 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
I had the identical issue on my 2003 325i. What did the techs say at the dealer? Was is simply the oil level sensor? My red oil light flickered the other day at a stop light while at idle. As soon as I started moving and got the revs above idle it went out. I was close to home so when I pulled in the drive I shut it down and checked the oil level which was fine as expected. When I restarted the car no light again either. May be it was a gremlin?
2005 530I History
2003 325i History
Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 325 I 2004
I have the same thing happening too! I have a a 2003 325i. whenever i stop at a light the red lil oil can starts to flash at me!! But then after i drove my car for about an hour it stopped when i was almost home?? So i called the Bmw dealer and they said to make sure that the oil is topped off, so i checked mine and it was so then they said i probally need a new sensor so thats what i am gonna do next!!