Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to nekhi2003
Mein Auto: 745li
Resettig zf transmission algorithmn

is it possible to reset a 2003 745??? and if so how do you knw if it was reset??? does a light go off, bell, whistle????
Ads by Google
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to tbal69
Mein Auto: Qrtr27
u can reset the transmission by turn your key to position 2, hold the accel pedal down (past kickdown) for about 30secs... than start car, and voila
Old 05-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Asanti AF 120

Mein Auto: 745Li 04'
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekhi2003 View Post
is it possible to reset a 2003 745??? and if so how do you knw if it was reset??? does a light go off, bell, whistle????
nek-hi, no lights, no bells, nada bro! so just follow pastor Tbal advice and rejoice! -he takes offerings too.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_tech
Mein Auto: rickshaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa7 View Post
nek-hi, no lights, no bells, nada bro! so just follow pastor Tbal advice and rejoice! -he takes offerings too.
Amen brother. Amen!! or is it "Awww man! " or "Oh man!". But then again, Id rather worship a naked 3 legged,one eyed,and four breasted gypsy figurine than believe that a pastor's crap doesn't stink.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to nekhi2003
Mein Auto: 745li
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, THE CONGRAGATION WANTS TO know...it is possible on the 03 to be reset??????? I did it but truthfully cannot say i notice anything...what should i be noticing???????? i'm embarressed...lol
Old 05-05-2008, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 Lexus LS460L
I guess I need clarification on all of the transmission issues. The only problem I notice with my transmission (warm car) is when I approach a stop then go again...a rolling stop. It seems the transmission is not shifting down into first gear so when I hit the gas again it seems to slide from second down to first which doesn't seem correct.

Is this the transmission thump that everyone talks about or is the typical problem different?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li, X5 3.0, A6 2.7t
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2BMW View Post
I guess I need clarification on all of the transmission issues. The only problem I notice with my transmission (warm car) is when I approach a stop then go again...a rolling stop. It seems the transmission is not shifting down into first gear so when I hit the gas again it seems to slide from second down to first which doesn't seem correct.

Is this the transmission thump that everyone talks about or is the typical problem different?
I think the tranny keeps the car in second when coming to a stop and after a few seconds while stopped it puts it in first, this is what I experience anyway.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Hot for Teacher...

Mein Auto: E46, E65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 745bymyside View Post
I think the tranny keeps the car in second when coming to a stop and after a few seconds while stopped it puts it in first, this is what I experience anyway.
This is my experience as well.

FYI, maybe I am stupid cause I noticed everyone else got this... but what exactly would "Position 2" be with our cartridge keys? I am assuming position 2 is when the electronics and air turn on when you FIRST insert the key into the slot in these cars, and then of course the "RUN" position is when you push the start button.

Last edited by Playdrive4me; 06-06-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: F07 550i GT
By "Position 2" he meant that if you put the key in, then DONT push the brake pedal, but DO push the start/stop button. It will work like a regular car if you turn the key on past ign but not all the way to start. Batt, Airbag, lights etc...

As an Engineer I have to say: When all else fails read the manual. Until then, push random buttons like there is no tomorrow!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmooth79 View Post
By "Position 2" he meant that if you put the key in, then DONT push the brake pedal, but DO push the start/stop button. It will work like a regular car if you turn the key on past ign but not all the way to start. Batt, Airbag, lights etc...
Ahhh.. this makes sense... Got it, Thanks!
Old 06-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745i
My tranny does not downshift to first when coming to a stop some of the time. I guess if you SLOWLY come to a stop the tranny will stay in second. I told the dealership about it; they didn't say if was normal or not - just updated the software. Still staying in second, so I guess it must be normal.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 PM
Hot for Teacher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjennjr View Post
My tranny does not downshift to first when coming to a stop some of the time. I guess if you SLOWLY come to a stop the tranny will stay in second. I told the dealership about it; they didn't say if was normal or not - just updated the software. Still staying in second, so I guess it must be normal.
Tell me guys, am I the only person who REALLY hates this car in stop and go traffic as a result of this transmission?

There is nothing more annoying than coming to a NEAR stop, then taking off again and having the transmission two steps behind and resisting my acceleration. It feels COMPLETELY un-natural when you are driving around at low speeds in the city, then the occasional slip and thud. Very very annoying transmission algorithm.

Sad because the 5 Speed automatic in the E46 3 Series is the BEST automatic trans in the WORLD.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
you need a new tranny. my car is smooth in stop and go traffic

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Hot for Teacher...

You might be right, but after seeing so many people with '07 and '08s with this same problem I'm beginning to think I'm going to jump through alot of hoops with the stupid dealer like diznik says and eventually end up in the same place.

I may just try an old fashioned fluid change at an indy mechanic since BMW won't do them.

Plus I've got to get through my shaky-shaky issue first before I start giving them hell on the transmission. The shaking honestly bugs the sh!t out of me!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: M35
That was one thing really annoying having transmission taking off at the 2ND gear and i reproduced it to the delaer by pushing L/D on a stop sign and me and the foreman saw it says L2 however i also complained about jolting on 5Th to 6Th it was heavy as hell and some times it delays when i take it to high rpm like 4000 or something , but after tranny replaced it shifts like water and takes off on 1ST gear all the time I will keep my fingers crossed
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SOLD
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Old 06-11-2008, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
for all of you who had your transmissions replaced, do you still need to reset the transmissions learning algorithm once in a while. i haven't received the clunk since the software update but i performed the reset the other day and the car is much more responsive now.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-11-2008, 04:39 PM
bmw addiction

i had my transmission replaced about 5 months ago and yesterday was the first time i ever reset the tranny.

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 06-11-2008, 04:47 PM

^^^did you notice any difference

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
bmw addiction

yes i did. the shifting was a little smoother.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Reigning Queen of the 7er

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745Li
Anybody happen to know what the software update costs for the tranny issues?? I have an aftermarket warranty, but don't know if I want to use it for the update. JIC I need a new tranny in the future, since I'm having the same "damn, did I just get rear-ended... oh no it was my tranny just catching up" issues when I come to a stop.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
bmw addiction

JIC??????
chances are software or the guibo thingy wont fix the problem. in most cases the only cure is getting a new tranny.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprdlvr View Post
Anybody happen to know what the software update costs for the tranny issues?? I have an aftermarket warranty, but don't know if I want to use it for the update. JIC I need a new tranny in the future, since I'm having the same "damn, did I just get rear-ended... oh no it was my tranny just catching up" issues when I come to a stop.
you have a warranty but don't know if you want to use it for the update??? why not? in most cases, the dealer won't replace your tranny until they have exhausted all options. this includes replacing the guibo joint and software updates. also, many aftermarket warranties don't cover software updates. you should check yours.

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 06-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
Chances are your aftermarket warranty will not cover a software update or reprogram when not replacing any parts. If you had a part replaced then they will cover a reprogram.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Reigning Queen of the 7er

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
JIC??????
chances are software or the guibo thingy wont fix the problem. in most cases the only cure is getting a new tranny.
JIC= Just In Case. So maybe I should just march my happy ass up in there, bat a few eyelashes and say give me a new tranny, bi-yatch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diznik007 View Post
you have a warranty but don't know if you want to use it for the update??? why not? in most cases, the dealer won't replace your tranny until they have exhausted all options. this includes replacing the guibo joint and software updates. also, many aftermarket warranties don't cover software updates. you should check yours.
I'll check mine and see if it covers software updates. I was told by someone not to use the warranty for every little nitpick thing, 'cause when it's up they might not want to issue you another one (if you still have the car once it's expired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
Chances are your aftermarket warranty will not cover a software update or reprogram when not replacing any parts. If you had a part replaced then they will cover a reprogram.
Thanks for the insight. I'm going to definitely check into what it will and won't cover when it comes to the whole software thing.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:40 PM
bmw addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by lprdlvr View Post
JIC= Just In Case. So maybe I should just march my happy ass up in there, bat a few eyelashes and say give me a new tranny, bi-yatch.
you should try showing some cleavage that might do the trick

Black Trim Painted White