Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Mein Auto: 335i conv
Space Gray and Saddle?

Hi, new member here but have been reading for about a month. I have just ordered a 335i convertible with the saddle interior. I ordered a black sapphire exterior even though I really wanted Space Gray because I am unsure how the combination of saddle and Space gray would look. It is difficult to really appreciate the combination on the BMW website and the dealer only had saddle and white. Have any of you seen space gray and saddle in person and what did you think? I still have time to change my order.

Thanks, Christian
Ads by Google
Old 05-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5 & '14 435Xdrive
i am ordering space gray with saddle, i am undecided on the trim, people say gray poplar looks nice with saddle but still need to see it in actual.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM
qk

Mein Auto: 6
w/e you do, dont get the plastic silver looking crap, get wood grain
Old 05-07-2008, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E93 & M3
I just took delivery (ED) of space/saddle. I love it! I didn't want another black car.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2007 428i Coupvertible®
Space and Saddle looks great. The only thing to keep in mind is that on the convertible you're adding a lot of black plastic that's very visible. Saddle interior looks all leathery from the front, but from the rear you have the black plastic seatback trim, black plastic rollbar covers, and the black plastic roof cover and it adds a lot of visual noise.

Additionally, the only thing that's saddle in the car are the seats and a bit of the door trim. Everything else is black. Black dash, black plastic, black carpets. With the roof up, that "open" feeling of a convertible is lost in a sea of dark black blah.

BJ

Last edited by boltjames; 05-07-2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '14 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzeug View Post
The "plastic silver" trim is actually real brushed aluminum, just like the woods are real, not "wood grain".

09.16.13 European Delivery

Past:
2011 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)
2010 135i Vert 6MT (ED)
2007 335i Coupe 6MT (ED)

2006 325i Sedan 6MT
Old 05-07-2008, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Alpinweiss E92
I think the Saddle looks fantastic in general and is very unique.....but IMO it doesn't match well with the Space Gray. I test drove a Black E93 that had the Saddle and I thought was a great match.

I believe I would get either of the brown wood trims with the Saddle, no matter what the exterior color. Again, it is all a matter of personal taste and opinion.
2009 335i E92 (Delivered: 2/24/09) | Alpine White | Saddle Dakota Leather | Dark Burl | ZPP | ZSP w/19" wheels | CA | Nav | Step | Heated Front Seats | Rear Power Sunshade | Logic 7 | Sirius | M Aero Lip | Dinan Stage II | OEM Aluminum Pedals |BMWCCA # 409820 |
Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Sup3rman

Mein Auto: '11 E90 AW M3/ '11 AW X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
I think the Saddle looks fantastic in general and is very unique.....but IMO it doesn't match well with the Space Gray. I test drove a Black E93 that had the Saddle and I thought was a great match.

I believe I would get either of the brown wood trims with the Saddle, no matter what the exterior color. Again, it is all a matter of personal taste and opinion.
All boils down to opinion. I optioned for gray poplar instead of brown woodtones, mainly because none of the woodtones actually complimented the saddle. Gray poplar blends with the rest of the black interior well. If you need pictures of saddle and gray poplar, just let me know

Saddle is the only color IMO worth paying extra for over leatherette...

2007 335i Coupe - 6MT Alpine White/Saddle Brown ED 5/23/2007 (retired)

ED Trip Report W/ Pics (And Engagement Story/Pics)
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i View Post
All boils down to opinion. I optioned for gray poplar instead of brown woodtones, mainly because none of the woodtones actually complimented the saddle. Gray poplar blends with the rest of the black interior well. If you need pictures of saddle and gray poplar, just let me know

That is a good point. I never saw Gray Poplar with the Saddle and since a lot of the interior is still "black", I can see where the Gray Poplar would work.

When I first saw the 2007 Brochure and saw the Saddle in a car on a dealers lot my first thought was "Why would anybody want an interior that looks like a football?"

Now I think it is gorgeous (although I still wouldn't want it with Space Gray). It is unique. I have Black leather...........as offered by every other car manufacturer in the world.

The Saddle grabs attention. I think it is a great choice for most exterior colors.
2009 335i E92 (Delivered: 2/24/09) | Alpine White | Saddle Dakota Leather | Dark Burl | ZPP | ZSP w/19" wheels | CA | Nav | Step | Heated Front Seats | Rear Power Sunshade | Logic 7 | Sirius | M Aero Lip | Dinan Stage II | OEM Aluminum Pedals |BMWCCA # 409820 |
Old 05-07-2008, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 325CIC, 335CIC
Quote:

I was in the same boat - the other wood tones seem to clash with the brown color of the seats - went with Gray Poplar as I didn't really like the other option as much (brushed aluminum) and I love the Gray Poplar - looks pretty black with gray wood tones - no brown at all like sometimes pick up with a camera

This thread has some good pics that look like the real life color - it is really hard to find one at the dealer as they all come with the default wood and never order anything unique - usually you have to find a special order car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ar#post1923775

Good Luck - love my saddle and gray poplar combo!

Rob
Old 05-07-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
I was in the same boat - the other wood tones seem to clash with the brown color of the seats - went with Gray Poplar as I didn't really like the other option as much (brushed aluminum) and I love the Gray Poplar - looks pretty black with gray wood tones - no brown at all like sometimes pick up with a camera

This thread has some good pics that look like the real life color - it is really hard to find one at the dealer as they all come with the default wood and never order anything unique - usually you have to find a special order car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ar#post1923775

Good Luck - love my saddle and gray poplar combo!

Rob
That is beautiful!! If I was getting white, either of the blacks or either of the blues I wouldn't get anything but the Saddle!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 991, X5 35d and Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjames View Post
Space and Saddle looks great. The only thing to keep in mind is that on the convertible you're adding a lot of black plastic that's very visible. Saddle interior looks all leathery from the front, but from the rear you have the black plastic seatback trim, black plastic rollbar covers, and the black plastic roof cover and it adds a lot of visual noise.

Additionally, the only thing that's saddle in the car are the seats and a bit of the door trim. Everything else is black. Black dash, black plastic, black carpets. With the roof up, that "open" feeling of a convertible is lost in a sea of dark black blah.

BJ
Hey - That's my car. I picked it up in Munich last July. I love the Space Gray/Saddle combo. I've gotten compliments from everyone who has seen it. I especially love the two tone look with saddle leather and black plastic bits - I can't imagine anything that would be much uglier than a saddle brown plastic dash/console/boot cover. Here are some more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3353.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	146194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00133.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	146195   Click image for larger version

Name:	3352.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	146196  
Old 05-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: CV
space and saddle is awesome. I have to take better pics

Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzeug View Post
Next time please do your research before posting garbage. The silver crap is real brushed aluminum and the wood trim is real wood as jwac pointed out.

Thanks, Mike.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
I have jet black and coral red - IMHO, it is a fabulous combo, and I think coral with space gray would be hot too. But I gotta admit - the space gray/saddle is really extraordinary.

Doug
Old 05-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2007 428i Coupvertible®
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveatesq View Post
Hey - That's my car. I picked it up in Munich last July. I love the Space Gray/Saddle combo. I've gotten compliments from everyone who has seen it. I especially love the two tone look with saddle leather and black plastic bits - I can't imagine anything that would be much uglier than a saddle brown plastic dash/console/boot cover. Here are some more pictures.
I wasn't saying that a saddle brown dash/boot cover would be attractive. Was saying that on a black car, the black bits blend quite sharply. White car, silver car, red car......there are combinations that look great against the dark black bits. Space Grey, while beautiful, doesn't feel 100% in sync with Saddle because the Saddle is a bit orange and the black bits don't work completely, doesn't really help the car "pop".

Bottom line, the BMW interiors feel differently in a convertible than in a coupe. In the 'vert, the heavy plastic accents make a huge difference wheras in a coupe its not very noticible until someone's in the back seat. My only point to the OP is that by choosing an interior that has the black seatbacks, black boot cover, and black rollbar covers, you're really buying a three-color car. It's Grey/Orange/Black and it doesn't look as "right" as other color combos. And if natural wood is chosen, that's a four color car. It's too much.

BJ
Old 05-08-2008, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Color Choice

Order what YOU think you can live with. I think your combo will look great.

I just signed an order for 328 coupe for ED in Sept 08 and thankfully, do not have to make a color decision until mid June. Only signed the documents yesterday to avoid the upcoming price increases on the 3 series. I'm visiting as many BMW dealers in my area to look at color combos on the lot. Have gone from space grey to monaco blue and still am unsure.

The convert with plastic seats will not cut it regardless of what other color combo you choose. Plastic seats are the non-status choice!
Old 05-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Another day in Paradise

Send a message via Yahoo to gokartmozart
Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 M Coupe - LM08697
White, SG or the blues go excellently with the Saddle (and my wife agrees.. we are currently looking for a '05 3er CPO with AW/brown our first pref).

2008 Z4 M Coupe (Alpine White/Imola Red/Carbon Leather) - CDV delete, stubby antenna
2005 530i (Silver Gray/Black The wife's Daily Driver
)
2003 Z4 3.0 (given to son)
1993 525iT (gone), 1993 325i (gone), 1983 320i (gone)
Old 05-08-2008, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 335i e93
Space/Coral is the way to go.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 328i Coupe
Quote:
All boils down to opinion. I optioned for gray poplar instead of brown woodtones, mainly because none of the woodtones actually complimented the saddle. Gray poplar blends with the rest of the black interior well.
Ditto that. Neither brown wood quite matches, and the gray poplar certainly goes well with the black.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35M Sapphire/Black
You can't go wrong with saddle on any color, it is HOT. I had the orient blue and saddle on my 2003 coupe. I now have an 08 vert that is sapphire and black, however and LOVE it, too. I wanted the sapphire/saddle on the lot, but it was not fully loaded. You will love the sapphire/saddle combo.

I would probably not go with the gray poplar trim with the saddle and would instead choose one of the brown woods. Just my opinion. though. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 AM
335... is alive!

Mein Auto: E90 335
I was very skeptical of saddle, it looked kind of orange-y in some pics (or, it did to me - I'm a little colorblind). Saw it in person in a Space Grey coupe. It was flat out gorgeous. Very unique looking combination with the grey wood, unlike anything I've seen. The color looked really rich and upscale. If it was available on the sedan, almost certainly would've gone for it. (Somehow terra just isn't the same...)
Old 05-09-2008, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e93 335, 04 MDX
I saw a 911 last year with Atlas gray exterior/cocoa interior and it was gorgeous. When I ordered my 335 vert, I wanted to see if I could get close to what I saw in the Porsche. When I mentioned SG and saddle, the dealer was like "OK, if that's what you want." I was worried and took a trip to a large BMW dealer about an hour away. They had a coupe and a vert in SG/saddle and said they had sold a few already. They both looked great, but I really liked the coupe which had aluminum trim. Seeing it in person sold me.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i; 08 Toyota RAV4
Thumbs up I was worried too, but eight months and loving it like the first day.

When I ordered, there was only the orange-ish looking pictures around but nothing to see in person. Then someone in the UK had really high quality pictures that almost look exactly as in person. After seeing those, I crossed my fingures and took the plunge. When I saw it at delivery, I instantly fell in love!