Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 05-07-2003, 09:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e38 e39
Viet-SmartTire question

Do you have a write up on SmarTire? I love how you got the display into the ash tray.
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 AM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
Probably won't complete the write-up till the weekend or earlier if I find time. Here are some teaser pics:

With low profile tires, I wouldn't leave home w/o it cuz it's too hard to "feel" that they are flat. I'll post the link to this thread when the DIY is complete so you'll get a reminder e-mail.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com

Old 05-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Hey, Didn't Robin Yang (PUR NRG) do the BMW "smart tire" set up on his car? I believe M5s can get this as an option or perhaps it is Euro 5s that get the option. Once again, we get the proverbial shaft.

Chris
Old 05-07-2003, 10:56 AM

PUR NRG sure did do it, but I didn't get a chance to find out any real info or see his install, so I just pioneered my own way. Of course, I couldn't have done any of it w/o the Ultimate Guide to Armrests which showed me how to remove certain parts.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e38 e39
Man viet, that's hot. Stop teasing me

I bet that once you use something like that, you can't live the same way again!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen people driving on sagging tires.

Can't wait to see the writeup!

BTW, thanks for the armrest guide. It took an idiot like me 10 minutes to put it in. And the aspheric mirrors are awesome...but dangerous. Once you start using it you 'unlearn' to turn your head...because you don't have to. So, when I drive another car, I forget to turn my head .

Last edited by shabbaman; 05-07-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ågent99
I believe M5s can get this as an option or perhaps it is Euro 5s that get the option. Once again, we get the proverbial shaft.

Chris
PS-

Yes, the M5 has the option but it might use the ABS system to notice a wheel is turning at a different rate than all the others, which would happen if its pressure was less than the rest. I'm not sure of this, but I haven't seen anyone post info about a valve-mounted sensor or band sensor like the SmarTire uses. Folks that buy M5 takeoff rims haven't commented on that either. If it does use the ABS system, it's not as accurate, but it's cheap. I read somewhere there's some legislation that might start to require PSI monitoring systems in some cars, so you'll see this market grow quickly.

Old 05-07-2003, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shabbaman
I bet that once you use something like that, you can't live the same way again!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen people driving on sagging tires.
After my dad cut the sidewall of his 3mo old 17" tire and had to pay $200 for a replacement, I didn't even think about the SmarTire cost when getting my rims/tires.

Quote:
BTW, thanks for the armrest guide. It took an idiot like me 10 minutes to put it in. And the aspheric mirrors are awesome...but dangerous. Once you start using it you 'unlearn' to turn your head...because you don't have to. So, when I drive another car, I forget to turn my head .
Ågent99 is the man to thank for the armrest guide, but I'll be producing my own since it'll cover the mating of the armrest to slider which doesn't always come pre-attached.

I hear ya on the aspheric mirrors!

Old 07-25-2003, 10:22 AM

Write-up is finally done. Sorry for the delay, but my primary computer w/ the pics took a vacation on me.

Click here for the DIY write-up.

Old 07-26-2003, 09:07 AM
I'm Eating My Head

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Great writeup ! Although we went different directions on parts of our installs, I agree this is one system that is needed when running low profile tires.

I am trying to finish up the fine tuning on the pressure/temperature correlation that we discussed some time ago and will get back with ya on that.

Thanks for the DIY site you provide. I've used it or referenced it to someone else several times. Good Job
Old 07-26-2003, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionics12
Great writeup ! Although we went different directions on parts of our installs, I agree this is one system that is needed when running low profile tires.
Thx man! If you have any tips on making the install easier/cheaper/better with the parts and methods you used, let me know by all means.

Definitely post any results you have with those special SmarTire settings.

Gracias.