Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-06-2014, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto:
Aux radiator fan ! Help!!! No air and 100 degrees in Memphis

Okay, I totally messed up on this one I will admit! Tested aux fan and it was bad so I ordered a new one an aftermarket trying to save some money. There I go again trying to save some money and something bad happens. Anyways, before I bought the new fan my air conditioning still worked even though the aux fan didn't work. The only times the air wouldn't work is when I was at an idol. Once I was moving the air became colder. I got the new fan in the mail and immediately started working on my car I thought I had unplugged the fan from the connector but found out that I didn't when I went to cut the wires I think I shorted something out. Didn't think anything of it until I got the new fan installed and the fan works when I plug it up but it stays on constantly and air-conditioning won't even work the compressor won't even cut on at all now help. Not sure if Mr. Spencer up for a relay but I have checked all the fuses and and dumbfounded I just want the air to work again I don't care if it only works when the car is moving at this point and hot when it's at standstill just as long as I have some air ! Please Help!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be? I really need some help. It is incredibly hot and humid here without air-conditioning.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
If you cut the three wires (two thick one and one skinny one) you might have shorted out the the DME since the skinny wire is the signal wire which provides a pulse signal to the fan to turn on and control the speed.

If the DME is bad, it won't send a signal to energize the compressor clutch. Take it into a tech before you do more damage to the X.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Thank you so much! I wasn't thinking when I did that. I am a 36 yr old woman that has done all the work on my vehicle so far. I know to unplug the fan but I had just gotten off work and the fan came in the mail that day. I was chomping at the bit to fix it. It was getting dark and I was in a hurry and wasn't paying attention when I did that. I have changed the spark plugs, coil packs , cam sensor , all the oxygen sensors ( under hood and under car, the expansion tank and the CCV valve without taking the intake off. All by myself . I know I'm not an expert but I am able to do most things myself. It took me eight hours to change the CCV valve but I did it myself. I appreciate you helping me on this I just didn't want to go through the process of elimination like I did before with the CCV valve. Thank again ! You have helped me more than you know.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Kudos to you for replacing the aux fan on your own. Did it take a long time given that the bumper has to be removed or did you find a quicker way to remove the old and install the new one? Was the aftermarket fan made in China? Is the aux fan now working? I am having the same problem, but sans the humidity here in San Diego.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto:
It wasn't so hard changing the aux fan . The only problem after I take in all the boats out I can figure out how the bumper popped off. Finally I figured out on the sides of the bumper there are these clips, I used a metal fingernail file stuck it in there to push down the clip and slid it out and the bumper just fell off. But it took me about an hour to figure out what was holding the bumper on after I gotten all the bolts out. Total time from start to finish was about three hours. And yes, the fan that I had bought to replace my original fan came from Illinois but it didn't have the right connector on the end and I just said forget it and went to a salvage yard and bought a used box fan for 200. bucks. I have figured out aftermarket parts on certain things are not a good thing for a BMW. From now on I will only use BMW parts except for minor things. As soon as I put the BMW fan on my car everything worked correctly again.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 AM

Mein Auto:
Oops! I was talking to text so some of the words aren't correct. It's a guessing game when I talk to text.