Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
4x4 Light - Bavarian Technic Diagnosis

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, been using this forum for a while to tshoot issues on my wifes 2006 X5 3.0i with 145k.
I decided to join and contribute since I really like the BMW X5 (my first) and decided to purchase more tools and maintain it myself.

History
Bought the car about a year ago in great shape. Clean carfax, 1 owner, meticulously taken care of etc.
The wife drives it to work, about 60miles/day.
PM: Did the 100k service just after I purchased it at 120k - new plugs, filters etc. since there was no record of the service from previous owner.
ABS/brake light and 135k - Needed new front brakes, replaced with new wear sensors.

140k started having electrical issues and a 4x4 light on the dash, no other lights. Noisy alternator pulley when started cold.
So I replaced the alternator, belts and new battery.
Also purchased the basic Bavarian Technic ODBII tool/software. Pulled the codes and reset them all.
Found a 54C6 - Oil Abrasion code. So I replaced the transfer case oil per specs with BMW oil.
Cleared the codes and 54C6 comes back.

Also have codes:
30 - Clamp 58g
140 - Clamp R
191 - IKE-EEPROM error, coding incorrect or incomplete

I think the 4x4 light is due to a bad wheel speed sensor or ABS module. I'm going to test the sensors this weekend.

Also getting an error when trying to read the AGS system in the Bavarian Technic tool. Says "Communications Error, Unable to connect to this module"
So I'm starting to think this means my AGS module is bad and needs to be rebuilt/reprogrammed or something. Been reading other posts here and sounds like a common thing.
Looking for any guidance on the Tshoot and where I should focus. Hopefully once I fix it that will help someone else.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2015, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Progress message:

A few days ago I re-read the codes and all same codes exist.
4x4 light still on.

I pulled all 4 tires off and cleaned the wheel speed sensors, they were pretty mucked up.
No change, still got the 4x4 light and that light only.

Checked the tire pressure with another new pressure gauge for about the 7th time, 32psi in the front, 33psi in the rear. No change.

Next step is to try and run thru the resistance testing on the wheel speed sensors. Having a hard time believing that its a sensor since I assume the diag codes would tell me if I had a bad sensor, isn't that the point of a ECU controlled system???

Harrumph!
Old 01-11-2015, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2004
4x4 light

change the servo mottor