Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 09-14-2014, 02:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 4.4i
Auxiliary Cable for 2006 BMW X5

Hi All,

I'm trying to install an auxiliary input in my 2006 X5 but I can't figure out what part I need or if it's even possible. When I take out the radio there doesn't seem to be anywhere to plug it in or any extra loose cables behind the radio. See photos. The radio model number is 65.82-6 914 608 and I have the BMW business CD. No navigation. All other cables I've looked in to either plug into the radio unit or into an unused cable behind the radio. Has anyone encountered this before? Suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	464440   Click image for larger version

Name:	image[2].jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	464441   Click image for larger version

Name:	image[3].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	464442   Click image for larger version

Name:	image[4].jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	464443   Click image for larger version

Name:	image[5].jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	464444  

Advertisement
Old 09-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 540i M-06 X5 4.4
the connection is on the back of the cd player, you have to pull it out, check on youtube for the connector to plug into, i had to unplug a connector that was there, im pretty sure it was the input from the bluetooth module
Old 09-15-2014, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0i
Going from memory...

There should be three pins on the adapter cable. Those pins need to be installed in the radio wiring harness. Your 1st picture shows the harness used...that harness unplugs from the back of the unit. I want to say there's a grey lever that locks the plug into the radio. Open that lever, then it unplugs.

There's different instructions for a 12 pin harness and a non-12 pin harness. You'll most likely have to remove the existing terminals in the plug itself (not being used), then push the pins on your adapter into these slots (I want to say pins 3, 4 and 10). This isn't "easy" and the instructions state using a connector tool to remove the terminals...but I was able to do this without the removal tool.

Then, it's a matter of if you did this all correct - the radio recognizing the addition, which for me took about 48 hours.

Last edited by bagdropper; 09-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 4.4i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagdropper View Post
Going from memory...

There should be three pins on the adapter cable. Those pins need to be installed in the radio wiring harness. Your 1st picture shows the harness used...that harness unplugs from the back of the unit. I want to say there's a grey lever that locks the plug into the radio. Open that lever, then it unplugs.

There's different instructions for a 12 pin harness and a non-12 pin harness. You'll most likely have to remove the existing terminals in the plug itself (not being used), then push the pins on your adapter into these slots (I want to say pins 3, 4 and 10). This isn't "easy" and the instructions state using a connector tool to remove the terminals...but I was able to do this without the removal tool.

Then, it's a matter of if you did this all correct - the radio recognizing the addition, which for me took about 48 hours.
Thanks for the info. I found an empty 12 pin slot on the back of the cd player and from the previous comment it appears that this is the slot for the aux. The recommended aux cable for my particular year and model has a 12 pin connector so I think I should be able to just plug it in there.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0i
Yep...just follow the instructions and you'll be fine. That's what I did.

I also mounted the jack in my ash tray. Works perfectly fine there with easy access.