Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-12-2013, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x3
Hi, the following guy (a fellow aussie of yours) gave me a link showing how to disable the rear section of my sunroof.
The fix works brilliantly and saved me nearly £2000 ($Aus4000).
Howard Thrift (eastcoastsun@optusnet.com.au)
Regards
Steve
Old 06-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Prometheus

Mein Auto: X5 e53 3.0i 2006
Sunroofs Agh!

These goddamn sunroofs. I have one on my 2006 and I am dreading the day when it no longer slides. Will turn it manually, then leave it closed until the car goes in the termination yard.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
Hey DF678 look above your own post the repair is there if not give me acall 0414312624 up in Brissie .
Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 PM
Lesmondo

Mein Auto: 2005 E53 X5 Diesel Sport
Big thanks to Howard @ East Coast Sunroofs. My 2005 X5 rear sunroof glass wa stuck up and would not allow me to use my sunroof. I downloaded Howard's instructions and gave it a go. It took 20 minutes ('cause I'm not very mechanical) and my sunroof now works perfectly. Only the rear glass will not vent now - who cares! Saved me over $4000!. Many thanks Howard you are a genius!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0d sport
Sunny has saved me soo much cash . When I get my arse over to the other side of the world I will treat you to a few beers. Hahahaha.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmcfly View Post
If you live in the Central Florida area email me and I can fix it. If you want to try the DIY modification yourself email me and I can send the info on the mod. This will get the rear glass to close permanently and the front glass to function normally.
I'm newly registered to the forum, and I'd love to see your fix! I'll email you.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x5
x5 shade stuck half way

I have the same sunroof issue but in addition my sun shade is stuck in the middle so I can't access the area for the fix. Is there any hope for me?
Old 10-09-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: RAM DIESELS
Fix Instructions Please

For Sunny43.5 /Please email Wuurbs@hotmail.com with Video and Repair procedure to reprogram my panoramic sunroof to disable the rear tilt function but allow all else to operate properly/ I have the 2004 x3 model/ Hope the fix still applies/ TIA Warren
Old 10-09-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
These goddamn sunroofs. I have one on my 2006 and I am dreading the day when it no longer slides. Will turn it manually, then leave it closed until the car goes in the termination yard.
That's exactly what I did!! This truck has been hell!¡
Old 11-03-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5X
Dear Howard
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I am new to this forum and have sort of come in by the back door as I purchased a BMW X5 at auction, when I was sent off by my wife to get a second hand Subaru Forrester. The price seemed right at the time and it certainly is a pleasure to drive, however it did have issues with the sun roof! I have understood some by reading your emails but still have a problem getting the front glass to go back so that I can make that mod on the side rails. I would be greatfull if you could email through the description for repair to nageyt@gmail.com.
Kind regards
Tony Egan
Goulburn
NSW
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Howard's repair made. Front glass only retracts halfway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
Dear Howard
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience. I am new to this forum and have sort of come in by the back door as I purchased a BMW X5 at auction, when I was sent off by my wife to get a second hand Subaru Forrester. The price seemed right at the time and it certainly is a pleasure to drive, however it did have issues with the sun roof! I have understood some by reading your emails but still have a problem getting the front glass to go back so that I can make that mod on the side rails. I would be greatfull if you could email through the description for repair to nageyt@gmail.com.
Kind regards
Tony Egan
Goulburn
NSW
I applied Howard's repair. There is a great YouTube video in two parts that shows how: is the first.

My front glass will not slide all the way back. The rear headliner had jammed was at a 45 degree angle. I was able to get it out. The roofs cycles, but the front glass stops halfway back. The rear glass has been disabled. Is it possible there are plastic pieces that are stopping travel?
The rear headliner needs new plastic pieces. The little plastic links to the front headliner need replacing. Anyone know where I can get them without paying for the entire kit?

I have been told I must remove the entire cartridge to put the rear headliner back. Is there way? I am truly lazy and will do it if I must. I would rather someone smarter than I tell me the trick.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hey sunny, just joined up cause I bought a 2nd hand X5 and as soon as I used the sunroof...bingo the back will not go down. Read your post and followed instructs to lower, thanks heaps as it was easy to do. Could you send the email you mention for a more perm fix. Cheers Michelangelo from down under
Old 11-06-2013, 04:25 AM

Hi Michael the more permanent fix is to replace the whole sunroof assembly as the parts that are required to repair the rear section are not available separately . There are repair kits for the front only and the sunshades etc but others are only available as a complete unit around $6000 to $8000 last time I checked then labor is on top allow 6 to 8 hours for the change over . So my advise leave the rear closed as you should have done and leave it at that only yourself and I will ever know so any future buyer will not notice , lets face it the rear part only tilts up and down so no big loss .
Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 530xiT (e61)
2004 BMW X5 Panoramic Sunroof - Faulty

My sunroof always throws a fault.

I reset and good for the day. But the next time I try to open it, it throws a fault.

Anyone have ideas why? What's the issue? What to chec?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Could you be more explicit with your "fault" that you mention , Have you done the reset exactly as described full open and close of glass and shades with out removing finger until the shades have closed as well .The roof should also close and open without getting stuck on any thing let us know .
Old 11-16-2013, 04:50 AM

Yes I do reset it properly.
As you said I turn on the car, hold the button, it goes through all the motions (tilts up, tilts close, lining moves back, glass moves back, glass closes, lining closes), lift finger.
Sometimes during the reset, it holds up and I have to start over, but eventually goes through it an gets reset.

I'm now am pretty much afraid of using the roof, because of the repeated issue.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:22 PM

Hi again I suspect that there is something else that is wrong maybe there is somethng in the tracks because as you say it holds up so that would indicate a problem have you tried some lubrication I recommend white lithium grease it is in a spray can , shake well before use open the roof right back and spray the tracks with a good dose run the roof a few times maybe once the roof is close and tilted spray some in behind the mechanisms from outside at the rear of the glass see if that seems to help beyond that I cannot offer much other information good luck . Howard
Old 11-16-2013, 07:53 PM

Tracks look clean. Ill lubricating them. Hope that will fix it.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: X3
highly recommend the quick fix, described elsewhere in the forum. Half an hour total job, with the dremel, trim off the offending broken plastic stops, reset the sunroof and good as new except the rear roof doesn't tilt - who cáres, no one would ever know.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8is and M3
X5 sun shields come apart :-(

Hi

New to the forum. I have just bought an x5 4.8is but the panoramic sunroof doesn't work :-(.

The rear sun shield has come away from the front section shield. There only appears to be one of the plastic clips. So questions are please.....
1. Should there be a plastic clip either side to attach rear to front sun shield?
2. Is it just these two clips that attach them?
3. Has anyone tried the metal non bmw clips I have heard are now available?
4. The glass panels do not move at all .... No motor sound or anything .... Is this just because the rear panel is not affixed?

Any pics available to show how to re fix the sun shields together greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
Old 01-10-2014, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: X5 e53 Diesel
Hi Sunny,

You saved me a bucket of money and I still have the pleasure of using the sunroof with literally 15 minutes work to complete it. Thank you so much and for everyone out there that has experienced the same issue. The process works and the wallet is full. Enjoy!!!

Regards,
Maba
Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Smile Please send FIX...

Can you Please send me the fix and photos or illustration to fix my sunroof...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hi again Edmonton , I can only guess what is wrong with the gap you mention if you had to prop up the front roof to get it level there are two possible answers first the roof may have to be reprogrammed but you should not do this until the back roof has been immobilised send me your direct email and I will send photos and instructions . After the modification you need to push and hold continuously the vent function that is push and hold the centre of the button , after about sixty seconds the roof will go through a reprogramming sequence do not let go of the button until its complete the roof shades will first move then they will slide back followed by the front glass sliding back and then closing the shades will then close only then should you remove your finger . Once complete the roof should operate as normal . The second answer is that the front glass locating screws may be loose and this is causing the glass to be lower than the rear . I would not adjust these screws until doing the mod as I suspect that programming is your problem . If after reprogramming the glass is still lower than the rear then check the rear locating screws they will be along each side towards the back on the inside . You can use these screws to adjust the height of the glass . Regards Howard
PS any one else with this problem please send me your direct email so I can send the fix direct to you with photos .
Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E61 525i
Hi,

For all of you having troubles with your 5 series or X3 or X5 sunroofs: This is my original (2011) modification with resetting instructions. I posted this on other BMW fora.
After this mod your sunroof will close and align properly.

Best regards.

TFH
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sunroof repair TFH_v2.pdf (454.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-28-2014, 05:22 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Turbo Diesel
Thanks for going to the trouble of putting that together and sharing your experience, FHOD.
I have been avoiding messing with my sunroof, as it was disabled by a BMW workshop at request of the previous owner. I believe they manually closed it and disabled the control by disconnecting the button.
I can not get the hex key to drive the roof open. It is stuck solid, and will not rotate even with extreme force. It feels like it will strip something if I apply any more force. Can anyone suggest whether this is normal, or if there is a mechanical lock somewhere for the override mechanism?
Old 02-28-2014, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i Executive E61
Ommadawn,

Best advice I can give you: let it be and keep it closed.
Probably the slidingmechanism is jammed and full of dirt now, because the roof has not been opened for a while.
If you apply too much torque, you probably will break the hollow motor/gearbox axle.
The motor has become useless anyhow in your case, but if you would be able to open the roof a bit, with a broken axle you also cannot close it anymore.
By the way: apparently BMW recognizes the sunroof problems, in all newer models (like F11) the rear section of the roof is a fixed type, only the front section can be opened.