Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-21-2011, 05:46 AM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
Hi again all from down under as some of you have sorted out your sunroof problems I would still suggest that you should reprogram your roofs after fixing as some of them will have gone into a default mode which will leave the front glass roof down a small amount . This is a common thing we even find even with our aftermarket sunroofs we fit which are made by Webasto who also make OE sunroofs for BMW Regards Howard [Australia ]
PS yes its normal for water to get past the seals it will drop into the side gutter area of the housing then run out the drain tubes which run from each corner down internally to the road .

Last edited by sunny43.5; 06-21-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Rear panel fixed closed.

I've now completed the procedure recommended by sunny43.5 and my rear penal is fixed closed. I've reprogrammed/re-initialized the controls and the front panel works without the rear panel moving.

The only issue I'm having now is when the front panel is in the closed position the right side is a little loose, the left side is tight (normal). The entire front panel is flush with the back panel but can be pushed upwards about a .5cm on the right side. This causes it to rattle when driving, you can see the movement while driving with the shade slid back. It even bounces up a little when closing the doors. However, when I put it in the vent mode it is solid (no movement, no rattle) in the up position.

Are there any adjustments I could make to tighten up the right side in the closed position?

Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: E53 3.0d
Hi Howard, thanks for emailing me your solution.

what in your opinion cause the failures, to much use , not enough use, are there lubrication points that are not being done, is it random or do they all eventually fail

and can it be prevented

Ewen
Old 06-22-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMunich View Post
I've now completed the procedure recommended by sunny43.5 and my rear penal is fixed closed. I've reprogrammed/re-initialized the controls and the front panel works without the rear panel moving.

The only issue I'm having now is when the front panel is in the closed position the right side is a little loose, the left side is tight (normal). The entire front panel is flush with the back panel but can be pushed upwards about a .5cm on the right side. This causes it to rattle when driving, you can see the movement while driving with the shade slid back. It even bounces up a little when closing the doors. However, when I put it in the vent mode it is solid (no movement, no rattle) in the up position.

Are there any adjustments I could make to tighten up the right side in the closed position?

Thanks
Hi again all from down under nice to see so many of you having a go at fixing your roofs .As for TMunich check the screws that hold the glass panel in place there are 3 torx screws on each side of the front glass the unfortunate part is they are behind a concertina style rubber cover and it can be a bugger to remove without splitting it , there are 3 locating clips at the bottom you need to remove the 3 clips which are attached to the bottom part of the rubber cover once removed you will see the screws check that they are tight if not tighten them and the movement should be gone , Other than that I am afraid that there may be something else thats broken and I don,t have a miracle cure for that , as it may require some expensive parts with heaps of labour to fit them , good luck and please let us know if you have fixed it one way or the other . Regards Howard
Old 06-22-2011, 01:58 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwave View Post
Hi Howard, thanks for emailing me your solution.

what in your opinion cause the failures, to much use , not enough use, are there lubrication points that are not being done, is it random or do they all eventually fail

and can it be prevented

Ewen
Hi Bigwave unfortunatley I don,t have an definitive answer other than because a large number of these sunroof parts are made from plastic they just break!!!! . I did read on another website somwhere that lubrication is one issue that can lead to failure apparently BMW reccomend that if your back glass does fail {like we have been experiencing} here on this thread they actuall say to replace the whole sub assembly as it wears and this causes the parts to break . I can tell you this that like most manufacturers they only make things these days with a short life span and as the sunroofs are on the top of cars they cop the most intense of the weather variations ie heat in summer and cold in winter which by the way would make the plastics hard and brittle . For us Aussies the heat would speed up the process of these parts ageing which could also lead to failure . Hope this helps Regards Howard
PS by the way guys I don,t even own a BMW so you lot are lucky that I have been asked to repair the sunroofs in them and was able to pass on what I know to you all . I drive VW Transporters we own 3 my son has a T4 and my work van is a T5 2.0 lt petrol and our family car is a 128kw 400nm torque T5 turbo diesel 6 speed triptonic . Shame they don,t make a BMW van maybe I would buy one if they did !!!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 AM

Mein Auto: E53 3.0d
thanks for the input
Old 06-22-2011, 05:29 AM

Stuck sunroof

[QUOTE=sunny43.5;6086247]Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open .

Whats your email address?

Last edited by Karlbushy; 06-22-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4L
Responding to Sunny43.5 earlier post
Hi again all from down under as some of you have sorted out your sunroof problems I would still suggest that you should reprogram your roofs after fixing as some of them will have gone into a default mode which will leave the front glass roof down a small amount . This is a common thing we even find even with our aftermarket sunroofs we fit which are made by Webasto who also make OE sunroofs for BMW Regards Howard [Australia ]
PS yes its normal for water to get past the seals it will drop into the side gutter area of the housing then run out the drain tubes which run from each corner down internally to the road .

Just joined forum today and would greatly appreciate receiving instructions regarding disabling/shutting rear section of moon roof.
I have same exact issues with rear section (front section and left side of rear section occasionally close, but right rear remains open).
Old 06-23-2011, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 3, 7, X5
So like everyone here I am having the same issue. I had it happen last summer and my dealer told me it would be about $4,100 to fix the problem without even looking at the car. (he knew this as soon as I told him what was wrong). At the time I had to pay a local mechanic to get my window to close. After talking to another dealership they told me to reach out to corporate since they will actually assist in coving the cost even if it is out of warranty. Well now I have. The customer service assistant manager (Anthony x 2594 @ BMWUSA) treated me very rudely and he would not give me his managerís name and contact. Long story short, I am looking to file a class action lawsuit against BMW to either file for a recall or assist owners. BMW has changed the timing clips from plastic to metal since THEY KNOW this is an issue. I am looking for how many others who are having this issue.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:36 AM

Hi! I was reading your post and am very interested in doing this repair that you found on my 2004 X5 that dissables the rear sun roof, I would really apritiate your assitance. If you could send me the instructions to my email at (tyzf@hotmail.com) Thank you very much in advance. If it works you are genious.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Hi Howard, would it be possible to email me the instructions to disable the rear sunroof please ? I would have emailed you directly, but as im new to the forum I am unable for the first 24 hrs ! Many thanks, Kate.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3 635 535 740il
Did you get it fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoelman View Post
I have an 2006 3.0 X5 and have a similar problem with the panoramic sunroof - the glass closed fine, but the rear panel does not come out of the back any longer. the front panel over the driver is in place, but the real panel that covers the passengers in the rear seats seems to be stuck. Same expensive thing told by the dealer to fix, and no warranty. bummer.

b
I have the sane problem how dud you solve the problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: X3 635 535 740il
Roof will not close

Quote:
Originally Posted by PissedOFFowner View Post
So like everyone here I am having the same issue. I had it happen last summer and my dealer told me it would be about $4,100 to fix the problem without even looking at the car. (he knew this as soon as I told him what was wrong). At the time I had to pay a local mechanic to get my window to close. After talking to another dealership they told me to reach out to corporate since they will actually assist in coving the cost even if it is out of warranty. Well now I have. The customer service assistant manager (Anthony x 2594 @ BMWUSA) treated me very rudely and he would not give me his managerís name and contact. Long story short, I am looking to file a class action lawsuit against BMW to either file for a recall or assist owners. BMW has changed the timing clips from plastic to metal since THEY KNOW this is an issue. I am looking for how many others who are having this issue.
I am will join in your class action suit RW
Old 07-06-2011, 03:10 PM

I have the same ptroblem and need your help please. Can you send me the steps. Thank you in advance.
guajaca@hotmail.com
Old 07-06-2011, 03:12 PM

I have the same problem on my X5

Can you help and send me the steps to fix the problem. Thank you in advance.
guajaca@hotmail.com
Old 07-07-2011, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Help Please

Hello Sunny43.5. Please email me the instructions for closing the rear roof. My email address is jeffrey.whitlock@gmail.com. I appreciate the help. Dealer told me $4,400 to replace the whole unit today.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMX X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hi Edmonton you can close the roof your self just sit in the back seat with blinds open look under the rear glass you will see a metal fitting which has a tapered end on the front like a ramp you will also see a small hole in it . All you need to do is use a screw driver to push this ramp reawards do each side a bit at a time as the ramp moves the glass will close . Now remember do not use the roof again as the first time you use the vent position it will push the glass at the rear back up again and to close you will have to do the procedure all over again . If you wish to do the repair I mention yourself please send me your email adress and I will send you the instructions and photos it only takes five minutes to do and afterwards you will still have a fully functioning front suroof panel which will slide and tilt along with the blinds working . The fix only disables the rear glass leaving every thing else working normaly without the rear one going up and staying up any more . Regards Howard
Thanks to Sunny43.5ís information I have the same problem for my 04 x5, could you please send me the fix with photos as well - david10whw@gmail.com

Thanks and appreciate for the helps.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 AM

Mein Auto: Too many Germans!
T!

Last edited by mpower510; 07-23-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Hi again Edmonton , I can only guess what is wrong with the gap you mention if you had to prop up the front roof to get it level there are two possible answers first the roof may have to be reprogrammed but you should not do this until the back roof has been immobilised send me your direct email and I will send photos and instructions . After the modification you need to push and hold continuously the vent function that is push and hold the centre of the button , after about sixty seconds the roof will go through a reprogramming sequence do not let go of the button until its complete the roof shades will first move then they will slide back followed by the front glass sliding back and then closing the shades will then close only then should you remove your finger . Once complete the roof should operate as normal . The second answer is that the front glass locating screws may be loose and this is causing the glass to be lower than the rear . I would not adjust these screws until doing the mod as I suspect that programming is your problem . If after reprogramming the glass is still lower than the rear then check the rear locating screws they will be along each side towards the back on the inside . You can use these screws to adjust the height of the glass . Regards Howard
PS any one else with this problem please send me your direct email so I can send the fix direct to you with photos .
Quote:
Hey there don,t panic if your X5 does develop the problem described it wont cost any thing other than five minutes of time to sort out , but if you go to BMW dealer then you will pay pay pay if you get them to try and fix it . Howard [Australia]

Howard can you email the fix to me - evabanaey@aol.com - I am German, but live in the USA for like the last 12 years and my sunroof won't close either - I only have this car for 6 weeks, but it seems it is more in repair stations then in my garage - thanks
Old 07-14-2011, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
I could use your help Sunny43.5

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hey Sunny43.5,
My dealer wants $600 just to close it and nothing will work on it ever again! I asked him if he could just disengage the back roof panel and still have the front working and he said that was not an option. The only other option was to fix it for $4700! Please can you send me your instruction for the fix. My email is ernieroyal@yahoo.com Thanks alot in advance Sunny43.5

Ernieroyal
Old 07-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Actually if there is anyone out there that can send me Sunny43.5's fix it is much appreciated. Please send it to ernieroyal@yahoo.com, thanks.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Hi Sunny! My BMW X5's rear panel stucked open. Please send me the picture. My email is orajti@msn.com. Thank you.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2004 3.0d
Hi,
I bought my 2004 X5 unseen on a trade auction back in 2007, and when I collected the car I found it had the problem of the rear nearside (RHD) part of panoramic sunroof staying slightly up and open. I worked out how to close it myself using a long screwdriver to push it backwards while pushing the control button back until it stopped in the right position. I can use the sunroof sliding back and forward but if I push the button to tilt then I end up with the problem again. I just remeber not to use the tilt, but my passengers are aware not to tilt!! :-)

I would be grateful if Sunny or someone else would please send me the fix to only disables the rear glass. Thanks brandon@tiscali.co.uk
Old 07-28-2011, 01:20 AM

Mein Auto: E61 525Da
Hello Sunny! My BMW 252das rear panel stucked open on the left side. member for 24h, can not email you.. Please help me, It will be much appreciated! cpdewal@mac.com . Thank you again for your help!
Or if anyone else have received the instructions, thank you much for forwarding to me, It is raining!!
Regards Christiaan, Brussels
Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 AM

Hi again all I have decided to post the repair for all to see , I don,t always check the actual website page so some will miss out on a reply . So here it is .
Regards From Howard
Hi there thanks for sending me your email . I have included two photos for you its really easy to fix the roof , just open the front roof {slide back ] look down from the top and you will see two plastic fittings one on each side remove the metal spring that you can see then the link arm will probably drop down just remove it and discard along with the spring , the next thing is the very front part of this plastic part is sort of triangular in shape . You only need to remove the front piece the first one I used a Fein saw the second one I just used a pair of side cutters much easier , once you have done this on both sides close the roof and make sure you have closed the rear one if its still vented just push the two wedge shaped fittings on the underside rearward and the back glass will close down . Then reprogram the roof press and continue to press the centre of the button for about 60 seconds the roof will then go through all its functions do not remove your finger until the roof closes and the blinds have finished closing , then all should be fine Regards Howard
PS if you only want to close the roof just push back the two ramp fittings inside under the rear glass , push them backwards a bit at a time each side you should then be able to close the front glass , remember not to use the roof again until you do the modification or you will have to reclose the rear glass again .