Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: E61 525Da
Genius!! I did as discribed above (roof was stuck in vent position, with the back half opened, but strangely enough I was able to close it when car was moving...)

followed steps above, repositioned the back part. after that all worked fine, did reset of the roof (60 seconds holding the button and let it run through all its setting, till all is closed) but roof didnt fully close (2 cm opening) took out rubbery wind protections (don't know what they are called) on the inside on the right and left when roof in vent position. closed the roof and slightly undid the four (2 on each side) trax screws. Pushed the roof up a bit, and retightened the 4 screws. Perfect now!!

Very happy! thanks a lot!!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
Great news glad to help you will probably find the reason that you had to adjust the front is that the rear panel may be ever so slightly still forward because its no longer connected to the front any way as long as its closed who cares eh ? Howard [Australia]
Old 07-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: E61 525Da
Or because I while ago I banged the @#$% out of it, out of frustration, when it was stuck, to try to close it. I can not recommend that approach.. :-)
btw, I was able to cut off the plastic parts (as described in your manual) with a very sharp bread knife :-) Sure people looking at me found me very professional, working on the roof, in my suit, in our parkinglot
Christiaan Brussels
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hey there don,t panic if your X5 does develop the problem described it wont cost any thing other than five minutes of time to sort out , but if you go to BMW dealer then you will pay pay pay if you get them to try and fix it . Howard [Australia]
Hi I am new on here, and I have the same sunroof problem and would be very grateful for details on how I can fix it.

Many thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 04:08 AM

Just look back on page 2 of this thread for full instructions Howard
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
I'm having the same problem. I've had the sunroof disabled because of the rain.
Anyone is the Central Florida area know of a place that can fix it without breaking the bank?
Old 08-10-2011, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: United Kingdom
I had the same problem on my used 2004 4.4i when I bought it privately, my (excellent) mechanic said that it was a common fault (even in Jersey 9 x 5 miles!) and would cost thousands to repair, he was able to disconnect the rear section a remove the plastic broken runners (its usually the rear part that's the problem I believe?)....the large sunroof now works perfectly and is large enough.....cost 55 labour, no parts!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:14 AM

Hi again every one for all the new BMers with X5 problems look back at page 2 for details and photos Howard [Australia]
Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 525 Touring
Same problem

I've got a 525i Touring 2004 with the same problem....
I'm going to email Sunny43.5 now....
Old 08-18-2011, 01:49 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Hello,
i`m having exactley that problem. Would you mind sending me the details of how to fix it. Had the car for 5 years and no problems until the other day when it suddenly stopped working.
Been quoted silly money to fix. e-mail is directfiltparts@aol.com

Thanks
Rick
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Hi Can you please send the instructions to mr_eid1@hotmail.com
- its killing me...
Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: bmx x5
Unhappy bmw x5 problem

Hi, Ive just bought an X5, rear part of the sunroof doesnt want to close. . Ive read various posts,but i cant afford to spend silly money getting this fixed. is the best option just not to use the sunroof?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Please check page 2 of this thread for details and photos . Howard
Old 08-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
X5 Sunroof

Hi sunny i have seen your thread, but there is no images

Can you send them to my email mr_eid1@hotmail.com

Thanks Mate
Old 08-31-2011, 03:14 AM

Mein Auto: E36 318i
X5 Panoramic Sunroof

Hi there, thought you all might like to know that I tried to buy a complete roof from BMW here in NZ and I was informed that the roof unit is no longer available!!!!! You can buy various parts to repair but I can not believe that a part for a 5 year old car is no longer available!!!! It was originally available from Germany but in the space of two weeks they must have sold their last one. I know that the roof can be made to close etc but for some they may have wanted the option to replace the roof and that is now no longer possible!!!! How long before the parts become obsolete???!!! Just FYI
Old 09-02-2011, 07:08 PM

need a bit of help

[QUOTE=Karlbushy;6146953]
Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open .

Whats your email address?
hi Karl, I have the same roof issues wit my x5. the dealer told me it was going to cost 4000 aud. could you probably help me by having a look whether there is a cheaper option. roof still opens and closes, but slows down towards the end. in addition, the button doesmnot work adequately and it seems sometimes confused. look forward to hear. michiel
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 AM

[QUOTE=bigmick;6295286]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlbushy View Post

hi Karl, I have the same roof issues wit my x5. the dealer told me it was going to cost 4000 aud. could you probably help me by having a look whether there is a cheaper option. roof still opens and closes, but slows down towards the end. in addition, the button doesmnot work adequately and it seems sometimes confused. look forward to hear. michiel
michiel.gilsing@vopak.com
Old 09-09-2011, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
I bought a BMW X3 2005 and have the "rear panoramic does not close" problem. Dealer can fix it by installing the repair kit, for 1600 Euro ($2000). I would rather close the rear part.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
With all these pano roof issues, I'm now very glad I missed this option by a mere 2 months (ordered and built on 02/04, pano roof was introduced on 04/04). I was so mad initially that I had missed this large pano roof, but now relieved that I missed it just in time. It appears that most of the issues are with the rear section only and doesn't look like BMW have a fix for it yet, even with these later models.

Last edited by dkl; 09-10-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 AM

It worked !!

I just did the mod sunny45.3 described. It works. ! One note, I did not wait 20 seconds before the init started so it did not init at all and then the roof does not work , then it only closes bit by bit. However after pushing the button long enough the init process started, went to all the settings and finnally closed. After that my roof worked !!! Thanks Sunny43.5
Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5
I have the same issue

Hello Howard I have got the same issue, you said I should send you my email address and you will inform me on how to dissable the second sunroof.

My email address is agmjiwa@hotmail and I hope to hear from you soon.

Thank You

AG

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Hello agmjiwa,

Sunny posted this already with pictures on the previous page see below , no email needed.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=50

Follow the instructions in Sunny's post.

Here I share some of my experience :

Open the sunroof (push button back so the large cover slides open and second the front glass roof slides open). Now you can stand in the back of your car and you have a good overview on where to operate. Removing the spring and link is easy. The more difficult part is the triangle shaped corner piece. Take your time to get this litte triangle shape plastic cut of, take a little saw , knife and/or pliers. It does not have to be 100% perfect. In my case it broke of and left some plastic which I removed piece by piece shaving it of with a little knife. Be carefull not use to much force nor damage the rails.
Note that the 2 pictures show to left side (first picture) and right side (second picture).
Old 09-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X5
Hey everybody. I just wanted to let everyone else who reads this that I fixed my sunroof today exactly as explained by sunny43.5. My sunroof now works except for the rear piece. Woot Woot.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: x-5 , clk430
x5 open roof

I have the same problem with my roof , the rear part stays open...I am going to try the solution that mr. sunny of australia porsted.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i sport
Panorama Sun Roof - Faulty

I had the passenger side manually closed permanently, and removed the fuse. It serve no purpose anyway. The front side still working perfectly. It only took my mechanic 45 minutes
which is $120 dollars instead of thousands to replace.