Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-14-2012, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x5
2004 bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmcfly View Post
If you live in the Central Florida area email me and I can fix it. If you want to try the DIY modification yourself email me and I can send the info on the mod. This will get the rear glass to close permanently and the front glass to function normally.
i am in west palm beach and i am having sunroof problems. can you repair the sunroof.? the shade will not work properly,
Old 05-15-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Melb

For anyone in Melbourne Australia that is either having problems with their roof of want to ensure they don't have in the future, I highly recommend a visit to Precision Sunroofs in Cheltenham.

Owen is a great guy who is more than reasonably priced and knows his stuff. Fixed my roof with 30 min.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 AM

my bmw 2004 x5 panoramic roof is not working properly. is thereany one out there reasonably price that can repair this sun roof, in south florida. this is my 2nd x5 and both were giving problems. are those panoramic roof defective, bmw need to have a recall on those. can any one help.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
i got my pano roof fixed, around 700$ labor, repair kit was 338 after taxes, and 1 of the motors was replaced 200, so all in all 1238$ and the pano rooff works awsome, b4 it was stuck with teh cardboard fully close and the glass in vent mode

iam in canada, bc, vancouver
Old 05-15-2012, 11:29 AM

bmw x5 panoramic roof repair

i need to know where did you get your roof repaired for less than $1400.. is it in florida.? i am in florida and i need mine repaired, can any one help.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:44 AM

bmw x5 panoramic roof repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hey there don,t panic if your X5 does develop the problem described it wont cost any thing other than five minutes of time to sort out , but if you go to BMW dealer then you will pay pay pay if you get them to try and fix it . Howard [Australia]
hi, what type of solution you have to this problem. i would be greatful if you can send me some information. thanking you in advance. ssimei4@yahoo.com
Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: 05' X5 E53 3.0i
I encountered the same problem and eventually disabled the rear roof as the interim fix.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 AM

find an experienced shop, rebuild kit was 338 after tax and the labor was 700, cost me xtra 200 cuz 1 of my motors was blown, total was less than 1300$ with 1 yr warrenty, now the roof is openeing and closing amazingly
Old 05-16-2012, 08:18 AM
#Like a Boss

Mein Auto: 535xi
When I had my X5 the sunroof leaked water all the time. I could never fix this. It was sad to have a luxury SUV with mold all over the carpets and it smelled like mildew.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:19 AM

wer ur drains clean???
Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
#Like a Boss

Mein Auto: 535xi
Originally I noticed the one in the passenger side pillar jumped out and was dumping th water directly into my dash. I fixed that and I still had problems in the back. Im pretty sure I did a good job cleaning them.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 AM

did u clean the little rubbers underneath the car by the jackpad points i think, there are 4 of them, the rubber could have been cloged underneath

if not then ur drains tubes could b pinched i guess
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 AM

Please contact me on 0414487899 in Brisbane ASAP willing to pay for help

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Please help my wife's x5 04 model sunroof same problem, rear roof won't close
Willing to pay to fix this problem , and have the sunroof working Again !
Based in Brisbane Australia
Call 0414487899
Old 05-20-2012, 08:14 PM

Thumbs up Finally fixed the sunnroof

Hi Sunny,

You sent me the details about the fix some 12 months ago. I have been putting of the doing the fixfor all this time, I guess in the hope that it would fix itself (no such luck). Even though I gave implicit instructions - to the Family- not to press the up button of the sunroof, it happened lots of times and I got tired of closing the sunroof manually (I got pretty good it it). Anyway I finally found enough courage to do the fix, too about 10 minutes, saved me about $2000 and it work like new - i don't miss the read panel not opening at all. So thank Sunny, I owe you a Beer.

Regards
Old 06-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: X5 E53
I want to thank sunny43.5 (Howard) for being here. He doesn't even own a BMW and still he comes in here with the salvation instructions to fix this MONSTROUS BMW shortcoming. I am in the market for an X5 4.8is and I was a bit nervous after seeing all the problems with the panoramic moon roof...but not after I saw your solution Howard. I would be perfectly content not venting that back glass panel as long as the front worked normally in every way. I will be keeping your instructions on my computer and I am moving forward with my research & purchase

Thanks so much Howard. You are a good & kind man. Bless you.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
Are you still in the central Florida area? My panoramic sunroof will not close
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM

FOLLOWING UP - QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE THAT DID HOWARD'S FIX...

Are you still working perfectly with just the main part of the glass? Does it open & close fully & flush / tilt up & down fully & flush / sunshield open & close fully all with no problems? Please post your experiences here for the MANY who still have this problem. Thanks

~ Joey
Old 06-07-2012, 10:04 PM

Sunroof

Yes, all works perfectly, except for the rear panel of course which is now permanently in the down position. If it was sold like that I would not know that there was something not working. I am happy with the result. It was easy, I used a serated stanley knife to cut the plastic bits on either side, Once I worked out what I was doing to what bits it was easy.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM

Cheers Karlbushy - thanks so much for the follow up!!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
BMW panoramic roof repair question - BimmerFest

Hi Howard. I am following up on some posts you made on the BimmerFest forum about a year ago related to BMW X5 panoramic roof repair (see your post below). I am having the same problem. Would you be able to email me the details of the fix/repair? My email is 1316woodbridge@gmail.com. Thanks, Jack

Quote:
Hi again Edmonton , I can only guess what is wrong with the gap you mention if you had to prop up the front roof to get it level there are two possible answers first the roof may have to be reprogrammed but you should not do this until the back roof has been immobilised send me your direct email and I will send photos and instructions . After the modification you need to push and hold continuously the vent function that is push and hold the centre of the button , after about sixty seconds the roof will go through a reprogramming sequence do not let go of the button until its complete the roof shades will first move then they will slide back followed by the front glass sliding back and then closing the shades will then close only then should you remove your finger . Once complete the roof should operate as normal . The second answer is that the front glass locating screws may be loose and this is causing the glass to be lower than the rear . I would not adjust these screws until doing the mod as I suspect that programming is your problem . If after reprogramming the glass is still lower than the rear then check the rear locating screws they will be along each side towards the back on the inside . You can use these screws to adjust the height of the glass . Regards Howard
PS any one else with this problem please send me your direct email so I can send the fix direct to you with photos .
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Jack,
Howard's repair is posted already on the bottom of page 2 of this thread (with pics)
Old 06-13-2012, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 is
BMW X 5 panoramic sunroof

Hallo and welcome all.
Iím happy about sunroof. I make it buy myself and everything works.
I use sunnyís posted photos and itís really easy to fix the BMW X 5 panoramic sunroof.
Thanks a lot
Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Turbo Diesel
Hey Sunny,
Thanks for going to the trouble of pointing us in the right direction to fix the pesky sunroof bug.
I was hoping to start on mine, but got stuck at the first hurdle. When I bought the car, the vendor mentioned that a dealer had cranked the roof closed for him, and disconnected the control button to prevent accidental opening.
I have tried inserting the hex key crank to reopen the roof, but it is solid. Wont turn either way at all. Which way is open, CW or CCW?
I applied max force, but feel something will break if I apply any more force. Am I missing something? Will the crank open the roof, or is it only for closing? I am hesitant to reconnect the button just yet, until I can get the panels at least sliding manually.
Cheers
Frank
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4i
I'm having the same problem with my 2004 x5 pana sunroof, need help to know how to close the rear that's stuck open.....can someone help me.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utes View Post
I'm having the same problem with my 2004 x5 pana sunroof, need help to know how to close the rear that's stuck open.....can someone help me.
Read the thread. It's in there.