Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Turbo Diesel
Hi Utes,
Check out post#50
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=50
Its no good to me as I cant get the roof open with the crank. If you manage to operate the crank ok can you let me know if it works both ways or only to close the roof?
Cheers from downunder.
Frank
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny43.5 View Post
Hi Edmonton you can close the roof your self just sit in the back seat with blinds open look under the rear glass you will see a metal fitting which has a tapered end on the front like a ramp you will also see a small hole in it . All you need to do is use a screw driver to push this ramp reawards do each side a bit at a time as the ramp moves the glass will close . Now remember do not use the roof again as the first time you use the vent position it will push the glass at the rear back up again and to close you will have to do the procedure all over again . If you wish to do the repair I mention yourself please send me your email adress and I will send you the instructions and photos it only takes five minutes to do and afterwards you will still have a fully functioning front suroof panel which will slide and tilt along with the blinds working . The fix only disables the rear glass leaving every thing else working normaly without the rear one going up and staying up any more . Regards Howard
can you please send me the info @ asfkhan1@verizon.net
i'm having the same problem and would like to disable the rear glass
so i can use the front portion of the sunroof.

thanks
franky
Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Hi Sunny can I have the instructions on how to troubleshooting Pano sunroof for X5 ASAP
Old 06-24-2012, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
My email Jadesmith0128@yahoo.com....THX
Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Your Fix for X5 sunroof: Would love your fix to disable rear panel of sunroof? TY

I have the same problem with the left side of the rear panel of the sunroof stuck in vent position. I would appreciate your instructions for to permanetly disable the back panel.

thanks!

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Sunroof fix for rear panel of x5

Howard,
the rear panel of my sunroof on my 2008 x5 is stuck in the vent position on the left side.
would love instructions to permentely diable the rear panel.

My e-mail is scalzbizz@gmail.com

Many Thanks!
Matt

Quote:
Hi all from down under , I have spent 30 years plus working with sunroofs and only recently did I figure out how to solve the malady of the X5 sunroofs being stuck open . DO not spend the ridiculous money that dealers and the like want to rob you of , the fix that I have discovered is so simple it that I am surprised it hasn,t been disclosed before . First thing to point out here is that the repair will render the rear part of your sunroof totally inoperable , what I mean is that you can still use your shades and slide the front glass open and tilt the front glass but the rear will remain permanently closed . Obviously if there is any other problems with your roof other than the rear stuck open this will not help. As a newby on this forum I will not disclose the fix in public if you wish to find out please feel free to contact me and send me your email so I can send the photos and details . The fix can be done by any one with some simple home tools and believe it or not takes no more than five minutes to do . Howard
Old 07-01-2012, 11:08 AM

bmw x5 paronamadak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfactors View Post
Hi, please can anyone help? I have a 2004 X5 with an electric panoramic sunroof. The rear roof is faulty and only opens slightly but then doesn't close at all. This stops the front roof closing and I have to use the manual winding tool and then push the rear roof raising arms back manually to shut the roof. As soon as I touch any button for the roof it goes straight back to the same position. Any ideas please?? Many thanks.
can someone help me i got x5 with paronamadak but it would not closes that small one at the back stays open. and the front on goes down and up again
Old 07-07-2012, 04:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
X5 panorama sunroof - message to sunny43.5

Hi Howard - ditto all posts on this thread. I would be extremely grateful if I could email you to obtain instructions. Can you advise how I do that as new to forum? Many thanks.
mamabird999
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: Sorry VW,s
Hello from down under again winter time sunroof time , but I digress for all you late comers to this thread the repair with photos is on page 2 of this thread scroll down to the bottom instructions and photos are there for all to use as reference Regards Howard , Qld Australia
Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Angry 2006 X5 Panoramic sunroof

My sunroof also stopped working and after I was able to close it manually with the wrench except for 3-4inches. Now it seems as if the screw is now stripped. What else can I do to prevent a trip to the dealership?!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x5
Message to sunny43.5

Hey Howard - you are the best! Thank you so much.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Thannks Howard now I have to find someone who won't charge me an arm and leg to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 4.8is
300$ rebui\d kit, 700 \ab0r
1 year warranty
g0t mine rebui\t

stea\er wanted 5600$
Old 07-22-2012, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: X5diesel
Sunroof leaks and failures

Guys, I purchased a 2004 x5d 9 months old with 20k on the clock and dealer warranty. My second BMW, first was a brand new 99 318is. First car had issues hence the used one second time around. The x5 has had a few issues but nothing major bar the sunroof. At 2 years and 2 weeks the front passenger compartment was a swamp. The fault was the webasto made OEM sunroof. When you hear the "popping" sound or vacuum when opening the roof to the "vent" position you are taking a risk. I used it thinking it was normal, not so. The rubber guided around the roof has picked up dust etc and the opening and closing applied lateral forces to the side rails and the alloy frame of the panorama roof failed, hence the flooding. To the previous poster in NY, you may, like me have had a cracked sunroof rail letting in water. The fix is a new roof. Dealer told me 4k back in 2006-7. After BM melb made some calls BM Aust did it for 2k. Stood in the workshop and saw it for myself. Scary job. Easy to get wrong. Parts cost only were applied to me so they said. The job is massive, the entire roof headliner had to be removed along with the carpet as it was soaked. Recent conversations with my insurer reveal that their costing from BMW list a w/sale cost of 1500 for insuarance purposes. Regardless you don't want this item to fail.

As an earlier posters mechanic said prior, use lube. I have used use Rocol SIlicone grease on the sunroof every time it gets washed since circa 06 and have had no problems since I dropped the 2k, never got told by BMW, never seen it in a forum or manual. I am a tech of 25 yrs and I have found the best practice is 10 dollars of preventative maintenance via a non reactive rubber grease or equivalent. It may be that lubricated rails could reduce the large qty of rear roof failures. I have never had an issues since I replaced the original roof and the thought of doing it again is scary. I would try it out as I have had my roof out and its 10 bucks. Hopefully this saves some of you guys your cash.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:40 AM

The prices you quoted here in Australia are way out of the park today , I recently replaced a whole unit that was sourced through a used car warranty claim . The cost of the whole unit is closer to $6500 plus fitting and thats around 6 hours . I have also replaced various parts in the X5 series and they are a bloody nightmare the plastic are the main problem as they become brittle with age and no amount of lubrication will slow down the inevitable failure . As I work on sunroofs every working day I see this problem more and more as the cars get older , the plastic parts just don,t stand up to the summer heat and they are out in the sun for 8 plus hours a day and they just get cooked . replacing a whole roof is fairly easy as its a whole component so you are not working with the internals . If you have to dismantle the roof to replace certain parts that BMW sell there is around a 90% chance that some other component will break while dismantling the roof , usually the parts are only held together by the fact that they are held in the tracks , remove them and you end up with lots of parts in pieces. The interconnection of the parts is a nightmare the sunshades are driven partly by nylon cord and if one part of these breaks its goodnight Irene . 42 years experience with sunroofs has taught me to treat these things with kid gloves and s&*t loads of respect .
Old 07-22-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOT77 View Post
Thannks Howard now I have to find someone who won't charge me an arm and leg to fix it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry to hear your particular problem its the old story the manual key is for only closing the roof in the event of power failure . If you try and use the key to close a sunroof that something has jammed or broken on its only going to lead to tears as you will only force the roof to jam against whatever is causing the problem in the first place and because the sunroof parts are predominatly made of plastic which get brittle with age it will just stop dead until it breaks or as you have found stripped the allen key opening in the back of the motor . Now the other problem I find just about every day with sunroofs is no matter what workshop manual you have they are all written to allow dismantling ONLY if the bugger is still working they do not tell you how to dismantle it when its broken . I usually remove the glass so I can see down into the mechanisms if lucky the problem can be seen and a work around done .
Old 07-24-2012, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5
The solution that you guys offered worked perfectly, thanks a lot
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: porsche
sunroof fix

Could you please send me the fix as well?

many thanks

Patrick
Old 08-06-2012, 02:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMWX5
sunny 43.5 thanks for the info took me about an hour and i just paid myself at least $ 4500, works just like you explained .Cheers and thanks again.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: X5 2005
Sunny, 2005 X5 moonroof issue. I did what you said with the screwdriver and it worked like a charm, thanks! Now if I give you my email, can you send me the stesp to have this issue fixed? I've dumped so much dough already into this car...i go back and forth with keeping and getting a VW vanogan!

inspiration52384@yahoo.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!
gr9900
Old 08-26-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: bmw X5 4.4
Quote:
Hi again all from down under as some of you have sorted out your sunroof problems I would still suggest that you should reprogram your roofs after fixing as some of them will have gone into a default mode which will leave the front glass roof down a small amount . This is a common thing we even find even with our aftermarket sunroofs we fit which are made by Webasto who also make OE sunroofs for BMW Regards Howard [Australia ]
PS yes its normal for water to get past the seals it will drop into the side gutter area of the housing then run out the drain tubes which run from each corner down internally to the road .
can I get the instruction to fix the panorama sunroof and to reprogram it. Thanks!
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 3.0
Hi my name is Gary
I have a 2005 bmw x5 3.0
My rear sunroof glass is stuck in the open position, I have tried to reset and it does not work.
Maybe you can help.

Thank You,
Gary
Sracerinc@yahoo.com

Last edited by Sracerinc; 09-08-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Hi Howard (sunny43.5),

Just had this happen on my UK 53 reg X5. Please could you email the fix to hell43@hotmail.com

Many thanks,
Old 09-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: X5 & 530i
Panaramic sunrooff issues

2004 X5 same issues with roof, won't close from the vent position.

Any help appreciated.

Thx
Old 09-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Smile kam