Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 535i
Thinking? 1986 535i but it has issues...

Love the Internet! Great web site!
Found a 1986 535i with a 5 speed manual transmission and 148,000 miles within my price range (less than 2k). Took it for a test drive the other day and it seemed to run out well, no shakes or shimmies, good acceleration. All the electrical stuff works (windows, seats, mirrors). Never having driven a BMW before, it's all new and exciting to me. Iím going back to take a closer look at it and am looking for some advise to diagnose what I found on my first visit? Or should I forget this one and keep looking?

The exhaust sounds a little louder than what it should.
The ďCheckĒ light between the turn signals is flashing (can I get the codes without spending any money?).
ABS light is on.
The brake light is on (above the rear view mirror).
Radio is showing ďCODEĒ on the display panel.

Iím putting it up on ramps to check the under side (exhaust, ect.) and will go through all the fluid checks looking for signs of trouble with the engine, radiator. Also, checking to see if the blower fan brings in the sweet smell of anti-freeze. Iím willing to put time and money into getting another 150k on the odometer, but I donít want to spend more time under the hood than behind the wheel. It appears from what Iíve read here that these automobiles have that potential.

Thanks in advance for your assistance,
Sprinks
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw 535i
keep searching on the site. there are common issues. cracked brake pedal bracket, leaky brake boosters, steering linkage stuff is worn. all in all i have one and i love it. best car ever. but it's kinda a hobby working on it.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
OK, I'll go through the items in the same order as you did.
1- Either an aftermarket or the exhaust has a hole in it (ask me how I know!)
2- In order to get the "check" light to stop blinking, look at the active check panel on the headliner (above the rear view mirror) and press the "check" button. The remaining lit LED's are telling you that those systems need to be "checked" There are no "codes" on these cars since they are pre-OBD systems. The brakes led will go off when you step on the brakes (if everything else is ok), it just forces you to step on the brakes to test them. It will tell you if you are low on oil (1 quart), windshield washer fluid, coolant, burnt headlight, brake light, tail light or license plate light. (I don't remember anything else!)
3- If ABS light is, on it means that the system is disabled possibly due to residue buildup on the sensors or rusted signal rings (the rear ones are exposed and tend to rust) The ABS brain is in the glove box right above the engine control unit (ECU) and it could have been unplugged also.
4- This probaby means a burnt bulb or dirty/incorrect bulbs installed. Easy fix (clean up conections and make sure that the bulbs are the "silver" base type, not brass).
5- Radio has been without power and resets (theft deterrent). If current owner dosen't have the code to enter and reset it, you will need to remove the radio and take it to a dealer in order for them to retrieve the code. You might get charged for this so is probably a good idea to just put a new unit in (rewire all your speakers if you do so since the stock wiring is using the car body as "ground" and is just using two channels to split them into four.

These cars are great and very fun to drive so enjoy!
Old 05-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
OK, I'll go through the items in the same order as you did.
1- Either an aftermarket system or the exhaust has a hole in it (ask me how I know!)
2- In order to get the "check" light to stop blinking, look at the active check panel on the headliner (above the rear view mirror) and press the "check" button. The remaining lit LED's are telling you that those systems need to be "checked" There are no "codes" on these cars since they are pre-OBD systems. The brakes LED will go off when you step on the brakes (if everything else is ok), it just forces you to step on the brakes to test them. It will tell you if you are low on oil (1 quart), windshield washer fluid, coolant, burnt headlight, brake light, tail light or license plate light. (I don't remember anything else!)
3- If ABS light is, on it means that the system is disabled possibly due to residue buildup on the sensors or rusted signal rings (the rear ones are exposed and tend to rust) The ABS brain is in the glove box right above the engine control unit (ECU) and it could have been unplugged also.
4- This probaby means a burnt bulb or dirty/incorrect bulbs installed. Easy fix (clean up conections and make sure that the bulbs are the "silver" base type, not brass).
5- Radio has been without power and resets (theft deterrent). If current owner doesn't have the code to enter and reset it, you will need to remove the radio and take it to a dealer in order for them to retrieve the code. You might get charged for this so is probably a good idea to just put a new unit in (rewire all your speakers if you do so since the stock wiring is using the car body as "ground" and is just using two channels to split them into four).

These cars are great and very fun to drive so enjoy!