Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 05-18-2008, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: A multitude of cars
DIY: Code P1423 - Secondary Air Injection Bank 1 flow too low. Lots of detailed pics

I hope that this will help people here. I got the check engine light and went to Autozone. The code was p1423 (Secondary Air Injection Bank 1 flow too low). So i did started to search and do some research. could not find much, but through time and effort, i was able to deduct some things. below is how and what i did in order to find/fix the problem. This is on a 1998 BMW Z3. I am sure it will help with all BMW to help understand the code.

Tools

1-Ratchet with 10mm and 1/2
2-flathead screwdriver
3-pliers
4-metal brush
5-WD40
6-throttle body cleaner
7-small connectors from battery to pump

Engine parts

1-Shut off, (or also called control valve) valve

2-Secondary air pump

[IMG]http://img.**************/PRO-F/W01331598414APG.JPG[/IMG]
FYI. In this pics, you are also seeing the bracket that you bolt to the car.

3-Vacuum line

4-Air pump hose

Ok here we go.

First check the vacuum line that goes to the control valve. After time, it may be brittle and not functioning. follow it from the control valve to the other end. FYI, you will be removing this.

Also check the Air pump hose, this will be removed later.

and the air filter hose, this will be removed later.

Now remove all the hoses that I just showed above.
we will work on the control valve.

You will use the 10mm socket, and flathead screwdriver for now.
remove the 3 nuts as shown in pic

Remove control valve from motor and you will also see that it is connected to another hose. remove that hose too. Its easy, just use the flathead here.

in the last pic with th 2 rings and hose, you will notice that you can clamp them back together. that is what the pliers are used for.

Next, and do this on the grass or some place than you dont care about staining the ground, I spent hours trying to clean my driveway, but I did get it out. Anyway, take the throttle body cleaner and clean out the control valve from both end. you will get a lot of dark liquid come out.

The control valve will open and close and that is what the vacuum line is used for. so you should not have any liquid run through the valve. it should be closed.

You may also want to remove the bracket to the valve. there is a gasket that you will most likely want to replace. $6.50 at the BMW parts place. Part number will be in one of the pictures.

after the cleaning

Also, but this is not from and official statement from a BMW service rep, but unofficially it did, so it will be up to you to decide, but i sprayed a little WD40 in there for lubrication.

Next, clean the ends from the bracket to the control valve and assemble those pieces. Don't forget the gasket.

the gasket

now just reassemble everything and put it back on the car.

next post we will look at the Secondary air pump
Advertisement
Old 05-18-2008, 01:22 PM

On to the secondary air pump.

You will need the flathead screw driver and 1/2 socket

May want to check the relay switch to make sure its good. here it is on my car. remember 98 Z3.

remove the clamps and rubber tubes along with the throttle body

Their will be 3 or 4 nuts to take off. remove those and disconnect the connector at the bottom of the air pump. remove pump.

Once it is off, open the bottom, now the one that you are looking at is mine and it is broken, but i will you it for the pic. there will be a + and - for the power of the motor. get the battery connectors and test it. it should turn on, whereas mine did not.

next, i will show you what I did to fix the problem.

Last edited by jaspendlove; 05-18-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:42 PM

A new secondary air pump will cost you around $300-$330. maybe a little cheaper with a good search. Well here is something that may cost a lot less. lucky me, my friend had a secondary air pump form a VW. So go check out a salvage yard/pick and pull for VW's. I am sure you will have agreater change of finding one of those than a BMW. Its the same thing, just the connector on the bottom is different. We took the bottom off the VW pump and switched it with the BMW pump. You will need to cut one of the wires on the VW pump and connect it to the BMW wire so that they will fit to the + and - of the pump
when mounted the air intake port points the wrong way. Also the connector for the air pump to the control valve is different.

Mounted the air pump, found a hose that would fit on the end of the air pump and ran it to the control valve. put electrical tape on the end of the hose and put it in the hole of the valve. then put electrical tape around it for a night clean look and hold.

next since the hose from the air intake box wont reach, I just capped it off for the time being and left the hole on the air pump open. I needed to drive for about 100 miles.

The check engine light did not come on at all during the travel home. Whereas, in the past, it would have come on within the first 15 to 50 miles.

Drove it today to finish getting the parts for it and still no light.

Went to checker and got a hose, goodyear part number should be visible and a radiator connector kit. I put the two hoses together and put it together. I did need to cut the new hose a little to make it fit.

I hope this help everybody understand what they may need to do or look for with this issue.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 323
Need to locate the pictures

I have the same issue and I was hoping that someone knows where I can find the missing pictures for the step by step instructions on how to fix the problem.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 z3, 1.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I have the same issue and I was hoping that someone knows where I can find the missing pictures for the step by step instructions on how to fix the problem.
Me too, me too!

Anybody got pics of the Secondary Air pump? The throttle body cleaning process would also be nice.

Thanks,
-d
Old 06-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323
Secondary Air Pump

Someone sent me a picture. I plan to take it to a mechanic soon. Does anyone know of a good BWM mechanic in the San Diego/La Mesa area that's resonable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	location-1.JPG
Views:	2175
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	234510  
Old 06-15-2010, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 z3, 1.9
Secondaru Airpump Rebuild thread.

Thanks!

This might be helpful too. Secondaru Airpump Rebuild thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=402816