Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-20-2008, 09:57 AM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Cincinnati
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
DIY - Various Interior Trim Removal

I figured I would have one thread that dealt with the removal of various interior trim. I will post updates to the thread as I take more off my car.


Removing trim around shift boot

Remove the shift knob and shift boot.



With the shift knob and boot removed, remove the trim by pulling up. There are a few clips holding it in place.




Removing Door Handle Trim

The Door handle trim pieces are held in place with the same clips as the shift boot surround trim.



To remove the trim, begin at the bottom of the trim. I was able to remove by pulling the trim off, you may want to use an Interior Trim Tool to un-dock the connectors.



Slowly work your way up the trim releasing the 5 clips. You do not need to pull very hard, just enough to release the clip then move on to the next one.





Removing the Dash Trim



The Dash Trim is held in place with what I call the BMW straight clips. They are basically spikes that mate with a female plug on the dashboard.

Begin at the outboard point and use the Interior Trim Tool to un-clip the first clip. Work your way toward the Driver Side using the same precautions that you used on the Door Trim.










HVAC Console Trim Removal

The HVAC trim and the lower section that holds the heated seat switch bay is one piece. The line that you may think is designating where the trim is 2 pieces, is just for cosmetics.

To remove the HVAC Console Trim, begin on the lower edge. Use an Interior Trim Tool to undock the 2 clips along the bottom edge. Do not pull the trim out too far. You will create stress on the trim and it can break. You can see int he below picture where it is starting to stress. With the lower clips un-docked, move along each side releasing the 2 clips per side with the Interior Trim Tool.




Interior Trim Removal Tool

The Eastwood Company sells a nice set of Interior Trim Tools. They are plastic shims of different sizes, angles and shapes that allow you to carefully separate interior trim.
__________________


Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
ARC///M's Avatar
ARC///M ARC///M is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chesnee,South Carolina 29323
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 975
Mein Auto: BMW 01 M Rdstr 00 M Coupe
Great Andy

Hey my car was built on 5/14/08 taken delivery @ plant soon!Will need to set some options in play at Homecoming I spoke with my contacts the tii will be out by the end off 09 so were told,I am thinking trade?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
jeffng65 jeffng65 is offline
Registered User
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 34
Mein Auto: MCS, 135i, F348ts SS
Thanks Andy! As soon as I get my 135i I'm hoping to trade out for brushed aluminum trim if I can keep the cost down.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2008, 01:21 PM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,641
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Andy, do you have any experience with door panels?

I'd like to know if the middle part of the panel, the one that's upholstered in the same color/material as the seating surfaces, can be removed. My aim is to purchase Euro-only cloth seat covers, but if I want everything to match up, I'd better figure out a way to re-upholster the specific part of the panel (or swap it, if it's a separate part).

Thanks...
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Cincinnati
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Andy, do you have any experience with door panels?

I'd like to know if the middle part of the panel, the one that's upholstered in the same color/material as the seating surfaces, can be removed. My aim is to purchase Euro-only cloth seat covers, but if I want everything to match up, I'd better figure out a way to re-upholster the specific part of the panel (or swap it, if it's a separate part).

Thanks...
I will be removing the door panels soon. My plan is to replace the center insert with Montego Blue Leather. I will be doing this when I get the LEDs to illuminate the door handles. I will post a how to when I do it.
__________________


Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,641
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I will be removing the door panels soon. My plan is to replace the center insert with Montego Blue Leather. I will be doing this when I get the LEDs to illuminate the door handles. I will post a how to when I do it.
Please post it, that will be interesting...

I was able to locate various part numbers for BMW cloth upholstery sold by the yard - the price was estimated between $140-180 per running yard. I'm thinking of ordering Black Leatherette or Leather, purchase the cloth and take it all to an upholstery shop to replace the seat center panels with cloth.

BTW, do you guys do this sort of work? Cincinnati is not really that far away...
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 PM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Cincinnati
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Please post it, that will be interesting...

I was able to locate various part numbers for BMW cloth upholstery sold by the yard–the price was estimated between $140-180 per running yard. I'm thinking of ordering Black Leatherette or Leather, purchase the cloth and take it all to an upholstery shop to replace the seat center panels with cloth.

BTW, do you guys do this sort of work? Cincinnati is not really that far away...
BMW stopped selling material by itself. What was the number for the Leatherette?
__________________


Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,641
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
BMW stopped selling material by itself. What was the number for the Leatherette?
Perhaps in Europe they still do - I selected an Euro model over at realoem.

In any case, I found many numbers... I used this: E46 -> Sedan -> 330i -> 12/2004 -> M54 -> Left -> Browse Parts -> 52 Seats -> 52 60 Upholstery Code and Material -> Cover Material, running meter diagram:

FOR VEHICLES WITH
VINYL LIGHT BEIGE 2 K4HC=YES
01 IMITATION LEATHER HELLBEIGE 51928248028 $154.01

FOR VEHICLES WITH
IMITATION LEATHER/BLACK K4SW=YES
01 UPHOLSTERY IMITATION LEATHEAR SCHWARZ 51928153518 $154.01


I used a similar approach for the E46 330i/M3 and E90 330i to obtain some part numbers for all sorts of upholstery styles. If nothing else works, I'll call the big dealer in Munich, ask for the parts department and feed him some part numbers to see if he can get them and what the cost might be.

If you do find a way to order from the USA, or if you start offering some cloth options, please let us know. There were many people interested in cloth or cloth/leather upholstery, particularly for the 1 series.
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Cincinnati
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
When you order leather, it gets bumped from the order. I ordered some of the leatherette and will see if I get it.

I did remove a door panel (which weighs 15-20lbs easy–They could have made this car a lot lighter with a minimum amount of work). The center section is not easily removable. It looked like the center part has 1" long plastic stalks that go through the door panel and then get melted on the backside of the panel to lock it in place. Taking that portion out won't be an issue, but putting it back in will. I will play around with it when I get the time. I think an easy way to swap that piece out would be to remove the section and use a thin material that will conform to the contour. Then have captive bolts that run through the material and when installed, you would secure the piece with washers and nuts from the back side of the door panel. On the finished side, build it up with some cotton badding and then cover in the material.

Not sure if that makes sense.
__________________


Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-10-2008, 08:09 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,641
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I think an easy way to swap that piece out would be to remove the section and use a thin material that will conform to the contour. Then have captive bolts that run through the material and when installed, you would secure the piece with washers and nuts from the back side of the door panel. On the finished side, build it up with some cotton badding and then cover in the material.

Not sure if that makes sense.
Makes sense. I thought the piece was going to be mounted like this when I realized you cannot order it separately, just the entire door panel.

I was thinking of removing the piece, stripping it, drilling holes where the plastic prongs used to be, and then use the bolt method as you suggest. I'll go to my HW store and see of the have some bolt with a very thin head, something like the galvanized roofing nails.

The more I look into this, the more it seems it may just not be worth it. Perhaps I should just order the black leather and then have an upholstery shop replace the center pieces with cloth/Alcantara and just forget about the door and side panels...
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 AM
AndyM's Avatar
AndyM AndyM is offline
Suede Master
Location: Cincinnati
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,409
Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Makes sense. I thought the piece was going to be mounted like this when I realized you cannot order it separately, just the entire door panel.

I was thinking of removing the piece, stripping it, drilling holes where the plastic prongs used to be, and then use the bolt method as you suggest. I'll go to my HW store and see of the have some bolt with a very thin head, something like the galvanized roofing nails.

The more I look into this, the more it seems it may just not be worth it. Perhaps I should just order the black leather and then have an upholstery shop replace the center pieces with cloth/Alcantara and just forget about the door and side panels...
I was going to replace the center section with Montego Blue leather. I may start on one of the rear panels to minimize the expense if it does not work out. I don't see any reason why it won't work though. There may be some hiccups along the way, but I think it will work.
__________________


Follow us on Facebook for news and current promotions

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms