Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 05-09-2003, 03:48 PM
blah

Mein Auto: 03 330i
Who sells your phone number when you buy a house?

We bought a house in January and I'm blown away by the number of local companies calling and trying to sell us things. They obviously know we're new homeowners because it's everything from chimney cleanings to alarm systems. I've rented for many years and never had it like this, so it's probably not the phone company. I'm guessing mortgage company.

I know how to deal with telemarketers (saying "please put me on your do not call list" shuts them up pretty quick), unlike my wife who always has a 10 minute conversation with them explaining exactly why she prefers not to have their product. . but I'm just blown away at how many different companies are calling. We also got every possible piece of junk mail (US mail) you could think of, welcoming us to our home, offering coupons etc.

We thinking of getting rid of our home phone. Anyone else do this? We each have a cell phone and the only person that ever calls our our home phone is telemarketers. Even if we change our mind and have it reconnected for $50 or so, it will pay for itself it we leave it disconnected for more than 2 months.
Ads by Google
Old 05-09-2003, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
https://www.nynocall.com/index.html
Old 05-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Hey, for the junk mail stuff and ESPECIALLY if they include a postage-paid envelope, stuff all the extra coupon garbage into the envelope and mail it back to them! It actually costs them more to mail this than a regular 37 cent stamp and they can deal with tossing the junk mail. See how they like it!

Chris
Old 05-11-2003, 01:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Broom
Change your home phone number and don't give it to anyone ... give your cell phone where they can leave you messages ...

As for the home address ... forward everything to a PO Box ... after 6 months ... your home address ceases to exist unless you reactivate your home address for whatever reason ... Put your PO Box on everything including your driver license or checks ...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 05-11-2003, 06:44 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabrina

As for the home address ... forward everything to a PO Box ...
Interesting, but 1) that seem like a bit of a pain because then you have to go somewhere to get your main, and 2) don't they just send the junk there?
Old 05-11-2003, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Broom
Quote:
Originally posted by rumatt
Interesting, but 1) that seem like a bit of a pain because then you have to go somewhere to get your main, and 2) don't they just send the junk there?
1) Yes you would have to go to the PO box to get your stuff ... I have one close to my home and I have one that happens to be next to my work which is about 50 miles away from my home ... so everyday or however often you want, you pick up your mail when you get off of work at the post office ... If you get huge packages sent to you ... they put it in a big post office box, then they put the key in your box and you get it whenever you want ... you don't have to risk someone stealing it from your front door ... ... Only drawback is UPS and Airborne do not deliver to PO Boxes ... so you have to have a back up plan ... I send boxes like that to work or my parents home ...

2) Yes, you can get junk mail ... but when you fill out your change of address form, mark no junk mail ... then you get very few, you only get the junk mail from the neighboorhood stores ... there is a HUGE trash can in the post office ... pitch and take only what you want ...

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming ~ WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 05-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
rumatt,

Sign up under the link that Alee posted . . . I have gotten maybe 3 calls in the last year and those calls ended VERY fast when I tell them it is illegal for them to call my house under the NY State law

BTW before signing up for that program (or whatever you call it) we used to get constants calls like you are experiencing
Old 05-18-2003, 07:23 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally posted by AF330i
rumatt,

Yep. I think I will. I originally didn't because I was thinking we would just cancel our land line. But now it looks like we'll be keeping it because my wife doesn't want to get rid of it. Oh well. I would prefer to save the $40/month and deal with the reception on my cell phone, but hey..

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
Cell phones are great but when your home, who wants to make sure that 'one' phone is on and charged all the time . . .

Plus in your house you have the convenience of having as many phones as you like and never have to worry about the reception.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:10 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally posted by AF330i
Plus in your house you have the convenience of having as many phones as you like and never have to worry about the reception.
Yes, my main concern is having to carry my cell phone around all the time, even within the house.

We just use our house phone so seldomly that it's such a waste of money... Oh well.