Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Ask-A-Dealer

Ask-A-Dealer
Talk to our team of BMW Client Advisors. Get all of your buying/financing/leasing questions answered here!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
experience at the dealership

hey guys,

i thought i would just share with you my experience and check your opinion if i was right or wrong. i was negotiating a lease for 328xi. we exchanged multiple emails and phone calls with dealership and after we agreed on payment out of pocket expenses, i decided to finalize the deal... after coming to the dealership i looked at the numbers and they seemed to be legit, we shook hands and i put my signature on a lease agreement. i also gave them a 500 deposit on my credit card. after this we went to the business manager for business application and suddenly my dealer told me that i had to pay extra 281$ for new plates. we never discussed such fees before and i felt cheated. at that point i told them the deal is off and they refunded my credit card.

it is obviously not a matter of extra $300 when i was negotiating this car but i felt that this was a cheap attempt to extort an extra 300 $ at last moment...

am i right..what would you have done ?!?!

thanks for your opinion,
alex
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Assuming you had agreed to everything including drive off you did the right thing IMO.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 05-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Chocolate Salty Balls

Mein Auto: Slammin Taco
Absolutely, you did the WRONG thing I can't imagine this is the very first time you have bought a car but maybe so The plate is issued by the state government and the dealer is merely collecting the plate fee as an agent for the state. Go buy yourself a plate at the NJDMV and return to the dealer with your head hung low for making a fool of yourself

Did you specificly state that you needed a new plate and didn't have one to transfer ?
Old 05-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i/2007 Z4 3.0si
Dealers are just trying to do their job and I wouldn't fault them too much. I would allow it if they can legitimately show the charge is reasonable and necessary. Usually, taxes/title/registration are not included in negotiations because it may be impossible to compute until the deal is finalized.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:20 PM
2008 BMW 550i

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
Well, I think it goes back to what was agreed on during emails. If price agreed on was out of the door price then I won't pay it as well, but if it was just over invoice price then I would.
2006 BMW Z4 M Conv. Saphire Black/Black Nav, Heated Seats, Premium Package(sold)
Old 05-22-2008, 03:05 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex md View Post
hey guys,

i thought i would just share with you my experience and check your opinion if i was right or wrong. i was negotiating a lease for 328xi. we exchanged multiple emails and phone calls with dealership and after we agreed on payment out of pocket expenses, i decided to finalize the deal... after coming to the dealership i looked at the numbers and they seemed to be legit, we shook hands and i put my signature on a lease agreement. i also gave them a 500 deposit on my credit card. after this we went to the business manager for business application and suddenly my dealer told me that i had to pay extra 281$ for new plates. we never discussed such fees before and i felt cheated. at that point i told them the deal is off and they refunded my credit card.

it is obviously not a matter of extra $300 when i was negotiating this car but i felt that this was a cheap attempt to extort an extra 300 $ at last moment...

am i right..what would you have done ?!?!

thanks for your opinion,
alex
what does it normally cost to get new plates in NJ? when i got new NY plates from a dealer in jersey, it was about 225.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
was the deal itemized and tax, title & license broken out and stated explicitly, or were you just given a bottom-line number with no details about how it was obtained?

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 05-22-2008, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
experience at the dealership

Yes, everything was itemized, title,out of package, cap cost, gross cap cost, MF, RV,
term etc.....
I already put my signature and 281$ conversation started only when we came to BM.
Alex
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: '09 Z4 3.0i
When they itemize these items, tax, title & license are ALWAYS extra unless SPECIFICALLY addressed during discussion. Do you know where every dollar of every number comes from? Because if you do, you should know whether or not TTL are included (ie sometimes people do capitalize it). If you know each number and TTL are NOT included, then you should call your DMV to find out what the legit charges are.

The key is whether or not TTL were already added in to your bottomline number. Can you figure this out?

2009 Z4 3.0i roadster
Sapphire black, beige leather, premium, auto, comfort access, cold weather pkg, Sirius, sport, alarm, ipod & smartphone integration

BMWCCA member #402504
Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerturn View Post
Well, I think it goes back to what was agreed on during emails. If price agreed on was out of the door price then I won't pay it as well, but if it was just over invoice price then I would.
I agree with this approach. Its difficult to do something half way - since something is typically missed, and expectations shattered.

So either go in relation to invoice plus regulatory fees (no dealer fees), or out the door.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 05-27-2008, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
It looks like you were expecting to be bushed, and used any normal deviation to justify that expectation!

You could have signed the lease, and left the car parked in the dealer's lot while you ran to the MV Dep't to get your registration and plates. I'm sure the MV Dep't would have charged you the same $281, but, hey! You showed them!!! Those thieves at the stealership!!