Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 05-10-2003, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '92 325i & '03 330CiC
New Battery Failure?

The battery in my new 330Cic seems to have failed after only 1K miles!

When I tried to start the car this morning, nothing worked - Service Engine Soon came on, starter relay chattered, etc.

Figuring I had left the lights on or something else to drain the battery, I measured the battery voltage -- turned out to be slightly low. After unsuccessfully trying to jump start from my other car (and from the 200Amp output of my charger), I removed the battery and replaced it with the battery from the other car. With the replacement battery, the car starts up fine -- no problems.

The strange thing is, I can't seem to revive the old battery (now out of the car). With my charger in either the 10 amp position or the 35 amp position, I don't get more than a couple of amps of current. Could it be this nearly new battery has already failed??
The light is green, incidentally, but this doesn't guarantee the battery is healthy.
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2003, 08:56 PM
I know a thing or two...

Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Did you buy the car off of the lot or was it ordered? If it had been there for a while, it could have gone dead. If you ordered it, I don't know what else to say: Schedule a service appointment and have it taken care of.

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Old 05-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
same thing happened to me, supposed to bring the car in on Monday. I messed around earlier today and my car with everything off is has about 500 milliamps or 0.5 A drain. Is this too high? Or is it I just had a bum battery? BTW, my car was ordered and is only 6 weeks (since end of production!) 850 miles old.

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 05-10-2003, 09:41 PM

Mine was ordered, but was on the dealer's lot for more than a month before I picked it up.

I can understand my battery's not having a full charge, but it really seems to have failed, since it doesn't want to recharge except at a trickle.

A half amp discharge when the car is just sitting there seems much too much if you haven't left on the lights on (for example). Note that at that rate, you are burning 12 amp hours a day. The battery capacity is only 80 amp hours, and an unattended car should not have any trouble lasting a week.

What's really annoying is that the dealer insists that I bring in the whole car -- not just the battery -- for warrantee service. That means I either have to have it towed or buy another battery just to get it to the dealer! Seems like overkill --
Old 05-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Waiting for the d

Mein Auto: '10 335d
What about leaving your backup battery in there just to get you to the dealer and then swap it out right when you pull in?
Rechecked it, current draw actually at 90 milliamps or 0.09 amps. This definately within spec. I probably got a crappy battery like you did. Also, I've been researching old threads and it sounds like previous 3's were shipped with german made batteries. Guess what, my car came with DBM USA on the side. So I basically got the not as good douglas USA battery not the german one. Was your battery also built here?

'10 335d Monaco blue/oyster/SP/PP/Enhanced Premium Sound/nav from phillipek SBBMW
Click Here for Pics!
Old 05-11-2003, 11:58 PM

Mine appears to be a European version (was a European Delivery, though that may be irrelevant).

I bought a cheap temporary replacement battery at Pep Boys today and installed it in the car, which is now very happy. I'll drive it to the dealer leaving the original in the trunk and explain what happened. Suppose I could have had it towed to the dealer, but this seemed ridiculous.

90 ma does seems much more acceptable, though I'm a little surprised it needs even that much.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:05 AM
BMW + twisty road = fun

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally posted by highbeam
Mine was ordered, but was on the dealer's lot for more than a month before I picked it up.

I can understand my battery's not having a full charge, but it really seems to have failed, since it doesn't want to recharge except at a trickle.

A half amp discharge when the car is just sitting there seems much too much if you haven't left on the lights on (for example). Note that at that rate, you are burning 12 amp hours a day. The battery capacity is only 80 amp hours, and an unattended car should not have any trouble lasting a week.

What's really annoying is that the dealer insists that I bring in the whole car -- not just the battery -- for warrantee service. That means I either have to have it towed or buy another battery just to get it to the dealer! Seems like overkill --
Call Roadside and have them jump the car before you take it in for service.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:16 AM

I did try jumping it - didn't work -- the battery appears to be shorted.

Anyway, having installed a temporary replacement, I drove it in to the dealer this morning. There is probably something wrong with the charging circuitry, since even the second battery seems not to be taking a charge.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:10 AM

Just got back the car - the dealer replaced the battery and says that there is nothing else wrong. We shall see...